BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1995 away shirt, embroidered badge

Just bought this shirt on eBay for a reasonable price and it caught my eye as I have never seen one for sale with an embroidered badge just like the players had. Is this a lucky find or were a certain amount of embroidered badged shirts sold as well as the replicas? 

F49E3861-52B3-4DFB-BB81-7CB9E9C649A3.png

The first shirt I had was the dark blue and white mcewans 92/93 shirt. I loved that shirt. The badge wasn’t a sewn on badge but like a bubbly raised badge . I don’t know how else to describe it. I preferred that type of badge. I’m not sure but the shirt you have I think had the type of badge I am describing . I could be wrong but it might be a knock off if it was so cheap

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so more on this unusual shirt. It arrived by post today and is missing the ASICS badge at the front but it doesn’t appear that there was ever one there (see image). I did some digging and found a player issue jersey for sale also with the embroidered badge but with no ASICS logo. Check out what the seller had to say about it.

Can anyone verify that the ASICS logo was missing on the players shirts for Wimbledon away December 95?

I am very excited to have found a shirt with an embroidered crest from that era as I don’t believe they were ever sold like that though that is what the players jerseys had. 

02762BC3-7133-49EC-8607-6A3712C54800.jpeg

0726A378-872D-4EE4-AE8A-8E8AF578A3F8.png

Edited by IrelandsRover

• Moderation Lead

They were definitely sold with the ASICS badge at the time. I have one here!
The club did bring out a retro re release without said ASICS badge though. I recall seeing it in the shop and a few with them in the stands.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

They were definitely sold with the ASICS badge at the time. I have one here!
The club did bring out a retro re release without said ASICS badge though. I recall seeing it in the shop and a few with them in the stands.

Sorry I meant they didn’t sell with the embroidered crest I believe 

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It looks kosher to me. There was definitely no ASICS badge on the shirt for that game (see photo). I think it may have been 95/6 season though?

CFEB3D35-D85A-4532-82DC-0EF046D246EF.jpeg

Wow you are the man!! Thank you so much for finding that picture. 

interestingly this 94/95 shirt made a return for some away games in the 95/96 season. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IrelandsRover said:

Where did you buy that do you mind me asking? 
Here’s another pic of those games during 95/96 that I’ve found where ASICS logo is missing and badge is embroidered. 

1F002E01-CC2F-412E-BA3A-0C7268DFE19C.jpeg

In 1995 at the rovers shop I believe....without checking I do believe it has 1994-95Premier League Champions in gold under the badge

Edited by Sparks Rover

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

In 1995 at the rovers shop I believe....without checking I do believe it has 1994-95Premier League Champions in gold under the badge

Any pics? 

here is an away shirt with the ‘premier league champions’ in gold but badge is stick-on and not embroidered like the players shirts

06F6D377-9407-47A1-9E6A-9A704D332230.jpeg

Edited by IrelandsRover

So, in a nutshell Ireland's Rover it looks like you have got yourself a genuine 'player-issue' shirt from the 1995/6 season. The eBay seller may have got a couple of details wrong (the wrong season and also the fact that it wasn't entirely a one-off shirt, which wouldn't have helped with your research into it) but well done you, lovely shirt that!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IrelandsRover said:

Wow you are the man!! Thank you so much for finding that picture. 

interestingly this 94/95 shirt made a return for some away games in the 95/96 season. 

The rumour at the time (that I heard anyway ?) was that the players didn't like the new red shirt for that season, so reverted back to this to try and change our luck for a couple of games.

We didn't win away from home in the 95/96 season until we beat QPR in January, which was in the 94/95 away kit.

We went on to win only two games in the actual 95/96 away kit, at Spurs & Chelsea.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

The rumour at the time (that I heard anyway ?) was that the players didn't like the new red shirt for that season, so reverted back to this to try and change our luck for a couple of games.

We didn't win away from home in the 95/96 season until we beat QPR in January, which was in the 94/95 away kit.

We went on to win only two games in the actual 95/96 away kit, at Spurs & Chelsea.

I think that is correct, hence those 94/95 away shirts that later appeared with the champions embroidery like the 95/96 home shirts.

sounds like the OP has got a genuine one anyway. Not sure anyone has ever bothered to make fake rovers shirts, certainly not back in 95!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SamTheLeedsRover said:

Not sure anyone has ever bothered to make fake rovers shirts

I was in Rome around 11 years ago moochimg about and found a small independent sports shop (which I always prefer), walks in and a mannequin  right at the entrance with a full rovers kit on......i never took a photo for some reason. 

Not fake but our kit is famous and before these knobs took over and thanks to Jack we did have a high profile....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I was in Rome around 11 years ago moochimg about and found a small independent sports shop (which I always prefer), walks in and a mannequin  right at the entrance with a full rovers kit on......i never took a photo for some reason. 

Not fake but our kit is famous and before these knobs took over and thanks to Jack we did have a high profile....

Yeah you certainly used to see the odd fake shirt in the shops of Mallorca in the mid 90s. They were very obviously fakes though.

24 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

At the time I thought it might be because of Dino Baggio playing for us.....

In Rome it certainly could have been mate. I think Rovers were just generally more high profile back then - I lived in Glasgow in the post-1995 period and you used to see loads of kids (and adults actually) sporting the famous halved shirts. Same as you do City shirts now. Obviously blue and white is not palatable to one half of Glasgow or it would have been even more prevalent.

• Like 1

And yet growing up in Wigan surrounded by jjb shops owned by former rover Dave whelan and I would have to get my dad to drive me to Blackburn or Bolton to get shirts. Really used to annoy me that. I once saw a gillingham shirt on the rail and your usual shirts untied Liverpool Newcastle Bolton Wigan but not a rovers shirt on site. Never will understand that

49 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

And yet growing up in Wigan surrounded by jjb shops owned by former rover Dave whelan and I would have to get my dad to drive me to Blackburn or Bolton to get shirts. Really used to annoy me that. I once saw a gillingham shirt on the rail and your usual shirts untied Liverpool Newcastle Bolton Wigan but not a rovers shirt on site. Never will understand that

I lived in Wigan for a good few years and when I first ventured into the town centre circa 1991/92 it was a sea of cherry and white hoops, not a football shirt to be seen anywhere.  I think Whelan tapped in.

• Like 2