BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Best Goal You Ever Saw A Rovers Player Score

11 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Thank God for that, I’m not totally losing my marbles, I was convinced they were night matches. Didn’t one of them have a plane load of fans come up? Ted McDougall leading the line for Bournemouth - I bet he didn’t forget his 90 mins against McNamee!

Same here, mate. That is why I had to look it up!

• Moderation Lead

Shearer’s 3rd goal vs QPR in I think 94/95.

That will take some beating. 
A special mention to the Steven Reid thunderbolt vs Wigan. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ball hit harder!

• Like 3

On 14/04/2020 at 10:17, Colt Seavers said:

Andy Kennedy's left footer away at Villa takes some beating. Also, now that many of us have time on our hands, the entire home game in that cup tie circa 1990 is on YouTube. It's rare to see a full 90 minutes from that era and its really worth the watch. My 18 year old son was fascinated by the state of the pitch, the intensity of play, the noise from the crowd and the sheer physicality of the contest. Chris Sulley and little Scotty Sellars team up repeatedly to put reducer on the lightning fast Tony Daley and the absolutely route one football from Rovers is a reminder of a different age. The changes in the game in the last few years have crept up stealthily.

Interestingly, only the highlights were broadcast by the BBC but this is the full broadcasted version. A highlight for me occurs during the warm up ( previously unbroadcasted) when John Motson has to describe Simon Garner to the cameraman to enable a close up. The camera then hones in on a frankly hungover looking Garner who looks like he's never kicked a ball before. He was never one to exert himself unnecessarily. See first video from the 4.25 -5 minute mark.

I LOVED watching that game! That was a top Villa side and Don McKay’s worst Rovers side. Sellars was streets ahead, as was Garner when the ball came his way, I’d forgotten what a good crosser of the ball he was.

A full Blackburn End, the old Riverside terracing, ads for Tommy Balls and Matthew Brown, middle-aged ref in black with nothing more than a whistle. 

I don’t buy that the game has got better. Yes, in a rational sense, great facilities, bowling green pitches, but emotionally the game has been gutted. Both sets of fans were making a racket throughout, they weren’t spectators, they were active participants. I didn’t see a single sideways pass at the back from either team, so it was far more end-to-end, far more moments of hope or fear. And increased player fitness is meaningless as they are all fitter, there was more make the ball do the work back then.

Fabulous find.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Shearer’s 3rd goal vs QPR in I think 94/95.

That will take some beating. 
A special mention to the Steven Reid thunderbolt vs Wigan. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a ball hit harder!

That was always going to be a spectacular goal or a dead fan in the away end...

Watching those highlights back in the morning gets the blood pumping for the rest of the day. Not difficult to see what's missing now when you look at the passion in that on the pitch in the stands and in the dugout. You used to get exciting 1-1 even 0-0 end to end draws whereas now from the first min it seems all about cancelling each other out.

Down the past ten years football and this club in particular has been sanitised and strangled to death footballs played on a whiteboard in managers offices. What happens on the pitch is just going through the motions too often and being happy with narrow defeats because we can 'take the positives' into the next game and on and on.

Give me some blood and thunder anyday over attempts at tippy tappy sideways and backwards to keep stat obsessed managers and coaches happy. Look at Parkes and McKay in the dugout railroading players to get back into position. The players themselves seeming pissed off every time there's a loose ball of missed shot and letting each other know about it.

Non of this head down, walk back shoulder shrugging.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 5

I know I keep saying it but we'd do better these days if the goals were at the side of the pitch instead of at the ends.

Back in those days if you picked ball up in midfield you had one of the strikers looking to make a run beyond the centre halves, the other striker would be coming short towards you. Both wingers would be looking to get involved. You had players to aim at in front of you. Nowadays they all seem to be stood next to each other.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I LOVED watching that game! That was a top Villa side and Don McKay’s worst Rovers side. Sellars was streets ahead, as was Garner when the ball came his way, I’d forgotten what a good crosser of the ball he was.

A full Blackburn End, the old Riverside terracing, ads for Tommy Balls and Matthew Brown, middle-aged ref in black with nothing more than a whistle. 

I don’t buy that the game has got better. Yes, in a rational sense, great facilities, bowling green pitches, but emotionally the game has been gutted. Both sets of fans were making a racket throughout, they weren’t spectators, they were active participants. I didn’t see a single sideways pass at the back from either team, so it was far more end-to-end, far more moments of hope or fear. And increased player fitness is meaningless as they are all fitter, there was more make the ball do the work back then.

Fabulous find.

That's a really poor penalty. Tony Daley showing why wingers are match winners.

40 minutes ago, Mike E said:

His terrific goal vs Arsenal at Ewood.

You thinking of the one against Middlesbrough? That was a beauty.

He got an assist against Arsenal at Ewood that was a superb bit of play down the right wing that could be confusing things.

• Like 1

• Backroom
4 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

You thinking of the one against Middlesbrough? That was a beauty.

He got an assist against Arsenal at Ewood that was a superb bit of play down the right wing that could be confusing things.

Yes I'm thinking of the assist, where he back heeled it to himself round the defender.

We've been lucky.

Rovers have scored some unbelievable goals and we've had magnificent memories for a club from Blackburn.

Tony Finnegan against the dingles. The Lancs manx cup at t'turf. Belted the ball in from miles out.

It didn't matter that it was a pre season competition, there was a bloke next to me shouting, "we've signed a world beater".

I think Tugay v Birmingham was up there.

Also the game v Liverpool... Tugay master class.

Tugay went past a midfielder, drew a centre half, passed to Pedersen who crossed to McCarthy who put in in the net.

The midfielder Gerrard, The centre half Carragher.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2020 at 21:41, Neil Weaver said:

Excellent Neil

Do you have David Thompsons goal at Old Trafford in the semi final of the League Cup

We lost over 2 legs but there were 9000 Rovers fans there and we were deafening when that goal went in.

Edited by Dave S
typo

On 16/04/2020 at 00:59, Exiled in Toronto said:

Fabulous find.

id`e rather see football played forwards than the square passing get nowhere stuff we see these days,i don`t see the point in trying to play possesion football if you`re players ar`nt good enough to keep the ball

• Like 1