BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Underrated Rovers 11

10 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

Nobody has mentioned Craig hignett yet, I remember him having a touch of class and scoring some great goals for us. 

After Hignett's season at Barnsley the year before, I expected much more from him to be honest.

He was ok, but could never quite force himself in as a regular with the likes of Dunn, Duff and Jansen in the side, always seemed to end up shunted out to the right hand side instead of being central where he had his success at Barnsley.

Didn't really let us down, but underachieved a little IMO.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

After Hignett's season at Barnsley the year before, I expected much more from him to be honest.

He was ok, but could never quite force himself in as a regular with the likes of Dunn, Duff and Jansen in the side, always seemed to end up shunted out to the right hand side instead of being central where he had his success at Barnsley.

It would have taken an exceptionally talented player to get into the team in front of those three to be fair (all arguably at the peak of their powers as well, certainly in the case of Dunn and Jansen anyway)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It would have taken an exceptionally talented player to get into the team in front of those three to be fair (all arguably at the peak of their powers as well, certainly in the case of Dunn and Jansen anyway)

Oh yeah completely agree, not really a slight on him that he couldn't get in front of them three.

However, when you look at his numbers at Barnsley the previous two seasons, I expected him to come in and have more of an impact than he really did, thought he would be the experienced head that would have complimented them three, remember the season prior to this we were in a complete mess.

Still, that free kick at Bolton was a beauty. Think he also scored an injury time one against Stockport too that was a huge three points.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2020 at 08:59, MarkBRFC said:

At the time I was underwhelmed with the signing, not having known much about him before he came to us. I just remember being totally won over by some of his performances. A few amazing goals as well but I can’t get them on YouTube ?

My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I remember him having a good run of scoring in consecutive games in his first season - trouble was this was when Van Nistelrooy was doing the same and getting all the publicity for it.

On 24/04/2020 at 20:52, Dreyski said:

My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I remember him having a good run of scoring in consecutive games in his first season - trouble was this was when Van Nistelrooy was doing the same and getting all the publicity for it.

That was in his second season, our first season back in the top flight.

5 goals in 6 games between 5th Jan & 22nd Jan 2002 (2 in the league and 3 in the cup), so nowhere near what Van Nistelrooy was doing but not bad for us at the time.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pick32 said:

Bunn

Nyambe Zurab Ooijer Gresko 

Thompson Nzonzi Formica Conway

Rochina Kalanic 

thought Nzonzi was a class above when he was here same with Kalanic both went on to prove it 10x over.

I think theres some good shouts here but also some questionable ones.

The centre backs are 2 good shouts, and David Thompson was a cracking little player.

I think its hard to pick out a keeper to be fair, never thought Bunn was much cop.

On the flip side, I dont think that what happens post Rovers should have a bearing, otherwise Rhodes would be overrated, even though he constantly scored goal after goal.

Kalinic was someone I was desperate to do well and could see flashes but ultimately he was given quite a few chances and he never convinced at all. He has played for some big clubs since without really excelling at any of them. Rochina and to a lesser extent Formica I think grabbed peoples attention, one was a Barcelona graduate and the other a highly rated Argentinian at a time when we had a fairly ageing and stagnant side but both flattered to deceive more often than not. I dont think either could be considered underrated, indeed I would probably say that Rochina is overrated.

Conway it is easy to forget how effective he was for his first few years, maybe staying on too long tarnished his memory somewhat, and I think Nyambe has always been a fans favourite even when his performances were unconvincing.

I think a couple of other shouts would be Garry Flitcroft for sure and also Grant Hanley and maybe Ben Marshall and Michael Gray?

Underrated is such a difficult definition really, I do wonder even if the likes of Andy Cole, Robbie Savage and Benni McCarthy are somewhat underrated, even with their high profiles. And it might go under the radar quite how good David Bentley was.

Edited by roversfan99

Filan- Probably the second best keeper in my 25 years of following the Rovers, would have him in goal over Flowers and definitely over Robinson. 

Ooijer - Never really appreciated as a fullback, although he was a model pro and put in some solid performances after a particularly rocky start to his Rovers career. You don’t play that many times for the Netherlands if you’re not a good player.

Henchoz - Reputation tarnished by the 1998/1999 relegation, but don’t think it was entirely his fault, showed his class and ability at Liverpool and in his brief return under Hughes.

Khizanishvili - Forgotten about during the Samba/Nelsen years, but would have been a regular in other seasons, so composed on the ball, don’t remember him making many mistakes.

Bjornebye - Hardly a big list to choose from, Le Saul clearly the best we’ve had, probably followed closely by Warnock, but Bjornebye was also very good, would be a huge asset in the current team.

Gillespie - Hard to choose an under rated right midfielder as the obvious choices all seem to have gotten the credit they deserve, but Gillespies old school “chalk on your boots” wing play was great.

