BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Best Goal You Ever Saw A Rovers Player Score

Can anyone help? When i was a kid I used to get the bus from Chorley to Ewood. Cliff Owen or Jacksons as I remenber.

I have a memory of Tony Field dribbling from the halfway line to score an outstanding goal. Think it was against Watford and it was 4-0.

Or am I getting (more!) senile?  

Cheers

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Duff away at Sheff Weds in a night game, think it was a cup match, think we won 3-1 under Hodgsons time. Might have been Duffs first Rovers goal, it was in the opposite end to us but i'm sure he flicked it over someones head then ran round and slotted in.

Love that goal, it was a more controlled version of Gazza's goal against Scotland at Euro 96.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iacok said:

Can anyone help? When i was a kid I used to get the bus from Chorley to Ewood. Cliff Owen or Jacksons as I remenber.

I have a memory of Tony Field dribbling from the halfway line to score an outstanding goal. Think it was against Watford and it was 4-0.

Or am I getting (more!) senile?  

Cheers

No , remember that too , only about 10 myself , think he got a hat trick that day ...

37 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

No , remember that too , only about 10 myself , think he got a hat trick that day ...

He was the Bradley Dack of the day only quicker. The sort of player that was always capable of getting you out of your seat.  Up there with Simon Garner as a goal scorer, kept his cool and never panicked in front of goal.  He had that Jimmy Greaves like burst of acceleration that took him away from defenders. What I thought we were getting when we signed Rhodes.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Indeed they do, as proven with £10 Wigan, a December Sky night game, being our biggest home turnout in the Championship since 2012, yet the club will always piss about with deals proven not to bring folk in.

It does make one feel that it is deliberate. Nobody will keep doing the ‘wrong thing’ indefinitely.

Keep crowds low, keep expectations low, blame lack of supporter commitment, self-fulfilling “justification” of increasing prices, keep milking the faithful, keep taking a salary: “We’ve done everything we can”. ??‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

It does make one feel that it is deliberate. Nobody will keep doing the ‘wrong thing’ indefinitely.

Keep crowds low, keep expectations low, blame lack of supporter commitment, self-fulfilling “justification” of increasing prices, keep milking the faithful, keep taking a salary: “We’ve done everything we can”. ??‍♂️ 

The vacuum between here and the bill payers will always allow things to become very comfortable. No being called into the chairmans office on a Monday morning just make sure all your explanations are lined up for a mid summer meeting.

Yes there's a middleman keeping an eye on things but he looks to have the most comfortable number of the lot.

As a Ewood regular since the early 60s I’ve seen most of the goals mentioned. One that does stick in my mind was big John McNamee’s thunderbolt. An evening game, we sat in the Nuttall Street stand near the half way. John volleyed the ball from at least 40 yards. The goalkeeper never moved! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnGo said:

As a Ewood regular since the early 60s I’ve seen most of the goals mentioned. One that does stick in my mind was big John McNamee’s thunderbolt. An evening game, we sat in the Nuttall Street stand near the half way. John volleyed the ball from at least 40 yards. The goalkeeper never moved! 

It was a night match against Bournemouth as I recall. We were in the Blackburn End and it was like an exocet into the top corner. During that era we only seemed to score 'scruffy' goals so that one sticks out for me also.

Was Sir Roger in goal for Bournemouth that nighr?

45 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It was a night match against Bournemouth as I recall. We were in the Blackburn End and it was like an exocet into the top corner. During that era we only seemed to score 'scruffy' goals so that one sticks out for me also.

Arbitro, According to Mike Jackmans book MacNamee scored 6 goals in 27 games in season 71-72. Haliax A,  Wrexham A, York H, Barnsley H ( Tony Field hat trick in that game ),  Brighton H 2 goals.

In season 72-73 he scored 4 goals in 30 games - Charlton H,Swansea H, Lincoln H ( another Tony Field hatrick ), Oldham H.

Take your pick out of those. Not bad goal scoring for a centre half I'd say.

• Backroom

As a youngster I was impartial to Warhursts against United, it felt like it was about 40 yards out at the time!

Shearer vs QPR and Norwich (the chip) were up there as well

Got to be honest though I don’t recall many technically better than Emnes’s against Wigan 

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Arbitro, According to Mike Jackmans book MacNamee scored 6 goals in 27 games in season 71-72. Haliax A,  Wrexham A, York H, Barnsley H ( Tony Field hat trick in that game ),  Brighton H 2 goals.

In season 72-73 he scored 4 goals in 30 games - Charlton H,Swansea H, Lincoln H ( another Tony Field hatrick ), Oldham H.

I was sure it was Bournemouth but it could have been Brighton. Easy mistake, both South coast beginning with 'B' (a poor excuse for a diminishing memory btw) ??.

