Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers best ever Premier League 11

Just now, Amo said:

Not objectively the best or most balanced but:

Friedel

Seb Perez - Amoruso - Henchoz-  Unsal

Thompson - Dunn - Tugay - Duff

Jansen - Santa Cruz

You might be the only rovers fan to ever leave Shearer and Hendry out of that 11.

unusual choices ? Are these your favourite 11 for reasons other than ability ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

You might be the only rovers fan to ever leave Shearer and Hendry out of that 11.

unusual choices ? Are these your favourite 11 for reasons other than ability ?

Gets boring seeing the same old names. And Shearer & co. were before my time.

Jansen and Roque would complement each other beautifully imo. 

Perez was quality, just didn't settle here. I'd argue Henchoz was a better centre-back than Hendry, Samba etc. His medals would back that up. He just had the misfortune of playing in Hodgson's relegation side.

Don't think we've been blessed with many great left-backs in recent history. Everyone else is going to pick Le Saux.

Amoruso is a legend. Simple as.

20 minutes ago, Amo said:

Not objectively the best or most balanced but:

Friedel

Seb Perez - Amoruso - Henchoz-  Unsal

Thompson - Dunn - Tugay - Duff

Jansen - Santa Cruz

No Hendry, Sherwood or Shearer. 

Jansen is one of my favourite players but Shearer and Sutton was a deadly partnership in terms of goals. I like Mike Newell or Kevin Gallagher with Shearer. 

• Moderation Lead

Friedel

Neill        Samba        Hendry       Le Saux

Bentley          Tugay         Dunn     Duff

Bellamy      Shearer

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Friedel

Bellamy      Shearer

Very hard to argue with this.

friedel

neill       hendry       samba      mikey gray

ripley                tugay           dunn         duff

shearer               jansen

i cannot believe someone has put amaruso in?he was ok apart from the fact that my grandad was probably quicker and he lost a leg in the war

• Like 6

Friedel

Hendry Nelsen

Tugay

Jansen Roque Shearer Sutton McCarthy Bellamy

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Friedel

Bellamy      Shearer

Agree with this with two minor quibbles 

1) I don't think realistically Dunn and Tugay could play together in the middle. They were exact contempories at Rovers and virtually never did as there's not a tackle between them. So I would argue you would have to pick an enforcer alongside Tugay - probably I would go for Savage.

2) Hard to drop Nelsen who was absolutely superb. But then both Samba and Hendry were great.

It's interesting that most people pick more players from the 2000s rather than the 90s. But I agree that the Hughes team was largely better than the Dalgliesh team, Shearer apart who was absolutely phenomenal.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

I think obviously the 94-95 will make up the core of the side, I have tried to add a few players in that I think would have been upgrades to what we had at the time.

Friedel

Berg Hendry Nelson Le Saux

Ripley Tugay Sherwood Duff

Shearer Santa Cruz

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Agree with this with two minor quibbles 

1) I don't think realistically Dunn and Tugay could play together in the middle. They were exact contempories at Rovers and virtually never did as there's not a tackle between them. So I would argue you would have to pick an enforcer alongside Tugay - probably I would go for Savage.

2) Hard to drop Nelsen who was absolutely superb. But then both Samba and Hendry were great.

It's interesting that most people pick more players from the 2000s rather than the 90s. But I agree that the Hughes team was largely better than the Dalgliesh team, Shearer apart who was absolutely phenomenal.

To point 1 - hypothetically this works but in practice it would not for the reasons you stated. I'd have David Batty in there, probably for Tugay as Dunn has more goals in him. Batty is overlooked by many Rovers fans. He won player of the year ahead of 30 goal Shearer in his first season. He was class. He got injured and hardly played in 94-95 then left for Newcastle shortly thereafter. Another nostalgic what if pick is Paul Warhust. Without 2 broken legs he'd have been in the starting 11 either at central defence or central midfield.

To point 2 - Rovers were never blessed with world class centre halves, but had plenty that were strong and organised. Hendry was no footballer, but he had guts galore. Samba was a physical presence. Nelsen was cool and collected. Henchoz was good too. My off the wall pick - Patrik Andersson. Signed at the same time as Henning Berg (the first time). He couldn't get a game at Ewood but won a Champs League with Bayern Munich a few years later.

This team would take some beating!

Friedel

Berg        Samba        Hendry       Le Saux

Bentley          Tugay         Batty     Duff

Bellamy      Shearer

• Like 2

3 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

To point 1 - hypothetically this works but in practice it would not for the reasons you stated. I'd have David Batty in there, probably for Tugay as Dunn has more goals in him. Batty is overlooked by many Rovers fans. He won player of the year ahead of 30 goal Shearer in his first season. He was class. He got injured and hardly played in 94-95 then left for Newcastle shortly thereafter. Another nostalgic what if pick is Paul Warhust. Without 2 broken legs he'd have been in the starting 11 either at central defence or central midfield.

To point 2 - Rovers were never blessed with world class centre halves, but had plenty that were strong and organised. Hendry was no footballer, but he had guts galore. Samba was a physical presence. Nelsen was cool and collected. Henchoz was good too. My off the wall pick - Patrik Andersson. Signed at the same time as Henning Berg (the first time). He couldn't get a game at Ewood but won a Champs League with Bayern Munich a few years later.

I agree with you about David Batty. A very under rated player.