BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

6,000 rattling around a 31,000 all seater ground? I doubt it!

At least mid 80s Ewood had some terrace induced atmosphere to fall back on...

There was nothing better than the surge forward after a goal was scored back in the 80's,it was a bit dangerous looking back at it but still good times were had even though the crowds werent great.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2020 at 15:24, roversfan99 said:

Just watching Bayer Leverkusen v Bayern Munich and they have crowd noises after a goal and I can honestly say that they sound ridicilious and make a further mockery of it all.

Fake crowd noise isn't for me but I cant see what the issue if you have the option to turn it on or off!

I think it could be quite interesting if you can catch a bit of what is coming from the respective benches once our Leagues return.

• Like 1

A study has come out which says that empty stadiums negate any home advantage; No crowd, no benefit

Is this good news for Rovers? From this table they are 7th in home form and 13th away; Home and away tables Championship. West Brom have earned more points away than at the Hawthorns.

If the study holds true away form should pick up. I commented a few weeks back that as Ewood is 2/3rd's empty they don't really get that advantage to begin with.

3 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

A study has come out which says that empty stadiums negate any home advantage; No crowd, no benefit

Is this good news for Rovers? From this table they are 7th in home form and 13th away; Home and away tables Championship. West Brom have earned more points away than at the Hawthorns.

If the study holds true away form should pick up. I commented a few weeks back that as Ewood is 2/3rd's empty they don't really get that advantage to begin with.

I suppose though that although there may be some logic to thinking that our home advantage is diluted or not as prevalent as other teams due to our attendances, our home record is better than our league position so I suppose that doesnt ring true. 4 "home games" left and 5 "away" so suppose there is a slight advantage.

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

League 1 and 2 seasons officially over https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52705124

Issue is now, if the majority of L1/L2 clubs couldn’t afford to finish this season with no fans in the ground, how could they possibly start next season BCD?

What on earth will have become of the pyramid if fans aren’t allowed back for say, 12 months?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Second Rovers player in Charley Doyle announces his end of contract at the club. Himself and Jack Evans posted on Twitter today.

Retained list due any time.

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Issue is now, if the majority of L1/L2 clubs couldn’t afford to finish this season with no fans in the ground, how could they possibly start next season BCD?

What on earth will have become of the pyramid if fans aren’t allowed back for say, 12 months?

That's a very good question as a number of people have suggested that the greatest pressure on football below the top 2 divisions will come August/September time if there are no revenues incoming . I would support a loan from the government to keep clubs going, repayable from say 2 to 3 years time provided various conditions were met ;

1. Loan to be backed by a guarantee from the Premier League so no public money at risk.

2. Implementation of a salary cap.

3. No club permitted to pay transfer fees, signing on fees or agents fees until they have repaid all of any part of the loan they have accessed.

12 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Completely agree, in my humble opinion the whole of the EFL need to be back around a table tomorrow coming up with a plan for that very (probable) outcome.

I don't actually think the Premier League will offer help, they need to steady their own leaking ship.

Quite funny that the PPG system has knocked Peterborough out of the play offs and propelled Wycombe up to 3rd. Their owner and Fergie will be fuming.

In normal circumstances I'd be of the view that Coventry should be denied promotion given they dont have a stadium. But since games next year will be shut to fans it probably doesn't make much difference.

A little sympathy for Tranmere who were putting up a good fight for survival but now get relegated but then again Southend and Bolton fully deserve relegation and no sympathy there. Both have been awful and it would be a travesty if either survived on a technicality.

I see there are still questions about relegation out of the League. I wonder what they will do with a space to fill due to Bury's demise. It seems there is a chance they will knock more points off Macclesfield which could see them go instead of Stevenage. With Barrow likely to come up and 4 quite northern clubs in the play off spots in the conference I expect to see the EFL give Stevenage a  reprieve. They won't want to relegate a southern club and tip the balance towards the north. 

I wonder why Bolton didn't face punishment for not paying players whilst Macclesfield have already had 11 points deducted and could face more....

Edited by JHRover

31 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

well if you listened to Fleetwood owner this morning on Sky Sports football show he mention that they would need help to survive next season whether this was a Government loan or bigger payment from the PL, PFA help. He is also in favour of a Salary cap coming in place. 

