BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Good News!

On 06/08/2020 at 02:55, RoverDom said:

My other half claimed she would never want to know and would want it to be a surprise until I pointed out she cant watch a tv series without looking up spoilers cos she cant bare not knowing stuff. 

On 06/08/2020 at 06:49, gumboots said:

I never wanted to know. I refused all scans until I had my 4th child when there were some problems with the pregnancy and I had to have one. I hated it, all that cold slimy jelly smeared on a painfully stretched stomach(I was huge with my 4th) I vowed never again.

I think that it's cultural. Over here in the USA I'd say that 90%+ find out before the birth. Gender reveal parties, however annoying, are now commonplace. 

I'm a practical type so was always ready to find out what I was having. 

What about names? Of those on here with kids did you have names picked out ready? If so did you let people know? Or did you decide once you laid eyes on the little wonder?

8 hours ago, gumboots said:

We had boy and girl names lined up and with our 4th we couldn't decide between 2 boys names so when he was born we gave the other 3 kids the choice and fortunately they agreed.

You might not have seen this but the youth convicted of the murder of a woman in Accrington last year was called Rocky Marciano Price !

15 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I think that it's cultural. Over here in the USA I'd say that 90%+ find out before the birth. Gender reveal parties, however annoying, are now commonplace. 

I'm a practical type so was always ready to find out what I was having. 

What about names? Of those on here with kids did you have names picked out ready? If so did you let people know? Or did you decide once you laid eyes on the little wonder?

We had quite a strange one with our youngest. When me & the missus met, she had 2 kids from her previous marriage whose names both began with a 'K', not too bad you think, until you then realise that both our names begin with a 'K' so we had to pick another 'K' to avoid the latest arrival feeling left out (I always remember a mate of mine questioning why his name didn't start with an 'S' like his 3 sisters!).

So, with this in mind, we picked a boy's name & a girl's name beginning with a 'K'. When the arrival came and it was a little girl we were pre-armed and Keira it was!

We have since added a dog to the ranks and yes, you've guessed it! - Kesha! ?

The KKK has nothing on us! We're the KKKKKK!! ?

Edited by windymiller7
  • Like 2

Mrs Shoelaces tells a funny story about kids names.

She was taking the register at the start of the school day and she called out " Billy Carter ? ".  Billy's sat right in front of her on the front row but he doesn't bat an eyelid. So she calls his name again. Still not a flicker from Billy. Then she says " Billy, why are you not answering me when I call out your name ? "

He said " That's not my name anymore Miss, I want to be called " Lone Wolf McQuade " in future !

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Backroom
6 hours ago, gumboots said:

Thanks, Mike. Hope all going well with your soon to be born little one

Yep, Mrs E in good health and baby perfect size (albeit not yet born)

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 1

On 14/08/2020 at 16:46, windymiller7 said:

We had quite a strange one with our youngest. When me & the missus met, she had 2 kids from her previous marriage whose names both began with a 'K', not too bad you think, until you then realise that both our names begin with a 'K' so we had to pick another 'K' to avoid the latest arrival feeling left out (I always remember a mate of mine questioning why his name didn't start with an 'S' like his 3 sisters!).

So, with this in mind, we picked a boy's name & a girl's name beginning with a 'K'. When the arrival came and it was a little girl we were pre-armed and Keira it was!

We have since added a dog to the ranks and yes, you've guessed it! - Kesha! ?

The KKK has nothing on us! We're the KKKKKK!! ?

It can be confusing though. We gave our second son a name beginning with A (same as mine). We never knew who our letters were addressed to until he left home and even now I get some for him occasionally.

I'll be going for a semi distant visit to an ex workmate of mine who will be 100 not out on Thursday. I can only wave at him from outside his house but it'll be good to see him again. He's still got all his marbles. I was pulling his leg about getting a birthday card from Queenie. He said " It'll be going on the fire if I do ".

• Like 6

On 06/07/2020 at 15:12, only2garners said:

On another lockdown project I have agreed to cycle 1,000 miles for charity over the next few months. I'll be doing it for WaterAid, a charity close to my heart and which I had a very small part in helping set up in 1982. If anyone wants to find our more and/or sponsor me ave a look at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/John-Wareing5.

I finished my 1,000 mile cycle challenge today with a great ride from Caton to home. To date I’ve raised over £1,500 for WaterAid.

• Like 8

• Backroom

It's a small thing but the animal charity I volunteer for are starting to let volunteers return and have offered me a slot 10am-midday on Saturdays. Before the pandemic I used to go there every Saturday and Sunday, usually in the afternoons, and really enjoyed the social aspect alongside working with the animals. It's been roughly 7 months since I was last there, and being given the chance to go back has really boosted my mood after a pretty difficult past couple of months :) 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I'm due to become a grandparent for the first time in March. Absolutely thrilled and it's a beacon of light amongst all the current doom and gloom. I don't mind if it's a girl or boy as long as it's healthy but irrespective, he or she will be getting a blue and white halved baby grow!

• Like 9