BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Best Goal You Ever Saw A Rovers Player Score

Perhaps not technically the 'best' goal but the one Dunny scored to silence the Burnley family in the Darwen End in 2013 remains one of my favourite Rovers goals. That YouTube footage from a Dingle in the Darwen end is absolutely priceless. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

We often reminisce about this fantastic goal. A wonderful, flowing move. The only bit where my memory differs from yours  is that I am sure that Beamo finally put the ball in with his head, when it looked easier to use his foot?

I was in BBE at the time and was fairly sure he sliced it in off his foot but could be mistaken - with Beamo you were never sure which anatomical part it was coming off other than the likelihood of it missing by some distance........ ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grinder said:

I was in BBE at the time and was fairly sure he sliced it in off his foot but could be mistaken - with Beamo you were never sure which anatomical part it was coming off other than the likelihood of it missing by some distance........ ?

It's a shame his name became synonymous with missing sitters-it began that season after promotion-because he scored plenty to help us win promotion under Gordon Lee!

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Perhaps not technically the 'best' goal but the one Dunny scored to silence the Burnley family in the Darwen End in 2013 remains one of my favourite Rovers goals. That YouTube footage from a Dingle in the Darwen end is absolutely priceless. 

That video is absolutely delicious. 
Brilliant.

• Like 2

Andy Kennedy's left footer away at Villa takes some beating. Also, now that many of us have time on our hands, the entire home game in that cup tie circa 1990 is on YouTube. It's rare to see a full 90 minutes from that era and its really worth the watch. My 18 year old son was fascinated by the state of the pitch, the intensity of play, the noise from the crowd and the sheer physicality of the contest. Chris Sulley and little Scotty Sellars team up repeatedly to put reducer on the lightning fast Tony Daley and the absolutely route one football from Rovers is a reminder of a different age. The changes in the game in the last few years have crept up stealthily.

Interestingly, only the highlights were broadcast by the BBC but this is the full broadcasted version. A highlight for me occurs during the warm up ( previously unbroadcasted) when John Motson has to describe Simon Garner to the cameraman to enable a close up. The camera then hones in on a frankly hungover looking Garner who looks like he's never kicked a ball before. He was never one to exert himself unnecessarily. See first video from the 4.25 -5 minute mark.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Andy Kennedy's left footer away at Villa takes some beating. Also, now that many of us have time on our hands, the entire home game in that cup tie circa 1990 is on YouTube. It's rare to see a full 90 minutes from that era and its really worth the watch. My 18 year old son was fascinated by the state of the pitch, the intensity of play, the noise from the crowd and the sheer physicality of the contest. Chris Sulley and little Scotty Sellars team up repeatedly to put reducer on the lightning fast Tony Daley and the absolutely route one football from Rovers is a reminder of a different age. The changes in the game in the last few years have crept up stealthily.

Interestingly, only the highlights were broadcast by the BBC but this is the full broadcasted version. A highlight for me occurs during the warm up ( previously unbroadcasted) when John Motson has to describe Simon Garner to the cameraman to enable a close up. The camera then hones in on a frankly hungover looking Garner who looks like he's never kicked a ball before. He was never one to exert himself unnecessarily. See first video from the 4.25 -5 minute mark.

That Villa home game was a good one. At the time Rovers were in the same position as they are now but there was something about that time that felt like more was to come. Maybe it was my youthful enthusiasm.

• Like 1

Great thread. Delicious memories. I love and remember all the above suggestions, although we were still in the car park for Kennedy's Van Basten moment at Villa.

A few others, including 3 from Tony Field. 1) his famous dribble, leaving 4/5 defenders for dead before scoring in the Blackburn End in the 5-0 defeat of Watford

2) a similar mazy dribble before scoring at the same end v Charlton

3)  a stunning strike from the Nuttall St side of the pitch, just a few yards into the Darwen End half that flew into the Darwen End net in a 4-                                                                                    trouncing of Lincoln

4) (although sullied by the fact that Coyle was the manager), that goal by Graham at Derby after some 30 odd passes!

