BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Coronavirus - Football Pay & Moral Vacuums

FT is reporting that the PFA is resisting calls for players to take pay cuts in the coronavirus crisis

https://www.ft.com/content/b2278645-eaf8-408f-bc9f-04478d32795c

....while MPs and others have accused them of living in a moral vacuum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

Barca players have agreed to take a 70 percent pay cut with no fuss and other La liga clubs have followed.

Virtually all German and Italian players have taken at least a 50 percent pay cut. The difference is players in these leagues they may still be overpaid but they have the nous to realise they are part of something bigger.

Discuss

• Like 1

As I've said in other threads, certain clubs have really shown their true colours, Spurs/Newcastle etc, Spurs player's averaging £75/wk, asking staff to "furlough".

It really is time that highly paid prima donnas stood up to be counted, whilst another 500 + confirmed dead today. Still get paid, donate 25%/50% back to the club to pay staff.

Do a "Howe"! There is no moral dilemma at all.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
On 02/04/2020 at 16:05, jim mk2 said:

FT is reporting that the PFA is resisting calls for players to take pay cuts in the coronavirus crisis

https://www.ft.com/content/b2278645-eaf8-408f-bc9f-04478d32795c

....while MPs and others have accused them of living in a moral vacuum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

Barca players have agreed to take a 70 percent pay cut with no fuss and other La liga clubs have followed.

Virtually all German and Italian players have taken at least a 50 percent pay cut. The difference is players in these leagues they may still be overpaid but they have the nous to realise they are part of something bigger.

Discuss

A guy (Julian Knight) who wrote a book on tax evasion wants to lecture people on morality.

Delicious.

I think that clubs furloughing their staff and getting assistance from the government is a disgrace though. I’m not sure the players can necessarily be blamed for this, it’s the owners and the money men. 
I don’t believe there would be many players that objected to having a wage reduction to enable non playing staff to be paid.....

51 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

A guy (Julian Knight) who wrote a book on tax evasion wants to lecture people on morality.

Delicious.

I think that clubs furloughing their staff and getting assistance from the government is a disgrace though. I’m not sure the players can necessarily be blamed for this, it’s the owners and the money men. 
I don’t believe there would be many players that objected to having a wage reduction to enable non playing staff to be paid.....

I'm not blaming the players - i blame the owners. But the players/pfa could easily have said "take 10% from us instead of using public funds".

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

I'm not blaming the players - i blame the owners. But the players/pfa could easily have said "take 10% from us instead of using public funds".

Can’t fault that argument! 

• Moderation Lead

Without wanting to take this off topic too much, footballers should definitely agree to a pay cut whilst not playing, but....

The 3,500 highest paid footballers in the UK earn £2.9bn per year collectively.

The 3,500 highest paid bankers in the UK earn £8.75bn per year collectively.

Still not seeing the same outrage for the bankers.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Still not seeing the same outrage for the bankers.

We don't know what cuts Bankers may or may not have voluntarily agreed to though, as the Public dont care.

And unlike Bankers, top level footballers benefit massively from their high profile most of the time in terms of image rights, sponsorship and social media following. 

They cant have it both ways, take all the benefit normally, then complain they're under too much public scrutiny when it appears they've committed a massive faux pas.

• Like 1

Rev we totally disagree on the non football thread but your posts on this topic in this and the other football thread are bang on the money imo.

They say the crisis highlights the best and worst in people and it is certainly highlighting the monstrosity that is the premier League. 

• Moderation Lead
22 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We don't know what cuts Bankers may or may not have voluntarily agreed to though, as the Public dont care.

And unlike Bankers, top level footballers benefit massively from their high profile most of the time in terms of image rights, sponsorship and social media following. 

They cant have it both ways, take all the benefit normally, then complain they're under too much public scrutiny when it appears they've committed a massive faux pas.

I certainly agree that they need to take a pay cut whilst not playing, but honestly, I have a degree of sympathy with them. 
I think they’re waiting for someone above them to take the lead and sort something for them.

Footballers are so pampered these days, I can’t imagine they’d be intuitive enough to make the call on their own.

• Backroom

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-jon-walters-coates-4020575.amp

In amongst all the bad press of this,  let's give some credit where it's due.

