BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Coronavirus - Football Pay & Moral Vacuums

On 08/04/2020 at 20:48, jim mk2 said:

No doubt about that but it doesn't make it right that as an ultra wealthy individual he chose to avoid paying tax that pays for public services including the NHS, police, armed forces and schools by going to live in the Channel islands. Alot of people couldn't give a flying fig about football or Rovers - they're entitled to be miffed by the actions of him and other wealthy folk who avoid paying the taxes that the little people pay. 

Anyway, back to the coronavirus moral vacuums

Agree with your points but now there must be a change from the dog eat dog attitude where win at all costs matter and the loser becomes the loser, the attitude that has been around in this country since Margaret Thatcher was prime minister and she said no such thing as community.  For the record I was and still am embarrassed that she became honorary president of my beloved football club.

However, with the above mentality I am shocked why Government ministers are criticising and singling out footballers.  Sure they are overpaid but why haven’t other industries come in for similar treatment like hedge fund managers who are making a killing during this crisis.  I think footballers are being singled out for political reasons because they are an easy target but at the end of the day, I would guess most pay their tax here unlike the finance people who are offshoring their earnings hiding their wealth to avoid paying their share, a certain Jacob Rees-Mogg springs to mind.

ok rant over!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 4000Holes said:

Agree with your points but now there must be a change from the dog eat dog attitude where win at all costs matter and the loser becomes the loser, the attitude that has been around in this country since Margaret Thatcher was prime minister and she said no such thing as community.  For the record I was and still am embarrassed that she became honorary president of my beloved football club.

However, with the above mentality I am shocked why Government ministers are criticising and singling out footballers.  Sure they are overpaid but why haven’t other industries come in for similar treatment like hedge fund managers who are making a killing during this crisis.  I think footballers are being singled out for political reasons because they are an easy target but at the end of the day, I would guess most pay their tax here unlike the finance people who are offshoring their earnings hiding their wealth to avoid paying their share, a certain Jacob Rees-Mogg springs to mind.

ok rant over!

Well said mate

Not as such but you cannot miss what she was saying when she said this:

They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours." – in an interview in Women's Own in 1987

This was her response:

‘My meaning, clear at the time but subsequently distorted beyond recognition, was that society was not an abstraction, separate from the men and women who composed it, but a living structure of individuals, families, neighbours and voluntary associations.’

So it was out of context, but of course generally western society has become far more individualistic this past 40 years, so I thought it was a good insight into where Boris sees the future of the Tory party (the red wall) that a man who knows his history would bring up the infamous quote in recent weeks...