BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Republic of Ireland 11

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I hadn't heard of some of the guys mentioned, thanks for the heads up. 

Given

Kenna Moran Lenihan Cunningham

Reid Rogers

Duff             McEvoy           Brotherson

Stapelton 

Not a bad 3 behind the striker. The 2 centre halves wouldn't be afraid of a scrap! 

I'd have Mick McGrath in there instead of Reid. He was very much in the David Batty mold of a gritty, hard working  unspectacular player who was more skillful than he was given credit for. He suffered in comparison from playing in the same team as Ronnie Clayton. He holds the record of being the first Rovers player ever to be subbed. Against the red rats at Old Trafford. I was there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd have Mick McGrath in there instead of Reid. He was very much in the David Batty mold of a gritty, hard working  unspectacular player who was more skillful than he was given credit for. He suffered in comparison from playing in the same team as Ronnie Clayton. He holds the record of being the first Rovers player ever to be subbed. Against the red rats at Old Trafford. I was there.

If you never saw Eamon Rogers play he was a David Dunn who could tackle. He could play anywhere apart from centre half and frequently did. Mainly in centre midfield but he played out wide some of the time and full back.on a few occasions.  All the time looking a natural in whatever position. He had that priceless ability carry the ball from the half way line to the penalty box. He didn't take a backward step either. He missed his way and just allowed his career to fizzle out after a badly advised move to Charlton.

Andy Mac fell out of love with football when he still had plenty left in the tank. He packed it in to go driving trams in Dublin allegedly !

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I hadn't heard of some of the guys mentioned, thanks for the heads up. 

Given

Kenna Moran Lenihan Cunningham

Reid Rogers

Duff             McEvoy           Brotherson

Stapelton 

Not a bad 3 behind the striker. The 2 centre halves wouldn't be afraid of a scrap! 

who is Brotherson?

15 hours ago, renrag said:

When Andy McEvoy came over to Blackburn, he hadn’t been here long before he became desperately homesick, decided it wasn’t for him. He packed his bags and went home. Johnny Carey held him in such high regard he went over to Ireland and persuaded him to give it another go.

His career as an inside forward wasn’t going anywhere when, in an emergency, he was given a run at wing half and was outstanding. Later on in another emergency, he was pushed back up front, by Jack Marshall, and formed a partnership with Fred Pickering which was sensational, feeding on an endless supply from Bryan Douglas.

As you say he fell out of love with English football and went back to Ireland to play for Limerick and then later drove trams in Bray. He died prematurely in his mid 50’s. He was a unique talent and so sad that at the time he was in/approaching his prime years, he felt he’d had enough of the English game.

Andy had an equally prolific partnership with John Byrom when he replaced Fred Pickering.

Andy in two seasons.  - 36 goal from from 41 games in season 63-64. ( 3 hatricks  plus 4 goals in 2 games ). 32 goals from 42 games in season 64-65. ( 2 hat tricks ). All playing at the top level.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

On 25/03/2020 at 15:24, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you never saw Eamon Rogers play he was a David Dunn who could tackle. He could play anywhere apart from centre half and frequently did. Mainly in centre midfield but he played out wide some of the time and full back.on a few occasions.  All the time looking a natural in whatever position. He had that priceless ability carry the ball from the half way line to the penalty box. He didn't take a backward step either. He missed his way and just allowed his career to fizzle out after a badly advised move to Charlton.

Andy Mac fell out of love with football when he still had plenty left in the tank. He packed it in to go driving trams in Dublin allegedly !

There probably wasn't a huge amount of difference in the money between the 2 jobs then. 

Actually you have given me an idea....

New thread incoming 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...