I agree with @Mashed Potatoes post on his 3 ideas.

I think Salary cap should come in place for League 1 and 2 clubs. But I also think that if Owners of clubs are willing to invested in their clubs with their own money and not borrowing money from banks then they should be allow. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well if you listened to Fleetwood owner this morning on Sky Sports football show he mention that they would need help to survive next season whether this was a Government loan or bigger payment from the PL, PFA help. He is also in favour of a Salary cap coming in place. 

I agree with @Mashed Potatoes post on his 3 ideas.

I think Salary cap should come in place for League 1 and 2 clubs. But I also think that if Owners of clubs are willing to invested in their clubs with their own money and not borrowing money from banks then they should be allow. 

Sorry Mr Chadwick, I’ll make sure I’ve listened to all SSN interviews before I comment in future! <_<

Well obviously they need bail outs, we’ve been discussing that on here for weeks. Indeed it’s the only way for them to start playing again at best, survive at worst from what I can see.

However, you can’t just pin your survival on a possible loan that may/may not arrive at some point in the future. For any re-start these clubs will have to service their fixed costs that would need paying immediately. The government? perhaps, considering Tottenham have arranged one with the BofE. The PFA? They are a trade union, they can’t bail out 40/50 distressed companies! The PL? They should, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

But there’s no guarantees, so what’s the plan then? Salary cap? There will be no salaries to cap. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

• Backroom

shame for Bolton I think they would have survived without this, they were just about to go on a huge win streak.

Also gutted for Sunderland.

Sad times......

Joking aside it seems amazingly folly, imagine they did the same in the Championship, we would have missed the play offs by one win, sure we would have approach that last game slightly differently knowing it was last chance.

Not saying there was a better way but it would still be a tough one to take  

Edited by Tom

As Fleetwood owner made the point this morning his other businesses have taken a hit through this pandemic. So the money he would have isnt there. 

The government could offer a bail out for each clubs with repayments options over 3 or 4 years period. Some clubs wont need a bail out and some will. The PL and FA should be helping the League 1 and 2 clubs out with funding and loans. 

Pilley mentioned the PFA this morning. 

Salary cap will have to come in league 1 and 2 for clubs to survive. 

The league 1 vote 18 to 4 to finish the season on Points Per Game basis with 4 teams in playoffs and 3 teams going down. 1 team didnt vote due to no internet 

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Exactly. And that’s why some people need to get real on here to the absolute dire straits the lower leagues are in.

I have only returned to this board in the last couple of days but who isn't aware of the problems they face ? 

But it won't just be the lower leagues. I think the Championship will be vulnerable as well , and those looking for a large number of incomings to Rovers before next season I think are doomed to be disappointed.

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You’ve just repeated your last post, what happens if they don’t get these loans (loans that don’t exist currently)?

The EFL would need to go the Government and Treasury and ask for the loans. Other businesses are doing it. 

Otherwise they go bust. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The EFL would need to go the Government and Treasury and ask for the loans. Other businesses are doing it. 

Otherwise they go bust. 

So you do agree with my original point that the football pyramid is in a real mess?

Just now, Mattyblue said:

So you do agree with my original point that the football pyramid is in a real mess?

Matty I posted many weeks ago(around 6nor 7 weeks ago) about the EFL clubs in league 1 and 2 would need to survive. I've never said otherwise..

That’s the first time you’ve acknowledged that many clubs could go to the wall. Usually it’s been ‘well this could happen’, ‘the FA/PL/PFA could that’.

We all hope that loans are offered by the ‘football family’, but knowing the ineptness of the FA and the shoulder shruggers of the PL, it doesn’t seem very likely.

Rugby League has already sorted a government bailout, if EFL clubs are going to go down the same road, they and the government need to get into negotiations very quickly...

Edited by Mattyblue

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Wonder why the Championship haven't done the same.

Because they can just about afford not to and League 1 and League 2 Clubs can't.

Too much self interest at play. More Clubs with nothing left to play for this season than ones with anything at stake.

A desperately sad day for the integrity of the game and the current pyramid in general imo. Wonder if we'll ever see a lot of those Leagues 1 and 2 clubs again.

Mind you it's hard to have too much sympathy with any Club who voted to finish the season early out of self interest who subsequently find themselves staring down the barrel.