Flitcroft - Perennially under rated, not just for his ability, but for his leadership. Never hear his name mentioned in anyone’s best XI and maybe rightly, but was a great servant of the club, won promotion and lifted the League Cup as a Rover, plus a winner against Man Utd too! 

Carsley - Not remembered with a great deal of fondness as he forced his way out of the club somewhat, but scored 11 goals (mostly penalties) during his Player of the Year season in 1999/2000. Had he stayed for the 2000/01 season I think his legacy would be a lot different.

Wilcox - His “Bolser Boy (sp?)” nickname is from just before I started watching Rovers, aged 5, but I do remember him being widely disliked. Unusual for a homegrown player who went on to win a Premier League medal and represent his country. His legacy has improved as time has gone on, but he remains a bone of contention with a certain era of Rovers fans.

Dickov - Top scorer in 2004/05 a real terrier up top, granted, not the most gifted striker we’ve ever had, but scored goals at the top level for both club and country. 

Stead - It’s hard to pick strikers, as they either score or they don’t! But decided on Stead, not because he was actually a world beater or actually Premier League quality, but for his story! Plucked from Division 3 obscurity for little money and his run of goals saved us from the drop and in a roundabout way, facilitated the Hughes era and the good times that followed. I know this isn’t lost on anyone who was old enough at the time, but Stead scored 6 goals for Rovers in 2003/04

Middlesbrough (a) 1-0 - Stead

Newcastle (h) 1-1 - Stead

Aston Villa (a) 2-0 - Flitcroft, Stead

Fulham (a) 4-3 - Cole, Douglas, Amoruso, Stead

Everton (a) 1-0 - Stead

Manchester Utd (h) 1-0 - Stead

An uninspiring overall record for him, and talent wise not fit enough to lace the boots of McCarthy, Santa Cruz, Bellamy etc... but in terms of impact, in the last 20 years, it’s hard to think of many above him.

• Like 7

I personally don't think Filan was anywhere close to Flowers when he was at his best.

Filan was good though, and I'd agree he was better than Robinson. He would probably be 4th for me behind Brad, Flowers & Mimms.

Just tried to add some meat to the bones if you will. 

Flowers obviously a top keeper also, just opinions.

Kenna almost made the cut.

Others

Kevin Gallacher - particularly the 1997/98 season where Sutton grabbed most of the headlines and two penalties, to share the Golden boot on 18, yet Gallacher scored 16 in the league and 20 in total vs. Sutton’s 18 in the league and 21 in total.

Damien Johnson - forged a good career despite never really nailing down a place at Ewood

Craig Short - Model professional, very good for us in the promotion season and transitioned back to the Premier League with ease, despite being the wrong side of 30.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Ooijer carried the stench of a weak first half-season throughout his time with us imo. In his first couple of games he gave away a pointless penalty and scored an own goal.

After he broke his leg at City that first January, he came back all guns blazing and I'd put him on a par with Berg, personally.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 05:39, rog of the rovers said:

Wilcox - His “Bolser Boy (sp?)” nickname is from just before I started watching Rovers, aged 5, but I do remember him being widely disliked. Unusual for a homegrown player who went on to win a Premier League medal and represent his country. His legacy has improved as time has gone on, but he remains a bone of contention with a certain era of Rovers fans.

Dickov - Top scorer in 2004/05 a real terrier up top, granted, not the most gifted striker we’ve ever had, but scored goals at the top level for both club and country. 

Stead - It’s hard to pick strikers, as they either score or they don’t! But decided on Stead, not because he was actually a world beater or actually Premier League quality, but for his story! Plucked from Division 3 obscurity for little money and his run of goals saved us from the drop and in a roundabout way, facilitated the Hughes era and the good times that followed. I know this isn’t lost on anyone who was old enough at the time, but Stead scored 6 goals for Rovers in 2003/04

Fulham (a) 4-3 - Cole, Douglas, Amoruso, Stead

One of the best Rovers games I've seen.

I couldn't stand Dickov, but he was effective for Hughes as he set the tempo of the rest of the team which allowed Hughes to create his "bully boy Blackburn" style of play.

Wilcox got no end of stick from Rovers fans. I have no idea why. He was a great servant and a good player. When he broke through I used to stand on the enclosure. All game I'd hear "bloody Wilcox" from the same group who used to stand near us.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 10:34, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not sure if underrated per se, but Jermaine Jones was unbelievable really. 

Rovers should have signed him permanently. He did a very good job.

23 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Craig Short - Model professional, very good for us in the promotion season and transitioned back to the Premier League with ease, despite being the wrong side of 30.

I remember when Short chose Derby instead of Rovers in 92. I think his reason was that he didn't want to move house. He was at Notts County I think. I though that he'd made a terrible decision, then years later he turns up at Ewood. He was another solid player who brought stability and nous in the post Hodgson/Kidd mess.