BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Probably like many of us at the moment I’ve been doing a fair bit of reading. I’ve got a pretty good collection of Rovers books and I’ve rediscovered some long forgotten facts about our great club!

So I’ve compiled a quiz of 20 questions about the Rovers which I would like to share. If you, like me, love quizzing then I hope it might help provide a much needed distraction and some enjoyment in these difficult days 

There are 20 questions but the total score is 36. If you want to PM me your answers then I’m more than happy to give you your score!

Q1. Rovers didn’t have one of these for the first 46 years but have had one every year since then, What is it?

Q2. Which player was sold to become our record transfer fee received?

Q3. In the 1960’s Rovers were asked to represent England in an international competition. Where was it held?

Q4. Which player has made the most appearances for the club?

Q5. Which player has scored the most goals in a Rovers shirt?

Q6. Rovers have been beaten twice by the same team in our Charity Shield history. Who was it?

Q7. In which Blackburn street was Jack Walker born? 
Q8. In our great Prem Title season which was the only team to do the double over us? 
Q9. Besides Ewood, Rovers have played at 4 other venues across town. Can you name them?

Q10. Our FA Cup tie against Charlton in 1947 at the Valley was unique for what reason?

Q11. Who were Rovers first shirt sponsors?

Q12. Who was our first £1m player signing?

Q13. During Roy Hodgson’s reign as manager we had 3 goalkeepers whose surname began with the letter F. Who were they?

Q14. Which manager signed Matt Jansen and from which club?

Q15. Jorge Gonzalez Dias played for us in which Cup Final?

Q16. Dino Baggio made his Rovers debut at which current League Two ground?

Q17. Who were Tony Mowbray’s first opponents as Rovers manager?

Q18. Mark Hughes took us to 2 semifinals during his time as manager. Who beat us on each occasion?

Q19. Who are the youngest and oldest players to play for Rovers since WW2?

Q20. Can you name the 9 managers who have served under the Venkys?

Well done for getting this far! As I said if you want to PM me with your answers I’m happy to give you your score. I’ve got plenty of time on my hands!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

q6. Are you sure we’ve been beaten by the same side twice in the charity shield? 94 and 95 were against different teams. So was 1912.

We played in the Charity Shield in 1928 too after our last FA Cup win...

47 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

q6. Are you sure we’ve been beaten by the same side twice in the charity shield? 94 and 95 were against different teams. So was 1912.

q18. Do you mean FA Cup semi finals? We reached the league cup semis with Hughes as well. We reached the semis again under Allardyce.

Yes to be clear they are both FA Cup semis. The years were 2005 and 2007. 

We’ve been in the Charity Shield 4 times and we have met the same team twice.

5 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

Well done to Renrag who scored 30/36 but he’s been replaced by Oldjamfan at the top of the Leaderboard with 32/36.

Can anyone beat that?

One of them I'm kicking myself for getting wrong but a couple of guesses turned out to be right. A couple of them I quite literally had no idea. Great stuff Tony!!

On 29/03/2020 at 19:56, tonygreenbank said:

Probably like many of us at the moment I’ve been doing a fair bit of reading. I’ve got a pretty good collection of Rovers books and I’ve rediscovered some long forgotten facts about our great club!

So I’ve compiled a quiz of 20 questions about the Rovers which I would like to share. If you, like me, love quizzing then I hope it might help provide a much needed distraction and some enjoyment in these difficult days 

There are 20 questions but the total score is 36. If you want to PM me your answers then I’m more than happy to give you your score!

Q1. Rovers didn’t have one of these for the first 46 years but have had one every year since then, What is it?A Manager

Q2. Which player was sold to become our record transfer fee received?

Roque Santa Cruz

Q3. In the 1960’s Rovers were asked to represent England in an international competition. Where was it held?

USA (but allowed Anglo-French Cup when we played Nancy)

Q4. Which player has made the most appearances for the club?

Fazackerley

Q5. Which player has scored the most goals in a Rovers shirt?

Simon Garner

Q6. Rovers have been beaten twice by the same team in our Charity Shield history. Who was it?

Everton

Q7. In which Blackburn street was Jack Walker born? 
Randall St.
Q8. In our great Prem Title season which was the only team to do the double over us? 

