BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Underrated Rovers 11

Same theme: pick your fave team of underrated players. We've had loads over the years.

Sandomierski

Nyambe  Khizanishvilli Short Warnock

Gillespie Flitcroft Bohinen Mahon

Dickov   Jansen (underrated how good he was)

Subs

Filan

Kenna

Ooijer

Johnson

Batty

Bent

Stead

Batty? Who didn’t rate him? Top class player, only issue was missing large periods with injury

Short and Ooijer were always appreciated too from what I remember.

Jansen is up there as a club great.

I’d say under appreciated by the wider game as in the 2000s it was always unfashionable Rovers in the media (see Friedel and Tugay who would’ve been household names at a higher profile club) not that we didn’t love them.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Eyal berkovic

john Curtis 

lee carsley 

I know the latter left under a cloud , but they all put in solid performances on a consistent basis and never really get mentioned . Just first three that came to mind 

david Thompson was another 

Edited by Oldgregg86

5 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Eyal berkovic

john Curtis 

lee carsley 

I know the latter left under a cloud , but they all put in solid performances on a consistent basis and never really get mentioned . Just first three that came to mind 

david Thompson was another 

Berkovic definitely Thompson too really good for us - carsley maybe but played out of position sometimes. I'll throw in Tony Parkes and at risk of board meltdown Grabbi who was never played in his best position or maybe managed optimally... 

Think I would put John Filan in as GK , Zurab definately , Nicky Marker was another who would never get the headlines but never let us down Wilcox and Atkins got a bit of stick off rovers fans at times but were instrumental in our glory years 

I suppose it's how you define underrated .. Underrated by who ? rovers fans or the greater public because Imo it's was an absolute disgrace Mike Newell never played for England but WE would never suggest he's underrated 

• Like 1

What I wouldn't give for a Zurab now, quietly classy, competent when called upon, versatile and never made a fuss about being behind the likes of Nelsen in the pecking order. Proper squad player in the best possible way.

God I miss the days when we could afford to have really safe back up players just sat on the bench, the kind where if we got an injury to one of our key players we would just think 'that sucks, but at least we've got this guy so it's not the end of the world'. Its one of the big indications of how far we've fallen that gets a bit overlooked imo.

• Like 7

On 04/04/2020 at 10:40, AspRover said:

What I wouldn't give for a Zurab now, quietly classy, competent when called upon, versatile and never made a fuss about being behind the likes of Nelsen in the pecking order. Proper squad player in the best possible way.

God I miss the days when we could afford to have really safe back up players just sat on the bench, the kind where if we got an injury to one of our key players we would just think 'that sucks, but at least we've got this guy so it's not the end of the world'. Its one of the big indications of how far we've fallen that gets a bit overlooked imo.

He'd be our best player by a considerable distance.

That's how far we've fallen.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2020 at 23:41, Bohinen 22 said:

Same theme: pick your fave team of underrated players. We've had loads over the years.

Sandomierski

Nyambe  Khizanishvilli Short Warnock

Gillespie Flitcroft Bohinen Mahon

Dickov   Jansen (underrated how good he was)

Subs

Filan

Kenna

Ooijer

Johnson

Batty

Bent

Stead

I'm glad Sandomierski was the first player I saw in this, I also thought he showed a lot of potential and a great attitude when he was on the pitch for us. I bet he'd be a good shout to go back in for now if/when Walton leaves at the end of the season(whenever that may be.....) Other than that though I think most of the other players you mentioned where all appreciated for what they where! (by most of us they where anyway)

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

I think theres an element of rewriting history in terms of King. At that time, there was no way that we can justify dropping one of the front 2 who at that time were scoring 20+ goals a season each. He often underwhelmed when he did play and that Stoke hat trick was very much an exception.

I also certainly dont think Rochina could be described as magnificent here!

• Like 2

On 11/04/2020 at 15:55, Oldgregg86 said:

From the *%#^ys era I’d shout tommy spurr and Alex baptiste 

I liked Baptisite for sure and you would have to argue that Spurr was better than what we have had at LB since he left (not including Cunningham as he looked quality)

• Like 1

robbie slater contributed to the league title side without really being mentioned,kevin gallagher was a cracking player but never got the credit he should have,going further back in time,chris price,noel brotherston(god rest his soul) and vince o`keefe who was understudy to terry gennoe for years,despite being a very good goalie himself