BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Good News!

16 minutes ago, KS Cracovia said:

Our 25 year old Daughter has today informed us that she intends moving out and getting a place with 2 mates in Preston ASAP after the lockdown.

Halle fuckin lujah.

Brilliant, coffee on keyboard  :lol:

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, gumboots said:

We've been to the coast, cycled 19.5 miles, eaten fish and chips and are just about to enjoy an ice cream before heading home.

Life feels almost normal.

Obviously the Fylde Coast so which Chippy ? Seafarers is decent in St Annes. 

Hopefully you had mushy peas,curry sauce and a couple of buttered barms with it  ?

1 minute ago, gumboots said:

Did have mushy peas bu not the rest. Cleveleys I think. By then my elderly legs were aching so much I could have been anywhere

Maybe Bispham Kitchen. Brown and Yellow place near the arcade. Cod Almighty is nice in there. Lovely. 

Few things better than curry sauce soaked batter.

They had another shop in Bispham but changed hands now.

Whelans in Lytham is nice but pricey.

At the weekend we decided we would walk the Ribble Way as a project whilst lockdown keeps us at home. We live close to one end so decided to start at the other end and walk backwards one day trip at a time.

So yesterday we drove in two cars to Horton-in-Ribblesdale, left one there and drove in the other up to Ribblehead and walked back. Horton car parks were busy but there was space and everyone had clearly left well before us, probably doing the Three Peaks. The walk back was wonderful with the morning drizzle stopping as we started and gradually the tops appeared as we headed south across the fells. Hardly saw a soul on the walk.

It would have been a perfect day if my wife hadn't said as we were about to get back to Horton "where are my car keys?". Then we realised she had left them in my car at Ribblehead 6 miles away. No buses, no taxis and the next train was not for 3 hours. So we decided to wait for the train and in the meantime see if I could hitch a lift. the first car passed stopped and took me, with us both facemasked up and windows open.

Horton to Settle is next.

27 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Did have mushy peas bu not the rest. Cleveleys I think. By then my elderly legs were aching so much I could have been anywhere

You just need some more practice gumboots! I've just calculated that I've done 753 miles on my bike since lockdown started, all of it within 10 miles of home apart from a couple of recent trips.

Fair enough, there's no point in me trying to persuade you to do something you're not confident with. For me the Ribble Valley is a gorgeous place to ride my bike. I've done two one-way rides in the last couple of weeks round there, one from Dunsop Bridge to home and the other from home to Edisford Bridge - both to incorporate walks with my wife using the team car.

1 minute ago, gumboots said:

We walk a lot but I find cycling hard. I do it but prefer flattish cycleways not roads.

Nice little route.

Park up behind the Solaris (old Solarium) near the Pleasure Beach. And just head along the Prom to Fleetwood. A good 2.5 hours of a round trip. Lovely.

Then go in the Solaris and try their BLT. 

Thank me after the lockdown.

I've always enjoyed cycling across the Fylde to Knott End, taking the ferry across to Fleetwood and then cycling home right round the coast, but I guess I can't do that just now. I think I might have a ride out there tomorrow though anyway.

With cycling it makes a huge amount of difference what bike you're riding on. many people make the mistake of buying a cheap bike "to see if they like it" before committing to something better. Then they find it really hard work, which puts then off.

These days electric bikes are a great choice for many, allowing them to take the effort out of small hills. But it still won't get over your fear of riding on roads though gumboots!

No. I could train to improve my stamina and ability to cycle up hills but I still get panicky when cars approach from behind. The route from Fleetwood to blackpool wasnt busy. Just had to use the road a bit at one point but that wide sea defence prom is lovely and it was nice to get a bit of different air

I'm lucky, I live right by a 19 mile flat off road route, I can do a quick 6 mile ride with the dogs running alongside in under an hour, have raced off road when I was younger also but cycling on the road (especially nowadays) is pretty much a leap of faith everytime.? 

As far as good news goes, Mrs just had a phone call saying she could be back at work next week which means I might lose a bit of the timber that 3 square meals a day and regular baking has given me.

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

I don't know what the roads are like in Blackburn theses days, " 4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire " and all that but the roads in Rochdale were dreadful. Since the lockdown started the council have had contractors working everywhere properly repairing damaged roads. At least smoother rides and less punctures will be a plus from this crisis.

My daughter's just got herself a little part time job. One of the pubs down the road have bought a chip van to try & get a little bit of income (also serving takeaway draught & bottled beers!). they were looking for an assistant and they saw her post on FB looking for part time work so gave her a ring.

She worked Thurs, Fri & Sat evenings - the queues were all across the car park & halfway down the road! they made a killing & are looking at keeping  it even after lockdown.

No more "Dad, I'm bored!" or "Dad, can I have some money!"

• Like 8

After 5 weeks of doing nothing but the odd walk for the first part of lockdown, I decided I needed to get back out and do something.

It seems like, having 5 weeks of complete rest have done wonders for my knees, so I attempted running again. I haven't been a regular runner for a few years, I was cycling to work every day and playing football twice a week before all this.

Anyway, after a difficult start a few weeks ago, I did a 5 mile run this morning. Pretty happy with that! Started off with 2.5 miles a few weeks back, so at least I have progressed.

• Like 4

We're making steady progress on the Ribble Way. We did Horton to Settle last Friday and Settle to Cow Bridge today. We've seen hardly a soul walking the path on both days, 10 miles on Friday and 7 today except when we passed Stainforth Force on Friday. It's a small waterfall on the river with a swimming pool below it. There were about 100 people at or immediately around the Force.

• Like 1

Sandi way? A bit posh for round here!

Not exactly good news but a little story that might amuse you all. My neighbours’ daughter sent them  a small package to cheer them up, some beer and wine. The Amazon driver refused to leave the delivery without proof that they were over 18. He has stopped driving, doesn’t have a passport and the driver wouldn’t accept his bus pass. They are both in their early 80s!

• Like 2