BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Players that underachieved or what could have been

17 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Dwight Yorke too. He was on his way down when he signed. He was in his prime at Man U, and showed it.

Dahlin knackered his back about a week into his stint.

Grabbi?

Dahlins back somehow made it through the medical to get a contract here then gave out. The subject of a long insurance row.

Another eyebrow raiser.

17 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Dwight Yorke too. He was on his way down when he signed. He was in his prime at Man U, and showed it.

I forgive Yorke being on the decline just for scoring that equaliser at Bolton in injury time. In my 30 years of watching football, that would still be in my list of most celebrated goals. 

Its a goal that is difficult to find online.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I went to a pre-season friendly years ago - Rochdale v Man Utd Reserves. They had all the kids playing , Beckham , Scholes, Butt, the Nevilles. Gillespie was head and shoulders better than all of them. He was unplayable that day. Real pace and he could go either way. He reminded me of George Best on a good day !

Eamon Rogers should have gone on to be an all time great at Rovers.

Man U said the same about Ben Thornley. Nicky Marker crocked him in a reserve game at Ewood. Thornley sued and won for damages. Misty eyed people had him being the left sided savior that England needed during the 1998-2008 "golden generation".

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Man U said the same about Ben Thornley. Nicky Marker crocked him in a reserve game at Ewood. Thornley sued and won for damages. Misty eyed people had him being the left sided savior that England needed during the 1998-2008 "golden generation".

He played on the other wing that day. He looked ok  but Gillespie was in another class. He missed his way without a doubt.

If we're talking about players from other teams Paul Lake at 'City was in another class but permanently injured.

Back in the day Doncaster had a forward called Alick Jeffrey. Everybody was watching him, then he broke his leg playing for England u-23's. It was a bad one so he called it a day and went out to Australia. Later on he came back to Donny, they repaid the insurance , and he started playing again. I saw him playing at Rochdale for Doncaster. I was stood by the railings when he came out near to me on the wing. As he got the ball three 'Dale players closed him down. Bish,bosh,bish and he was gone. Just like magic, his ball control and speed of foot from a standing start was amazing. A class act.

Peter Knowles at Wolves was another. He was at the Matt Jansen level when he packed it all in to be a Jehovah's Witness ! Wolves kept his registration for the next ten years hoping he'd change his mind and start playing again but he never did. What a waste.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Paul Lake, Paul Warhurst and David Hirst all guys from the 90's who would've gone on to bigger things if it wasn't for serious injury that virtually finished them overnight.

Lots of perks to being a pro but there's a flip side especially for guys who would've ended up on tens of thousands per week.

Cruel game at times.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Paul Lake, Paul Warhurst and David Hirst all guys from the 90's who would've gone on to bigger things if it wasn't for serious injury that virtually finished them overnight.

Lots of perks to being a pro but there's a flip side especially for guys who would've ended up on tens of thousands per week.

Cruel game at times.

Off thread but how much would Shearer be earning/be worth in today's football climate? ?

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It'd be easier saying which ones of Roy Boy's signing didn't under achieve ? Stephane Henchoz - that's it !

Thought Dalglish signed Gudmundsson - might be wrong .

11 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Off thread but how much would Shearer be earning/be worth in today's football climate? ?

Scary thought but i reckon his transfer fee to Barcodes would make up about 2 or 3 years of his wages in this era.

• Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Whatever Harry Kane is on, probably similar.

Don’t think he’d be on Messi/Ronaldo money, but he’d be a much richer man!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Matt Jansen

One of the biggest “what might have been’s” in my lifetime.

I still blame Eriksson. Shafted our club twice that bloke. Tord Gripp might have been in his ear but the buck stopped with him.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

I still blame Eriksson. Shafted our club twice that bloke. Tord Gripp might have been in his ear but the buck stopped with him.

Agree. 

Bentley should have gone on to better things but completely lost his way after Hughes left Rovers

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I think its a little harsh to suggest that Eriksson shafted us on that occasion. You cant blame him for what happened.

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

Great prospect when he broke into the first team but sadly think a bad injury did for him as well.

Wastnt his debut against Utd and he was superb? Cant remember who he kept in his pocket but I thought we had a gem on our hands.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think its a little harsh to suggest that Eriksson shafted us on that occasion. You cant blame him for what happened.

Well I do. Taking Keown instead of Jansen was a scandal.

Although I will say that maybe I was wrong about Grip and it was a decision taken by Eriksson.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/did-eriksson-have-a-last-minute-change-of-heart-over-jansen-9198712.html

Edited by Stuart

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Wastnt his debut against Utd and he was superb? Cant remember who he kept in his pocket but I thought we had a gem on our hands.

I think it was Ronaldo he almost put into the riverside a few times. Looked a really strong composed player for one so young i'm certain he'd have gone on to be a star here if things had worked out.