BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

In the same vein as current threads around best / worst to have played in Blue & White halves (plus keeper colours!), I was thinking about the keepers I've had the pleasure of watching over the years.

Started with Roger Jones in the 70s (lived just round the corner from us in a modest house)

Since then my favourites have been:

Terry Genoe

Bobby Mimms

Tim Flowers

John Filan

but the best of all, in my humble opinion, was HellBoy himself

giphy.gif

Biggus Braddus!

In my time in order of the best...

Brad

Flowers

Mimms

Gennoe

Filan

Robinson

And to think we used to have decent clubs ex no 1's as our back up keepers, Filan, Kelly, that guy who was West Broms no 1 for years etc.

Gennoe as a boyhood hero will always be a fav of mine even though he wasn't as good as some of the others. But looking back to have a keeper like him on the books in those spartan days was nothing short of amazing. How they managed to get him in i don't know but it was probably one of if the best signings of that era.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, AspRover said:

I mean, it's Brad and Timmy and then there's a bit of a gap. 

Nah, can't agree with that. Terry Genoe was a tremendous influence on the team, a real safe pair of hands, plus pulled off super saves on a regular basis. Roger Jones I think set the standard, and created the notion of building from the back, for me at least.

I do think we have lost the plot somewhat, and yearn for the good old days... whenever that was..giphy.gif

Good old days? 1980 - 2010 is a good a period as any.

The 80s. When a club without a pot to piss in consistently challenged at the top of the second tier and won a cup.

The 90s... say no more.

2000s, a post Jack world yet we were a solid PL club with some top managers and players, won a trophy, numerous semi finals and European campaigns.

All thrown away in the early 2010s in just months of mismanagement and it isn’t due to rose tinted glasses that we fondly look back at the achievements of that previous 30 year period.

• Like 3

Hadn't realised until looking at Wikipedia that Paul Bradshaw played in the first under 21 international for England. Thinking further about Paul probably the best young keeper we have had in fifty years left us aged 21 for wolves for a then club record fee for wolves.

Think it is Jim Arnold's grandson who has been appearing for Northampton in goal this season.

Edited by Rogerb
Extra text

9 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

In the same vein as current threads around best / worst to have played in Blue & White halves (plus keeper colours!), I was thinking about the keepers I've had the pleasure of watching over the years.

Started with Roger Jones in the 70s (lived just round the corner from us in a modest house)

Since then my favourites have been:

Terry Genoe

Bobby Mimms

Tim Flowers

John Filan

but the best of all, in my humble opinion, was HellBoy himself

giphy.gif

Biggus Braddus!

I baby sat at that house down Lammack

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Good old days? 1980 - 2010 is a good a period as any.

The 80s. When a club without a pot to piss in consistently challenged at the top of the second tier and won a cup.

The 90s... say no more.

2000s, a post Jack world yet we were a solid PL club with some top managers and players, won a trophy, numerous semi finals and European campaigns.

All thrown away in the early 2010s in just months of mismanagement and it isn’t due to rose tinted glasses that we fondly look back at the achievements of that previous 30 year period.

150 million down the tubes in ten years and not ONE good steady reliable experienced keeper recruited in that time by god knows how many managers.

Says a lot that.

10 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Annoyed that brad didn’t get in the top 10 motd keepers. David James above him? Having a laugh 

Some top keepers there tho. 

James shouldn't be there. 

One thing I will say we have some greats keepers over the PL years.