5 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Funny, I am pretty certain that the Brighton game was indeed a night match. Both the Bournemouth and Brighton games were close together, towards the end of the season.

The McNamee goal was struck from practically the halfway line too.

Special long shot mention to Johnny Price v Bradford from a similar place...

I was of the same opinion but when I checked one was on the 12th and the other the 26th. I assumed Saturdays but it could have been mid week.

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I was of the same opinion but when I checked one was on the 12th and the other the 26th. I assumed Saturdays but it could have been mid week.

Sad b....that I am, Arbitro, I just checked.

12 April 1972 was a Wednesday, so it looks like we were both correct. Something about the special atmosphere of a night match under the floodlights!

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

That Villa home game was a good one. At the time Rovers were in the same position as they are now but there was something about that time that felt like more was to come. Maybe it was my youthful enthusiasm.

the replay was a fantastic game,it looked like we were getting back into it but stapleton missed the penalty,incredibly during that period,i think we missed every penalty we got for about two months,it was that bad in the end,it was rumoured they were thinking of giving the job of spot kicks to terry gennoe?,the only penalty i can remember after that mental few games is when david mail took one at stoke and his massive run up concluded with him nearly breaking the net,i can also recall the penalty was in the last minute courtesy of a ridicoulous dive by andy kennedy,the stoke fans were not amused and our exit was met with a torrent of cans and bottles

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

12 April 1972 was a Wednesday, so it looks like we were both correct. Something about the special atmosphere of a night match under the floodlights!

Thanks for that Lenny. I had it in my mind for decades that it was a night match and an earlier post on this thread sowed the seeds of doubt in my mind. I should have applied my old refereeing adage of 'never change your mind'. ???

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Thanks for that Lenny. I had it in my mind for decades that it was a night match and an earlier post on this thread sowed the seeds of doubt in my mind. I should have applied my old refereeing adage of 'never change your mind'. ???

Remember there is a world of difference between clarity and certainty!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

It's a shame his name became synonymous with missing sitters-it began that season after promotion-because he scored plenty to help us win promotion under Gordon Lee!

True but my other abding memory was him heading over from underneath the crossbar at the BBE but cant remember who against.....

That could be another thread - biggest misses by a Rovers player.......

1 hour ago, grinder said:

True but my other abding memory was him heading over from underneath the crossbar at the BBE but cant remember who against.....

That could be another thread - biggest misses by a Rovers player.......

Biggest miss - the John Coddington penalty - If I hadn't have seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

Chris Sutton at Anfield in the final game when we won the Prem. My dear old mum could have put that one in. Luckily it didn't matter in the end

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Thank God for that, I’m not totally losing my marbles, I was convinced they were night matches. Didn’t one of them have a plane load of fans come up? Ted McDougall leading the line for Bournemouth - I bet he didn’t forget his 90 mins against McNamee!

Whilst I'd love the Tugay clips as a screen saver, my favourite is Mat Jansen's goal V Liverpool in, when was it?

Ball comes over from the left, Matt, who is marked, flicks the ball back inside loses marker, and volleys the ball with his left foot.

Cracking goal.

2 hours ago, dave birch said:

Whilst I'd love the Tugay clips as a screen saver, my favourite is Mat Jansen's goal V Liverpool in, when was it?

Ball comes over from the left, Matt, who is marked, flicks the ball back inside loses marker, and volleys the ball with his left foot.

Cracking goal.

Yeah, I thought he was on his way back after that goal. Didn't he have to be subbed after Lucas Neill got sent off shortly afterwards ?

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, I thought he was on his way back after that goal. Didn't he have to be subbed after Lucas Neill got sent off shortly afterwards ?

Me too, I thought he's regained it, but alas, not to be,

I was reading an interview Matt gave a few years later, where he said he cried his eyes out when he got home. Whilst he'd scored, he knew it was the end, and he was never going to get back to "normal".

I'll try and find it to post later.

Yes, wasn't that the game where Neill did a bit of GBH on Carragher?