BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

To be fair this is just a EFL/Sky announcement, let's at least give the club a chance to make a statement over the next few days into what options are for supporters, as every club will be different no doubt.

I hope they do the right thing and offer those who need it cash refunds, but we'll see.

1 minute ago, Mum63 said:

What about refunds for away matches that didn’t take place

I got my refunds for the Barnsley and Wigan away games a few weeks ago, I just rang them up and asked the question. Posted them back to the club and they refunded.

7 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

I think the last three months have proved beyond doubt that the words 'football' and 'integrity' should never be used in the same sentence - they are complete strangers to one another.  The fact that Tottenham can contemplate such a loan, that Chelsea talk about spending fifty-odd million on a player and that Sunderland show such little respect for long suffering supporters shows the only priority with regard to football - money.  

After almost sixty years as a season ticket holder, my Dad getting me one as a kid and been renewing ever since - even the years I was away from Blackburn as a student - I'm actually giving serious thought as the whether I want to renew it.  I suspect blind loyalty will probably tip my hand in the end but watching matches being streamed on ifollow, or whatever it is, really holds little appeal. 

I notice the new guy at the head of the Premier League is talking about a small number of supporters being allowed back in grounds, perhaps as early as September.  Personally I wouldn't trust this government if they said it was safe to return to grounds - no doubt they, and the football authorities would be claiming that infamous 'ring of steel' around care homes was now in place around football stadiums.  When money is the driving force, safety is always a dim and distant second in terms of priorities.  I don't think I have ever been so disillusioned with the game that I've loved for so long.   

Not having a go at you in particular Parson, as I'm sure you're not alone by a long stretch, but I find it pretty bizarre that you no doubt accepted a three month or more virtual house arrest and curtailment of liberty on the advice of the Government and scientists without so much as a murmur of dissent or without even stopping to consider whether that was was proportionate, necessary or in reality likely to work.

Yet when the same Government and scientists advise it is safe to start easing restrictions, you choose not to believe them!

I also fully accept that football behind closed doors might not be for everyone and that they may choose not to renew a ST or purchase a streaming pass on that basis next season. However I think there's a big difference between not being a particular fan of the idea of BCD football but accepting it as a short term necessity, and  being concerned about safety on the one hand, but on the other using BCD football as an excuse not to renew?

Do you not think there's a distinct non sequitur or lack of logic there?

It doesn't seem that long ago since me and you were both on  a seemingly two man crusade on here to try and persuade people from turning their back on the Club as Venky's blundered from one disastrous decision to  another. I really hope you don't use all this as a reason for breaking your long and illustrious association with the Club.

I take the opposite view that whatever happens this Crisis will not be the thing that breaks my lengthy time watching the Club. The situation (for once) is not of the Club's making and out of their hands. If I ever decide to stop going, I want it to be on my own terms because I am so dissatisfied with what is being served up on the pitch in the name of entertainment.

9 hours ago, arbitro said:

The word integrity has been banded about a lot recently by many but how is changing the rules part way through a season fair? Clubs can now make five substitutions during a game which is half of the outfield players. It can't be right in my view to offer such an advantage that hasn't been afforded during the rest of the season. 

I wonder if they have thought about games going into extra time when the recent law change allowed for a extra substitution. Will that still be allowed so clubs will then be allowed six substitutes?

Farcical.

Not sure I understand the logic behind this objection.

It's the same for everyone so I can't see a lack of integrity there and it's surely a common sense move given the curtailed pre-season.

Certain Clubs have always been able to unfairly shift the goalposts part way through a season by either poaching a star player at any point off a poorer rival or latterly by spending big in January.

How is this minor temporary rule change any unfairer than that?

Edited by RevidgeBlue

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's the same for everyone so I can't see a lack of integrity there and it's surely a common sense move given the curtailed pre-season.