Denise Coates is one of the highest paid women in the World and takes a lot of flack because of the negative connotations attached to gambling. 

But in 2019, she was the single biggest personal tax contributor in the Uk.

Her company paid more taxes in 1 year than Amazon has in 20 years.

She doesn't hide all her money in offshore accounts and fiddle the system. 

And Stoke were one of the first to assure all their staff they will receive full pay for the next 5 months. And, as I understand it, they won't take a penny from the Government. 

Very impressive stuff. 

• Like 8

The country is going through an absolute nightmare and all these idiots; morons like grab-a-granny Rooney and Lineker can prattle on about is what a disgrace it is that poor old billionaire footballers are being picked on. There's people literally losing their jobs and futures and these greedy out of touch scum bags are refusing to make their contribution to the national effort. And Gordon Taylor still takes home his 2 million a year salary. That's the disgrace Rooney you clown. Arrogant and out of touch. And then Grealish and Walker doing their bit meeting up with mates and hosting hookers. It makes me want to give up on the whole parasitic sport.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bohinen 22 said:

The country is going through an absolute nightmare and all these idiots; morons like grab-a-granny Rooney and Lineker can prattle on about is what a disgrace it is that poor old billionaire footballers are being picked on. There's people literally losing their jobs and futures and these greedy out of touch scum bags are refusing to make their contribution to the national effort. And Gordon Taylor still takes home his 2 million a year salary. That's the disgrace Rooney you clown. Arrogant and out of touch. And then Grealish and Walker doing their bit meeting up with mates and hosting hookers. It makes me want to give up on the whole parasitic sport.

Absolutely spot on.

BTW As a side issue how did the Grealish thing only end up as being a case of breaking the regulations on being out ?

Looked like an extremely obvious case of something a lot more serious. And his "apology" consisted of "I'd been stuck inside all week and was going mad then my mate rang me up to go round to his so I went round". 

Quite staggering.

Is anyone surprised footballers aren't behaving well? We treat them above the law in all.matters prior to this from drink driving to wage demands to their sexual ethics. Why on earth would a global pandemic see them behave any differently? 

• Like 4

Banks and bankers deserve a special outrage of their own footballers are angels compared to them.  Sadly they run govts so they'll never get reigned in. They are the backbone of the country in many ways but the scourge of it in others, they keep many people firmly in their grip and firmly in their place.

Back to the football i'd love to see that get reigned back in and brought back down to earth in line with reality.  Start with the huge clubs first though, then the agents, then players themselves - only after the bankers though.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Guardiola's Mother just died and Liverpool quick to send insincere sympathies. Moral vacuum indeed. They shouldn't even have bothered saying anything. Probably already writing another letter trying to influence an appeal process for their precious FUP. Disingenuous pricks.

This will probably be removed as usual. If you want a thread on morals then you can include insincerity of those who have none.Especially in football. Add United to that insincere sympathy list as well.

Attack Jack Walker you're my enemy. It's that simple.

Edited by Vinjay
  • Like 2

On 05/04/2020 at 12:56, Silas said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-jon-walters-coates-4020575.amp

In amongst all the bad press of this,  let's give some credit where it's due.

Denise Coates is one of the highest paid women in the World and takes a lot of flack because of the negative connotations attached to gambling. 

But in 2019, she was the single biggest personal tax contributor in the Uk.

Her company paid more taxes in 1 year than Amazon has in 20 years.

She doesn't hide all her money in offshore accounts and fiddle the system. 

And Stoke were one of the first to assure all their staff they will receive full pay for the next 5 months. And, as I understand it, they won't take a penny from the Government. 

Very impressive stuff. 

Denise Coates is a conundrum

She pays herself an obscene amount of money every year and the money is made by fleecing mostly people who can least afford it.

However, unlike many billionaires she makes no attempt to avoid taxes by shifting money offshore or in dodgy tax avoidance schemes, she still lives locally and puts huge amounts of money back into the community through among other things, the football club. 

So it's 2 and a half cheers for Denise. 

2 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

No wonder he doesn’t want to give back 30% of his pay. Looks like that party would have been an expensive one. 

£2,200, what a complete knob. You wouldn't wish the virus on anyone, but the vast majority have to stay in, he's busing in sex workers, whilst people are losing their livelihoods. What a arrogant prick!

• Like 1