Man Utd
Q9. Besides Ewood, Rovers have played at 4 other venues across town. Can you name them?

Oozehead Lane, Pleasington, Leamington Road and Alexandra Meadows

Q10. Our FA Cup tie against Charlton in 1947 at the Valley was unique for what reason

The first FA Cup tie other than the Final to be televised.

Q11. Who were Rovers first shirt sponsors?

ICI Perspex

Q12. Who was our first £1m player signing?

Mike Newell

Q13. During Roy Hodgson’s reign as manager we had 3 goalkeepers whose surname began with the letter F. Who were they?

Filan, Fettis and Flowers

Q14. Which manager signed Matt Jansen and from which club?
Brian Kidd from C.Palace

Q15. Jorge Gonzalez Dias played for us in which Cup Final?

Worthington Final  v. Spurs

Q16. Dino Baggio made his Rovers debut at which current League Two ground?

Morecambe 

Q17. Who were Tony Mowbray’s first opponents as Rovers manager?
Burton Albion

Q18. Mark Hughes took us to 2 semifinals during his time as manager. Who beat us on each occasion?
Arsenal and Chelsea( also Man Utd in League Cup)

Q19. Who are the youngest and oldest players to play for Rovers since WW2?

Ronnie Clayton and Tugay

Q20. Can you name the 9 managers who have served under the Venkys?

Allardyce, Kean, Berg, Appleton, Black, Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle and Mowbray.

Well done for getting this far! As I said if you want to PM me with your answers I’m happy to give you your score. I’ve got plenty of time on my hands!

I was mortified to give the wrong answer to Q19 to a lot of posters! When I was verifying Tugay as the oldest since the War the website mentioned Karim Rekik as our youngest player. It was only when Renrag mentioned Ronnie Clayton that the penny dropped! He was 16 when he made his debut in 1951. I’m ashamed not to have checked my sources?

Anyway well done to Oldjamfan and had.e.nuff who were joint winners with 32/36!

• Like 3

• Backroom
4 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

I was mortified to give the wrong answer to Q19 to a lot of posters! When I was verifying Tugay as the oldest since the War the website mentioned Karim Rekik as our youngest player. It was only when Renrag mentioned Ronnie Clayton that the penny dropped! He was 16 when he made his debut in 1951. I’m ashamed not to have checked my sources?

Anyway well done to Oldjamfan and had.e.nuff who were joint winners with 32/36!

16 and how many days?

48 minutes ago, Mike E said:

16 and how many days?

Hi Mike

Ronnie was born on August 8th 1934 and made his debut on April 25th 1951. I make that 16 years and 237 days. Please check!

Our youngest ever player was Harry Dennison who was 16 years and 155 days  when he made his debut.

Harry was still at Blackburn Grammar School and played one game in that 1911 season, one game the following season but he then seems to have disappeared. I would love to know what happened to him!

49 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

Hi Mike

Ronnie was born on August 8th 1934 and made his debut on April 25th 1951. I make that 16 years and 237 days. Please check!

Our youngest ever player was Harry Dennison who was 16 years and 155 days  when he made his debut.

Harry was still at Blackburn Grammar School and played one game in that 1911 season, one game the following season but he then seems to have disappeared. I would love to know what happened to him!

Quick wiki shows him resuming his career with other clubs after the first world war. Died aged 53 in 1947.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Dennison

Great quiz by the way. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, tonygreenbank said:

Hi Mike

Rekik was 18, so you're right. Had it in my head he was 16 for some reason.

28 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I was surprised that RSC was our highest fee received as I always thought it was Phil Jones. I know we had a lot of undisclosed fees around that time so I do wonder if we may have received a higher fee.

Hi Ricky

I agree with you that transfer fees are a minefield of credibility! Who do you believe?

The figures state that Roque was sold for £17.5m to Man City and that Phil Jones went for £15m to Man Utd but who knows what happens to undisclosed sections of a contract!

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

Hi Ricky

I agree with you that transfer fees are a minefield of credibility! Who do you believe?

The figures state that Roque was sold for £17.5m to Man City and that Phil Jones went for £15m to Man Utd but who knows what happens to undisclosed sections of a contract!

I always thought we got £20m+ for Samba for some reason