BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

22 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Sounds like another Warriors type film (which was based on the ancient Greek Anabasis by Xenophon)

Maybe like Lone Survivor too  ...DVD arrived today from Amazon..Filmed in Banktop and its side streets..

Edited by JC4LAB

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Saw the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday. Quite an enjoyable film, and the lad that played Freddie Mercury really nailed it, but my God there were a lot of inaccuracies in the story, which even I spotted, and I'm not a huge fan of Queen.

Freddie's biographer (Lesley Anne Jones) said it wasn't a true representation as May and Taylor got involved and dumbed it down to make it a rose tinted spectacles job.

• 11 months later...
  • Backroom

Nearly a year since this last was bumped!

What did people think of The Irishman? I thought it was a touch long (3hrs would've done it justice, imo) but it was a typical Scorsese masterclass in telling a story.

DeNiro and Pacino as awesome as ever, but I thought Pesci was the standout performer. Well worth coming out of retirement for that role. Played the slightly menacing, all-seeing mob boss to perfection imo.

Loved it.

• Like 1

Haven't seen it. Watched Knives Out last week. It was slow to start with but its quirkiness grew on me and I ended up really enjoying it.

Watched Last Christmas the week before, which was what we call in our house a Friday night film ie you come in from work so shattered that, sitting down in front of the TV, you'll watch anything provided it's not dire. Says a lot about the film when I had to look up what I'd seen as it was pretty unmemorable. It had some decent performances but the overall film wasn't even ok

Edited by gumboots

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Nearly a year since this last was bumped!

What did people think of The Irishman? I thought it was a touch long (3hrs would've done it justice, imo) but it was a typical Scorsese masterclass in telling a story.

DeNiro and Pacino as awesome as ever, but I thought Pesci was the standout performer. Well worth coming out of retirement for that role. Played the slightly menacing, all-seeing mob boss to perfection imo.

Loved it.

Going to watch it soon. 
Seen a few guides online saying you should watch it as if it was a four part TV series. 
I might do just that as 3.5 hours is a hell of a long time for one sitting!

• Backroom
18 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Going to watch it soon. 
Seen a few guides online saying you should watch it as if it was a four part TV series. 
I might do just that as 3.5 hours is a hell of a long time for one sitting!

Well, I loved it watching all in one go BUT be safer to split it into 2 or 4 if you don't already love mafia type films.

Be aware it's a story and NOT an action film.

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Well, I loved it watching all in one go BUT be safer to split it into 2 or 4 if you don't already love mafia type films.

Be aware it's a story and NOT an action film.

I thought it was brilliant. Pacino was excellent, but I agree joe Pesci was fantastic as well. Not used to seeing him play such a quiet role yet still a very dangerous man. I guess Stephen graham had the Pesci role this time and what an actor he is. The effects used to portray them all as younger men are excellent as well. Good to see de Niro and Pacino back in proper films as they’ve both sullied their careers somewhat with a load of rubbish films in recent years. Didn’t know much about Jimmy Hoffa and the teamsters so the film was an education for me ? 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We have time on our hands so let’s suggest films 

my three absolute favs are 

funny games ( original Austrian version )

magnolia 

Donnie Darko

id actually add anything by Shane meadows 

this weekend I got round to watching parasite which was pretty decent but does dine out a bit on being a novelty to many cos it’s foreign 

im currently watching prince avalanche which is a film close to my heart ( Texas fires )

• 5 months later...

ent to watch The New Mutants today at the local cinema,i think someone there needs to update their trailer list.They showed 4 trailers and 2 have been pushed back until mid '21 and another was Mulan whaich isnt going to be shown in Cinemas anymore,its been moved to Disney +

• 1 year later...
  • Backroom
15 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Is there a film thread on here? I was going to give my thoughts on the new Bond film but can't find a film thread.

This is it. Most people haven't been to the cinema in 2 years 🤣

• Like 1

No Time To Die - After a few covid delays the latest Bond film is finally out and i managed to see it in a pretty full screening last night.I thought it was the best Bond film of the Daniel Craig stint but i have a feeling it's going to split Bond fans down the middle.I think Cinemas will be happy too as my local cinema has virtually sold out screenings for the first few days.I would say if you are planning to see it do it soon as there are a couple of things in it that the internet will probably ruin it for you if you leave it too long.

10 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

No Time To Die - After a few covid delays the latest Bond film is finally out and i managed to see it in a pretty full screening last night.I thought it was the best Bond film of the Daniel Craig stint but i have a feeling it's going to split Bond fans down the middle.I think Cinemas will be happy too as my local cinema has virtually sold out screenings for the first few days.I would say if you are planning to see it do it soon as there are a couple of things in it that the internet will probably ruin it for you if you leave it too long.

Great review without giving anything away, tried to get in local at short notice tbh and both places full for the screenings we could go to, I'll tell her to not look lol, be on Fools Book already I'd imagine 😞

• 3 weeks later...

Venom :  Let There Be Carnage

I think i was one of the few people that enjoyed the first Venom film. You need to leave the brain at the door in these kind of films and not just question everything.The scenes between Venom and Tom Hardy bickering were the best part of it,being a Marval film there's plenty of CGI,You also have Woody Harrelson in his best psycotic killer mode. I would say if you go to see it stay for the mid credits scene. Overall 90 mins of escapism fun.

3 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Venom :  Let There Be Carnage

I think i was one of the few people that enjoyed the first Venom film. You need to leave the brain at the door in these kind of films and not just question everything.The scenes between Venom and Tom Hardy bickering were the best part of it,being a Marval film there's plenty of CGI,You also have Woody Harrelson in his best psycotic killer mode. I would say if you go to see it stay for the mid credits scene. Overall 90 mins of escapism fun.

I’m with you on Venom, I was pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a good, fun movie. Was wondering how the sequel would hold up but from what I’ve heard it’s much the same - enjoyable and not cerebral. 

Watched Bond last weekend and loved it. Definitely my favourite of the more recent movies in the franchise. 

For me the next movie to get excited about is Dune. So far reviews have not been glowing but I love the big, epic space opera on the big screen. Coming from Denis Villeneuve, I’m expecting a sci fi treat. Loved his take on blade runner, and arrival is a wonderful film. At any rate, his version has to be better than the 80s release!

• Like 1