BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

What are your favourite sports books?

Hi all,

So as this trying time we are all looking for ways to occupy ourselves and to keep our health ,both mentally and physically, as well as it can be. 

I'm big into reading, although I do like an old audiobook as well. I'm not really into your typical football autobiography as I have read some that were clearly just ways to cash in without really telling us anything. 

So , let's have it, what are your favourite sports books? My top 3 in no particular order are 

1-The greatest footballer you never saw-The Robin Friday story. Put together by a member of Oasis no less ,this is is a great read that's presented in the form of old newspaper articles and match reports. Really interesting story about a wildman of football. Credit to @Tyrone Shoelaces as his post on another thread reminded me that Friday was making as much as a block layer at times ,as he would have playing football. Different times! 

2-Boys will be boys. I know nothing about American football,nor do I even watch it now, but this book was great. A real warts and all insight into a winning American football team. 

3- Paul McGraths autobiography. Ya,I know I said I don't like these generally,but this certainly isn't a sanitized version of his life. It's actually very sad and he was very brave to be so honest. 

So,looking forward to hearing what you guys have enjoyed. Might find something to keep me occupied for a few hours!

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

‘Provided your Don’t Kiss Me’, biography of Brian Clough from the local Forest reporter who spent 20 years in close quarters with him. I just find the fella fascinating and it was a cracking read.

’Living on the volcano’, it follows football managers in their day to day. From Wenger at the top, down to League 2. Real insight to the madness of that profession.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Provided your Don’t Kiss Me’, biography of Brian Clough from the local Forest reporter who spent 20 years in close quarters with him. I just find the fella fascinating and it was a cracking read.

’Living on the volcano’, it follows football managers in their day to day. From Wenger at the top, down to League 2. Real insight to the madness of that profession.

I like the sound of them. Will check them out. Thanks. 

Actually,maybe this thread could be moved to the "I can't believe it's not football" section? Might be good to have a few non CV topics there. Thanks.  

• Moderation Lead
24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The book The Damned United and subsequent film were just brilliant.

Martin Sheen absolutely nails the likeness of Clough in that.

• Like 2

Sports book - The Dark Trade - About the murky behind the scenes stuff etc following around some famous boxers.

Football book - The Club that Jack Built - Not quite warts and all but an interesting account of Rovers rise under Jack.

I like any autobiography of football and sports most colourful characters, dying breed. Most from the last 5 years on will only need do a blog that'll cover everything because they trumpet every modern boring stereotypical thing they do daily via social media !

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Sports book - The Dark Trade - About the murky behind the scenes stuff etc following around some famous boxers.

Football book - The Club that Jack Built - Not quite warts and all but an interesting account of Rovers rise under Jack.

I like any autobiography of football and sports most colourful characters, dying breed. Most from the last 5 years on will only need do a blog that'll cover everything because they trumpet every modern boring stereotypical thing they do daily via social media !

You would like the Robin Friday one I recommended so

12 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You would like the Robin Friday one I recommended so

Yes i'll give it a read sounds good, right up my street lol Also need to read McGraths.

I believe Andy Morrison's is also good.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

A life too short by Ronald reng ( about the German goal keeper Robert enke ) a post human autobiography of sorts 

Yes, I've read that. Very good. That England opening batsman who also had mental issues wrote a very good autobiography. Just can't recall his name. Trescothick ?

1F3CB6E7-EB77-44E3-9BA8-19E2E46E0672.png “But as far as I'm concerned,the first thing you can do is chuck all your medals and allyour caps and all your pots and pansinto the biggest fucking dustbinyou can find.Because you've never wonany of them fairly.You've done it allby bloody cheating.”

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" Inverting The Pyramid " about the evolution of football formations.

Oh man no, it's too much and the writing is too small. I got a bit into it,but I just found it too much like work. 

No doubt it's great for someone who puts the time in and has a better attention span than I! 

18 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Oh man no, it's too much and the writing is too small. I got a bit into it,but I just found it too much like work. 

No doubt it's great for someone who puts the time in and has a better attention span than I! 

" Flat Back Four " by Andy Gray is on a similar theme and is better than you'd think given the author. A really good old one if you can find it Is " Soccer for Thinkers " ( I think It's called ) by Malcolm Allison.

• Like 1

The best non football sports book ive read recently is The Russian Five.Its about Detroit Red Wings in the 1990's and their attempts to smuggle Russian ice hockey players out of Russia and get them out to America to play for them in the NHL.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DeeCee said:

The Clark Carlisle one isn't bad "you don't know me but" I think it's called? Can't remember exactly, got it from the library a few years back

I've  never bought Clarke and his mental illness,  just get the gut feeling he's swinging it a bit that one ......

• Moderation Lead
9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I've  never bought Clarke and his mental illness,  just get the gut feeling he's swinging it a bit that one ......

Apart from that time he attempted suicide....