29 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was sure it was Bournemouth but it could have been Brighton. Easy mistake, both South coast beginning with 'B' (a poor excuse for a diminishing memory btw) ??.

From memory the games were close together and they were both hot promotion favourites. Without digging my Jackman out I seem to recall we did well in both of them.

I was in the Riverside around the halfway line and McNamee wasn’t much nearer the goal that I was. An almighty toe-bunger that seemed to be still going up when it went in.

5 hours ago, JohnGo said:

19 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

From memory the games were close together and they were both hot promotion favourites. Without digging my Jackman out I seem to recall we did well in both of them.

I was in the Riverside around the halfway line and McNamee wasn’t much nearer the goal that I was. An almighty toe-bunger that seemed to be still going up when it went in.

I was on the Riverside around the halfway line too. McNamee was our centre half and the crowd were willing him or shouting at him to shoot and he did; from just beyond the centre circle into the Darwen End goal. What a goal! Also my answer to who it was against would have been Bournemouth or Brighton. Memory is a strange thing.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Considering he didn’t take penalties or free kicks. I’ll never forget him laying out a centre forward while the ball was 50-yards away then stamping on the guy’s arm when the ball got booted toward him.

9 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

They were close together John with Brighton on April 12th and Bournemouth on April 26th. As Tyrone said McNamee got a brace in the first game in a 2-2 draw and we beat Bournemouth 2-1. I was also wrong in saying one was a night match, it appears that both were Saturday games.

Toe bunger? How very dare you. But Mac was a thoroughbred who Maldini modelled his game on ??.

12 hours ago, Tom said:

As a youngster I was impartial to Warhursts against United, it felt like it was about 40 yards out at the time!

Shearer vs QPR and Norwich (the chip) were up there as well

Got to be honest though I don’t recall many technically better than Emnes’s against Wigan 

Emnes is a great shout. What a first touch that was. It was also in an important goal on a game we needed to win. 

bennetts strike against Blackpool in the cup was a good one. And the team goal away at derby graham scored

kevin Gallagher at home to Leeds when we lost 4-3 was a good hit

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 10:02, grinder said:

I throw this one in for the 70s crowd

Ken Beamish v Luton 76

From memory Faz ? won ball somewhee near Rovers goal line at Darwen end- passed to Metcalfe - passed to Parkes took it over half way line passed out to Kevin Hird storming up right wing - clipped cross in met by Beamo on the voley into the top corner at BBE - (ok it may or may not have sliced off his foot being Beamo ?)

Whole move was probably less than 10seconds

Am I the only one that remembers this??

Odd - but I was also thinking Ken Beamish, but in a different game, in 1975 'table-topping' clash in old 3rd div versus Plymouth Argyle.  I remember it being a slick flowing move ending with what seemed at the time to be an outrageous flick from Beamo [making amends for the penalty he shelled over the bar].  Rovers won 5-2 after going 2-0 down, and still reckon it was the best match atmosphere I witnessed at Ewood.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 10:02, grinder said:

I throw this one in for the 70s crowd

Ken Beamish v Luton 76

From memory Faz ? won ball somewhee near Rovers goal line at Darwen end- passed to Metcalfe - passed to Parkes took it over half way line passed out to Kevin Hird storming up right wing - clipped cross in met by Beamo on the voley into the top corner at BBE - (ok it may or may not have sliced off his foot being Beamo ?)

Whole move was probably less than 10seconds

Am I the only one that remembers this??

We often reminisce about this fantastic goal. A wonderful, flowing move. The only bit where my memory differs from yours  is that I am sure that Beamo finally put the ball in with his head, when it looked easier to use his foot?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, arbitro said:

Roger was a Rovers player before we got relegated,

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

They were close together John with Brighton on April 12th and Bournemouth on April 26th. As Tyrone said McNamee got a brace in the first game in a 2-2 draw and we beat Bournemouth 2-1. I was also wrong in saying one was a night match, it appears that both were Saturday games.

Toe bunger? How very dare you. But Mac was a thoroughbred who Maldini modelled his game on ??.

Funny, I am pretty certain that the Brighton game was indeed a night match. Both the Bournemouth and Brighton games were close together, towards the end of the season.

The McNamee goal was struck from practically the halfway line too.

Special long shot mention to Johnny Price v Bradford from a similar place...

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

On 12/04/2020 at 16:33, tomphil said:

Yes it would be 82/83 i think we ended up losing 2-1 after Garner put us in front.  

Same here iv'e ranted on about it but never been able to find it anywhere but it was surely on MOD or something.

It was. I can remember Saxton saying.

" We were hoping to catch Liverpool on an off day, but unfortunatelythey caught us on one"..

And Souness saying " But it was an FA Cup tie out there",  as if it was supposed to make us all feel better..

• Like 1