Certain Clubs have always been able to unfairly shift the goalposts part way through a season by either poaching a star player at any point off a poorer rival or latterly by spending big in January.

Because clubs with stronger squad depth than others can basically put out a fresh "Half A Side " with the same quality  and basically blow those without that strength out of the water  within 90mins

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stuart said:

If the only football is PL football then football is dead.

You talk about contractual obligations during a global pandemic. This is force majeure. Clubs cannot be compelled to play.

The reason they are is because they are addicted like crack addicts to TV-money-heroin (to “pay (ridiculous) wages and (obscene) transfer fees”) and going cold turkey is going to hurt.

I’ve no sympathy for them.

BCD is not football.

It might not be possible to compel Clubs to play but if they don't then surely you don't expect them to be able to keep money already paid for a service they haven't or can't subsequently deliver.

If I've read you correctly your overall position on ST refunds is you would like one from Rovers to compensate for the games you'll be unable to view in the flesh.

If you expect a refund off the Club, surely by the same line of reasoning the TV Companies should be able to get one off the Clubs as well!

27 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Because clubs with stronger squad depth than others can basically put out a fresh "Half A Side " with the same quality  and basically blow those without that strength out of the water  within 90mins

Some Clubs have always had stronger squad depth than others. That's just looking for things to complain about for the sake of it.

9 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Sobering post.

If fans with the passion and commitment of Parson and JH, dedication going back decades are considering knocking it on the head, then we really are staring down the barrel of the end to football as a mass spectator sport in this country.

The authorities, a bit like some on here, are completely in denial to what’s about to hit the game.

Yes, there's no doubt that across the game as a whole, paying to watch BCD games on a stream even temporarily, won't be for everyone.

This is where we will see if Waggott is really worth his corn. Will he be able to come up with anything innovative, or will his solution be to do what he's done thus far, squeeze the everdwindling hard core even harder?.

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

No surprises that Sunderland are ones potentially depriving their fans of refunds. I suspect they will be one of the hardest hit clubs with their owners, overheads and likely missing out on promotion again. 

I'd like to see the small print that allows the club to replace match tickets with access to Ifollow without the option of a refund. I'd also like to know how they are going to stop a season ticket holder from hooking his account up to a pub and broadcasting it to many others who don't pay for access.

What happens if you share a house and tv with 3-4 other season ticket holders. Why should they get less for their money than someone who lives alone?

What happens if you don't have a tv licence, satellite tv or internet? You might laugh but i know people who don't. 

Can of worms opening here.

No surprises there hasn't been a word from Waggott or Rovers as to what the options are going to be. Suspect he will be minded to at least encourage fans to accept Ifollow as the alternative.

I'd like him to explain why i should do that and not have a refund whilst the club has been paying Charlie Mulgrew to not play for 6 months.

I don't expect a refund from the Club as the situation isn't their fault. Indeed I'd go as far as saying I wouldn't dream of asking for one.

However I accept that that isn't everyone's position and that technically people are entitled to refunds even if I personally would feel very uncomfortable requesting one.

I think the deafening silence from the Club on the issue is really poor. Rather than say nothing I'd have a lot more respect if they were up front and honest and said that whilst they would like to be in a position to offer refunds, they're simply not in a position to do so.

All boils down to the players at the end of the day. Maybe if they'd said some time ago that they were going without their wage or at least accepting a very substantial reduction for the forseeable rather than a piddling little deferral, I might feel more minded to consider asking for a refund.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

I’ve noticed you ‘don’t see the logic’ or find the views ‘bizarre’.

Humans often aren’t ‘logical’, we are emotional beings, and there will be many, many fans far less committed than arbito or Parson coming to the exact same conclusion next time STs on sale. It’s not just about ifollow.

Health and financial worries coupled with being out of the match day habit will create a perfect storm.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Some Clubs have always had stronger squad depth than others. That's just looking for things to complain about for the sake of it.

