Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

On the back of....Best Rovers Scottish eleven

Billy Mckinlay, Paul Dickov, Barry 

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Blacklaw

Dawson,  Hendry,  Hanley, Davidson

K. Gally,  Ferguson,  Millar,  Conway

Archibald,  Speedie

I would have Billy McKinley in above Ferguson, was not good for us at all. Why you got Gally on the wing? We should know how that works out :)

Dominic Matteo, Mulgrew, and Rhodes worthy of a mention too. 

9 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Billy Mckinlay, Paul Dickov, Barry 

I would have Billy McKinley in above Ferguson, was not good for us at all. Why you got Gally on the wing? We should know how that works out :)

Dominic Matteo, Mulgrew, and Rhodes worthy of a mention too. 

I'll be honest i never liked Ferguson he was a good player in his own right but just didn't fit here. I was struggling for midfielders i'd forgot about Mckinley so yeah deffo him in for wee scrote bazza.

Gally could tear away and put a good ball in and in true TM style was just shoe horning a fav of mine in.

Wouldn't have Matteo anywhere near it though.

A lot of my favourite players were Scottish. Seemed to produce a tough as nails, never say die attitude, grit and steel type players: McKinley, Hendry, Gally all of whom I regarded very highly. Loved how fiery they all were and willing to put their bodies on the line. If we had those 3 in the team now we'd be in the top 2 no doubt. (Them in their playing days obviously...)

Also Rhodes and Mulgrew need to be in there as both scored a lot of good goals. Rhodes carried the team at times whilst Mulgrew captained us to promotion and got a daft number of goals that season. 

Mind you we've had a few duds too and at cost Daily, Ferguson and not at cost Greer. 

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Unpopular opinion as i thought he wasn't up to much but Dailly gets in before Mulgrew for me any day. He actually had Prem lge pedigree whereas Mulgrew's only ever looked good here in lge 1.

Hmm you may be right. That said with Hendry, McKinley etc around I think Mulgrew would be protected and  flourish. Think we'd see the best of his passing and set pieces in this team. 

Also Mulgrew looked good in the championship in the relegation season. He was better than a league 1 player before his legs went. 

He's a quality footballer Mulgrew but never struck me as a really good defender however like you say it's what's around you that can make the difference. Coming from Celtic to here at that point was probably a bit of a shock in terms of quality and ambition.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Unpopular opinion as i thought he wasn't up to much but Dailly gets in before Mulgrew for me any day. He actually had Prem lge pedigree whereas Mulgrew's only ever looked good here in lge 1.

Could say the same for Matteo. Wasnt great for us but he did spend most of his career int he top league. in fact, he only played 26 games of his 300 outside of the top division.

16 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Could say the same for Matteo. Wasnt great for us but he did spend most of his career int he top league. in fact, he only played 26 games of his 300 outside of the top division.

A spice boy batting above his true level on the back of the local boy tag in a poor era by Liverpools standards ?

We didn't have many Scots in the 1960's but one I thought was going to make it in a big way was Malcolm Darling. He had it all apart from maybe temperament. He was quick, tricky, had a good shot in both feet and for a smallish guy he had a good leap and  he was a good header of the ball. We had three really good young home grown players in that era - Eamon Rogers, Billy Wilson and Malcolm Darling and all three were allowed to just drift away from the club for some reason. 

Just now, tomphil said:

A spice boy batting above his true level on the back of the local boy tag in a poor era by Liverpools standards ?

Well regarded by Leeds fans - 100 appearences for them in the top flight alongside his 123 for Liverpool. Average player in the top league I admit and well past his best for us but still. besides, he just had surgery on a brain tumor in November. 

• Like 1