BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Worst Rovers 11

Fowler was ridiculously unfit when he arrived, and well past it. From that era, Amoruso was bloody awful too- never seen such a slow defender!

Looking to more recent times, Paul Taylor, Paul Caddis, Chris Brown and Wes Brown anyone? Lots of shouts for Fettis, but I would strongly argue Leutwiler is the worst keeper I’ve ever seen between our sticks. Then again, I’m too young to remember Fettis!

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 1

Goodwillie is another great shout. Goulon and Bruno Berner were terrible. The Axe put himself about but couldn't pass a ball five yards, which was a problem if you were playing central midfield. Kuqi was a cult hero but turned like the QE2 and was technically dreadful.

The 2014- 2016 time was a revolving door of crap coming in and out... Cameron Stewart, Liam Feeney, Jay Spearing, Akpan, Delfounso, Simeon Jackson, Paul Taylor, Varney and many more others have posted... 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Ricky said:

Keith Andrews not on anybody’s list?

If this was 10 years ago be would be a shoe in.

Keith Andrew's looks like Roy Keane compared to some of the crap of the last decade though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dreyski said:

People's thoughts on Per Frandsen and Kevin Davies? Decent careers but woeful for us.

Both arrived with big expectations and were a let down. Wouldn't be pushing a current worst XI though.

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The 2014- 2016 time was a revolving door of crap coming in and out... Cameron Stewart, Liam Feeney, Jay Spearing, Akpan, Delfounso, Simeon Jackson, Paul Taylor, Varney and many more others have posted... 

I honestly thought Akpan was OK at the time, gave a woeful midfield some defensive stability. 

17 hours ago, Mike E said:

For everyone picking Orr, yeah he was a bell and but not a bad fullback. Just not very good. Ribeiro, however. Sheesh!

Selective memory there, Mike. Bruno was pretty decent. He might have been a good un for us but for the whole stench around every signing at that time.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bruno Berner or Bell or Williams at left back ? Berner for me.

According to wiki he played 3 games for us - including one on loan Yet transfermarkt have him down as playing 6 times. The latter sounds more likely - but still, very dodgy indeed. If he wasn’t third party owned I’d be very surprised.

On 02/04/2020 at 22:22, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

It always felt that Holmes was bought off the back of his performance for West Ham on the last day of the season...and that wasn't necessarily representative of his regular ability. Maybe I'm being harsh but he was a big disappointment, but you're right...we should have been looking to sign a higher quality of player at that point 

You've just won the Premier League, you're in the Champions League when it actually was the Champions League. Everybody wants to come and play for you. You should be saying  " Who are our two weakest players and who can we bring in to replace them ? So we sign a reserve winger ! It was hard to believe then and it's hard to believe now. Apart from letting the Chicken Chokers buy the club that was the biggest mistake we've made since we decided to sell Fred Pickering.

17 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You've just won the Premier League, you're in the Champions League when it actually was the Champions League. Everybody wants to come and play for you. You should be saying  " Who are our two weakest players and who can we bring in to replace them ? So we sign a reserve winger ! It was hard to believe then and it's hard to believe now. Apart from letting the Chicken Chokers buy the club that was the biggest mistake we've made since we decided to sell Fred Pickering.

While I agree with the sentiment, Champions bring in two players better than their best players and lose the weakest ones by default.

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You've just won the Premier League, you're in the Champions League when it actually was the Champions League. Everybody wants to come and play for you. You should be saying  " Who are our two weakest players and who can we bring in to replace them ? So we sign a reserve winger ! It was hard to believe then and it's hard to believe now.

Exactly my thinking at the time.

Remember seeing player after player being transferred that summer and thinking "they would have been good for us" but also thinking we must have some good players lined up if we're not going for them.

I always thought we should have been in for Les Ferdinand when he moved that summer to partner Shearer, don't get me wrong I loved Sutton, but two goals between November & May in our title winning season was telling me we needed more strength up there.

A centre half, central midfielder and a left winger were probably needed too to fill out the squad. Think Gary Speed moved that summer from Leeds to Everton, would have loved him at the time too.

Edited by MarkBRFC

As far as pure dross goes those players who were signed during the Kean/Anderson/Singh era are the bottom of the barrel. They contributed to a relegation to the 3rd tier, virtually unheard of for most Rovers fans. 

Players who I can think of at the mo who deserve special mention from my Rovers supporting life are; Chris Brown, Herold Goulon, Vince Grella, Gary Talon, Barry Ferguson, Kevin Davies, Egil Ostenstad, Christian Dailly.

• Moderation Lead
On 02/04/2020 at 21:49, simongarnerisgod said:

poor keith,he did take some major abuse?,honestly i though he brought it on himself by trying to be something he was`nt,in his mind he was up there with zidane,in reality he was a player from the bottom division who got lucky

Pretty much this. Not his fault he was picked, but he really wasn’t very good at all.

I remember him in a game vs Chelsea at home where he legit ducked out of a challenge, which flew in the face of people saying he always gave his all for me.

I think some took pity on him and attempted to rewrite history as he copped a lot of flak for the above, but he was a poor player playing above his level tbh.

11 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Exactly my thinking at the time.

Remember seeing player after player being transferred that summer and thinking "they would have been good for us" but also thinking we must have some good players lined up if we're not going for them.

I always thought we should have been in for Les Ferdinand when he moved that summer to partner Shearer, don't get me wrong I loved Sutton, but two goals between November & May in our title winning season was telling me we needed more strength up there.

A centre half, central midfielder and a left winger were probably needed too to fill out the squad. Think Gary Speed moved that summer from Leeds to Everton, would have loved him at the time too.

A top class centre half and a top class left winger would have been my choices. I don't think Ferdinand and Shearer would have been a good combination to be honest. Too similar in their style of play.

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A top class centre half and a top class left winger would have been my choices. I don't think Ferdinand and Shearer would have been a good combination to be honest. Too similar in their style of play.

Not sure about that. Shearer and Ferdinand had a cracking season together in 96-97. Really worked well together, Shearer was always better with a big man up top, Newell, Sutton, Ferdinand etc.