BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

You can change one result in Rovers' history....

14 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I don't think Ke*n was ever in any real trouble where a defeat at OT would have seen him potted.

He would have been here well into 2013 if he hadn't of walked.

Had he lost at OT, and not been fired (out of a cannon), would he have survived after Arse, I doubt it? We were in free fall, as the rest of the season confirmed. It was the worst of times........(in Rovers times of course, context is everything), not like now. I hope our families in every way stay safe.

Edited by Proudtobeblue&white

45 minutes ago, Dave S said:

Brian Kidd,  Hodgsons successor signed

Gillespie, Ward, Matt Jansen, McAteer, O'Brien, McNamee, Carsley, Grayson, Kelly, Short.

Rovers ended up with Ostendstad, Harkness and Frandsen who I think that Kidd also signed 

A lot of money spent but a much better return than Roy had. Shame he was clueless as a manager/motivator/tactician. 

To me there are 3 huge successes Jansen, Short, Carsley, 2 good players Gillespie and Kelly. McAteer was ok and the rest were duds. That's a fantastic record compared to Roy in the transfer market. Other than Ward not many of the bigger signings flopped. That's a decent record. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

A lot of money spent but a much better return than Roy had. Shame he was clueless as a manager/motivator/tactician. 

To me there are 3 huge successes Jansen, Short, Carsley, 2 good players Gillespie and Kelly. McAteer was ok and the rest were duds. That's a fantastic record compared to Roy in the transfer market. Other than Ward not many of the bigger signings flopped. That's a decent record. 

Grayson was bobbins, one of the worst right backs we ever had.

1 hour ago, Dave S said:

Brian Kidd,  Hodgsons successor signed

Gillespie, Ward, Matt Jansen, McAteer, O'Brien, McNamee, Carsley, Grayson, Kelly, Short.

Rovers ended up with Ostendstad, Harkness and Frandsen who I think that Kidd also signed 

The inexperienced coach brought in as a manager delivered Matt Jansen, Short, Gillespie and Carsley.

Blew the socks off Roy's recruitment.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The inexperienced coach brought in as a manager delivered Matt Jansen, Short, Gillespie and Carsley.

Blew the socks off Roy's recruitment.

Bowyer also did well with recruitment. Wonder if this is a pattern or coincidence? 

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It was 0-1 Jim. I was in the " Hake Boat "  in town after the game queuing up for fish and chips. There were a few Coventry fans in front of me who were cock a hoop and looking forward to playing in the old First Division. I wasn't impressed with how Coventry played that day. They looked very average and basically parked the bus even against 10 men. I remember thinking " You'll be straight back down again ". How wrong I was - they had about 30 years at top level in spite of being near the bottom of the league most of the time.

We'd some really good players then but the management was past their sell by date. Jimmy Hill would have walked that league with our players.

Yes, we lost 0-1, I think Bobby Gould scored.  Sort of expecting a win I had as a 15 year old treated myself to a good view upstairs in the Riverside. I felt we were the better team that day and Coventry were thugs. I had a great view of Fergies departure after he'd been kicked black and blue. A very disappointing day but not quite at the Palace level.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

The Chelsea semi final for me. Every time I have the misfortune of watching it I think Gamst is going to score that header. 

I wasn't expecting a win so I was more pissed of that day than sad. It was a friggin open goal my Gran could have nodded in. If that goes in we would have won, after that our legs went big time.

12 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes, we lost 0-1, I think Bobby Gould scored.  Sort of expecting a win I had as a 15 year old treated myself to a good view upstairs in the Riverside. I felt we were the better team that day and Coventry were thugs. I had a great view of Fergies departure after he'd been kicked black and blue. A very disappointing day but not quite at the Palace level.

I thought Bruck made a meal of the Fergie incident. It was always the same though, you get kicked black and blue and nothing happens, retaliate slightly and off you go.  They obviously targeted Fergie as being our danger man. I have that down as the first player I ever saw dive to get an opponent sent off.

My abiding memory is Bobby Gould and Ronnie Clayton chasing a long ball down field. Neither of them was going to get to the ball before the goalkeeper and Ronnie was running in front of Gould just to make sure. So Gould does no more than kick Ronnie right up the arse a la Andy Todd. This was after the Fergie sending off but the ref was happy just to book Gould.

In the Chelsea game missing that chance took all the wind out of our sails. If that would have gone in we might have held on for a famous win. I couldn't head the ball but I would have backed myself to put that one in. It was a free header with the Chelsea goalkeeper rooted to the spot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I seem to remember Shabba Nonda missed a great chance for us to win that game as well.

their keeper made a fantastic save from a dunnie header as well,i was disapointed not to win but not in the way we played,we were excellent against one of the best sides in the bundesliga,incidentally i remember the match was played at 5.30 pm for some reason,i was in the blackburn end,went straight from work,resplendent in overalls and flourescent jacket that stunk of diesel?

Interesting that you would change the 3-2 @ United for a loss. It's crazy but totally true. A result that should be up there in our famous moments - along with the MGP 2005 game - is totally (justifiably) overshadowed by the season, owners and manager it was part of. 

The "We drew at Anfield and won at Old Trafford" quote kept that bell-end in a job for much longer than two heavy losses would have. 

In hindsight we did get relegated and losing those 4 points would also relegate us (even with a superb manager). However we may have survived the Best - Murphy - Etuhu - Orr - Portugal B - Berg - Appleton season the following year, and who knows what positives may have come.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 1

On 16/04/2020 at 07:18, Mattyblue said:

It was a shame to lose against Leverkusen, but I went to all 4 European away ties that season (RB Salzburg, Feyernoord, Wisla Krakow and Bayer Leverkusen), and was a time I’ll never forget (and I was skint after!)

I did Salzburg and Bayer Leverkusen away that season and it has to go down as one of my best times in football. Good friends and not a care in the world. I remember the 0-0 at home against Leverkusen. I had agreed with my boss that I would be at work (in Hereford) by 10:00am as I was going to catch the 7am train home. Ended up getting to bed at 7am, waking at 11am and having to make an awkward phone call to my boss.

7 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Surly soon as the whistle at Upton Park went you didn’t care we lost

Think that was part of it. Knowing (and hearing in following years) that we didn't master our own destiny.

Same time: Ludek Miklosko is in my alternative Rovers hall of Fame and i don't celebrate our title less now. But i do believe in winning "in style" when you can

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roverthechimp said:

Think that was part of it. Knowing (and hearing in following years) that we didn't master our own destiny.

Same time: Ludek Miklosko is in my alternative Rovers hall of Fame and i don't celebrate our title less now. But i do believe in winning "in style" when you can

surely we mastered our destiny the rest of the season, not just the last game ?

Edited by rigger

12 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

Liverpool away 94/95 

It wouldn't change anything but i found it hard to celebrate the title because we lost the game that day

I find this very strange.

Obviously I wanted to win the game, but I remember the conspiracy theories out in full force before the game suggesting that Liverpool would go easy on us and wouldn't be bothered.

To stop any rediculous doubts, I think what happened was the best outcome.

• Like 2