BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Worst Rovers 11

Following on from the joy of thinking of some our best players in our best PL 11, thoughts turned to some of our worst. I wasn't really focussing on the imposter mercenaries like Best, Murphy, Etuhu. They clearly had talent underneath their money grabbing, lazy personas. Or even the Portuguese pub players we were landed with to make some agents very rich, around the same time. I was just thinking of those players we've had that have been useless.

Steele

Orr Peacock Greer Berner

Goulon Lowe Williamson

Ward  Brown  Modeste

Subs

Fettis

Dailly

Greer

Akpan

Koita

Treacy

Stokes

Paul McKinnon always springs to mind when talking about worst players. We bought him from a non league team where he scored for fun but he actually left Rovers owing us a goal (he scored an og but none at the right end). Way out of his depth. Dave Hargreaves (RIP) had a poor time of it  at professional level under similar circumstances as I recall. 

• Like 1

sergio peter-so bad he would have struggled in a sunday morning side

maceo rigters-came with a good rep,never saw him play but apparently he was utterly terrible

jordon slew-cost us a million quid and last seen getting shown the door by chorley at 26,says it all!!!!!

tony finnegan-probably the worst player iv`e ever seen,period

shaun curry-signed by don mackay,troubled person and terrible player

honourable mentions to

per pederson,tony diamond,paul shepstone,matt dickins,anders anderson,all dawson and stuart munro

Never saw him play but heard terrible things of Richard witscghe (however that’s spelt ) not just his ability but had a really divisive attitude. If anyone can remember him ?

there have been so many poor players under the venky reign I think it should be pre venkys worst 11 because I could name a squad of 30 post

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Never saw him play but heard terrible things of Richard witscghe (however that’s spelt ) not just his ability but had a really divisive attitude. If anyone can remember him ?

Yeah, played one game away at West Ham in the 94-95 season. Looked very average.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

sergio peter-so bad he would have struggled in a sunday morning side

maceo rigters-came with a good rep,never saw him play but apparently he was utterly terrible

jordon slew-cost us a million quid and last seen getting shown the door by chorley at 26,says it all!!!!!

tony finnegan-probably the worst player iv`e ever seen,period

shaun curry-signed by don mackay,troubled person and terrible player

honourable mentions to

per pederson,tony diamond,paul shepstone,matt dickins,anders anderson,all dawson and stuart munro

Didn't Curry score the winner at Maine Road in the old second division once? And should have done likewise in a League Cup game at Spurs but for an awful decision to disallow it (against a Spurs side containing the likes of Gazza and Waddle if I remember correctly). Don't think he gets anywhere near a worst Rovers 11 to be honest.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Didn't Curry score the winner at Maine Road in the old second division once? And should have done likewise in a League Cup game at Spurs but for an awful decision to disallow it (against a Spurs side containing the likes of Gazza and Waddle if I remember correctly). Don't think he gets anywhere near a worst Rovers 11 to be honest.

im`e basing it on him continually disapearing,not turning up for training and genuinly being a pillock when his opinion of his own ability did`nt match his true ability,25 games in two and a half seasons says it all

• Like 2

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

im`e basing it on him continually disapearing,not turning up for training and genuinly being a pillock when his opinion of his own ability did`nt match his true ability,25 games in two and a half seasons says it all

He was a bit of a dick and definitely an underachiever, absolutely no doubt about that.

We're all in agreement that Fettis starts?

Apart from that you've got to make the distinction between bad attitude (Orr, Duffy, Best, Stokes, (Emnes and Joao, according to Mowbray))

Got games but were useless (Andrews, Lowe, Brown, Petrovic, Goodwillie)

Were so bad they barely got playing time (A.Anderson, P.Pederson, Myles Anderson, Portugeezers)

27 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

Matty Holmes

I don't think Matty Holmes was a bad player. He just wasn't the signing you needed or expected when you had just been crowned champions of England and were playing in the Champions League.

Just had a look on wikipedia at what happened to his career and he had a career ending injury soon after he left us to go to Charlton.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I don't think Matty Holmes was a bad player. He just wasn't the signing you needed or expected when you had just been crowned champions of England and were playing in the Champions League.

Just had a look on wikipedia at what happened to his career and he had a career ending injury soon after he left us to go to Charlton.

It always felt that Holmes was bought off the back of his performance for West Ham on the last day of the season...and that wasn't necessarily representative of his regular ability. Maybe I'm being harsh but he was a big disappointment, but you're right...we should have been looking to sign a higher quality of player at that point 

• Like 1