Not really the case . Suddenly having five substitutions takes away the managers dilemmas .How many times have we got down to our last Sub ..hoping its X player when its Y. How many on here have complained   TM has got it wrong 

Now even TM cant fuck up substitutions with five! Taking away the integrity  and skill of man managing at team during 90mins. Five subs  with a strong squad ..cant fail.

Barnsley get to 75 mins hanging on for a draw and suddenly Leeds use their last THREE subs to smash um in the last 15 mins after their first TWO didnt work out.

It will be like American Football ..players coming on left right and centre ..or ..just like a pre season friendly. Bollox

• Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I’ve noticed you ‘don’t see the logic’ or find the views ‘bizarre’.

Humans often aren’t ‘logical’, we are emotional beings, and there will be many, many fans far less committed than arbito or Parson coming to the exact same conclusion next time STs on sale. It’s not just about ifollow.

Health and financial worries coupled with being out of the match day habit will create a perfect storm.

I'm sure you're right. 

I'd say there was more than enough reason for a lot of  people not to renew on the basis the entertainment is s***e  alone without any of this.

1 hour ago, Mum63 said:

What about refunds for away matches that didn’t take place

I had tickets for Barnsley away, phoned the ticket ofice and they said send the tickets in to them and they'll refund 

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

It will be like American Football ..players coming on left right and centre ..or ..just like a pre season friendly. Bollox

Just on that point I understand there'll be three windows only during which each side can bring on up to five players so that in terms of disrupting or stopping the game it won't be any different from previously.

27 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

All boils down to the players at the end of the day. Maybe if they'd said some time ago that they were going without their wage or at least accepting a very substantial reduction for the forseeable rather than a piddling little deferral, I might feel more minded to consider asking for a refund.

I see it the other way to be honest, if the players & directors had all taken huge pay cuts (not deferrals) then I would look at my £60/70 or whatever it is and think "fair enough, we're all pulling the same way together, keep the money"

However, as others have said, if the club can afford to pay Ritchie Smallwood and Charlie Mulgrew thousands of pounds a week to do nothing, and double all the directors salaries, then why shouldn't I ask for my £60 back?

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

Can't wait for the season to restart personally.

Of course it's not the same, neither is working from home and not being able to go for a few pints in the boozer but it is what it is and you can either embrace it and make the most of it or sulk about it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm sure you're right. 

I'd say there was more than enough reason for a lot of  people not to renew on the basis the entertainment is s***e  alone without any of this.

And I imagine a fair few folk will be thinking just that once out the habit;

’Did I spend so much time and money on bang average football’.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Just on that point I understand there'll be three windows only during which each side can bring on up to five players so that in terms of disrupting or stopping the game it won't be any different from previously.

Its not the stopping of the game thats a problem ..it the simple fact that bigger clubs with strength in depth get to flex their muscles more than they would have done with only three subs. Christ ..even i could manage to get Rothwell on ..and i dont even rate him and get apat on the back from BRFCS !

Its taking away the skill in the game Rev ..ie tactics man management  yellow cards etc etc where a manager has to think ..not just go its ok we ve five subs left we ll   simply rotate a position .

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

And I imagine a fair few folk will be thinking just that once out the habit;

’Did I spend so much time and money on bang average football’.

Well my local boozer will be seeing less of me after what ive saved these last ten weeks or so !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

How can the rules change part way through. Earlier in the season having the opportunity to use five substitutes may well have brought about different results and different tactics from clubs. Of course we'll never know for sure but I but I don't believe there has ever been a precedent for such a radical change part way there season.

Your point about signings in January is moot because the rules are in place at the beginning of the season, not being  changed part way through.

Interesting to see the approach in terms of seemingly the large proportion of supporters who have no interest in behind closed doors football. I suspect that the attitude towards them will be tough luck.

I have never had an ifollow account but I have also heard before that it can be unreliable so suspect the increase in demand may cause problems too.

• Like 1