BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS ? 25 years today

8 year old me was over at my grandparents house (because they had Sky) watching the game with them and my auntie, my uncle was on a stag do if memory serves.

Obviously excited and delighted with the victory. I'd been following Rovers (with clarity) since I was 5, first game being the Playoff Final at Wembley, followed by my first season ticket for the 1993/94 season, aged 6/7, so understandably, the overall magnitude of the day and achievement was lost on me somewhat.

We'd finished 4th, 2nd and now 1st in my three seasons supporting the team!! :D

But I remember the day after more clearly, going to Sacred Heart Primary School in my Rovers shirt and then down to Ewood at night for the big celebration, my lasting memory being stood on my seat (which I still sit in) and my dad said to me..... ''Take this in Roger, this will never happen again....''

I've heard, seen and read so much about that 1994/95 season in recent weeks and months, and I'm delighted to see we're getting the coverage we deserve. 

Time only makes me more and more proud of the achievement.

• Like 2

Four particular things make me smile when I think about that day:
1. My mate Paddy O’Callaghan throwing his trannie radio about 100ft into the Anfield sky when the final whistle went at Upton Park. (RIP Paddy)
2. Two scousers knocking fuck out of each other in the pub after the game. I have no idea what they were arguing about but it was like a scene from Harry Enfield.
3. A big banner hung on a farmhouse aside the M61 that said “Well done Rovers, from BWFC fans” (classy!)
4. As each car or minibus full of fans approached Ewood on the way back from the game, the thousands of fans that were outside the ground cheered us as we went past - you’d think we were the returning heroes ha ha.

Nobody can ever take that day away from us ????✊?✊???

• Like 6

So many wonderful memories!

I decorated my car with blue and white balloons and a Union Flag. Parked outside the Manxman as we watched the game from there. Came out elated to find all my balloons deflated and the flag knicked!

Got interviewed by Sky Sports at the Manxman and the same guy spotted me after the game down at Ewood for another interview! I remember saying “we’ve beaten the big boys” a number of times!

The amazing feeling when the guy who was filming us in the Manxman told us the game at Upton Park had finished and we’d done it. Cue bedlam in the pub! A total stranger and I just embraced and hugged each other with tears streaming down our faces!

The car journey into town took forever as the streets were lined with scores of people just shouting and singing.

The Monday night seeing Ewood packed with 32,000 Rovers all singing their hearts out. Scenes we’ll not see repeated in my lifetime if ever.

Just a magical day for everyone!

• Like 2

I've always thought thank fuck Redknapp didn't score with 10 minutes left to play!

Fantastic memories that can never be taken away.

As tony said above, a magical day for everyone and sadly unlikely to ever be repeated.

Better to have had once than never!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I've always thought thank fuck Redknapp didn't score with 10 minutes left to play!

Fantastic memories that can never be taken away.

As tony said above, a magical day for everyone and sadly unlikely to ever be repeated.

Better to have had once than never!

Most football fans could only dream of experiencing what we did, and I don't know about anyone else but because I'd lived through the late 60s and all that followed, I relished and thoroughly took in every single minute of it at the time.

I consider myself so lucky to have been a small part of it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Most football fans could only dream of experiencing what we did, and I don't know about anyone else but because I'd lived through the late 60s and all that followed, I relished and thoroughly took in every single minute of it at the time.

I consider myself so lucky to have been a small part of it.

All of our era must think that way, it was beyond our wildest dreams. Absolute fantasy island, I still have to pinch myself if I'm honest!

I regret the 'loads and loads of money' taunts now though but it was fun and bloody great at the time!

• Like 1

Still very proud. Wearing my McEwans top today. I remember storming out after that late Liverpool goal only for my wife to call me back to say that I am missing the celebrations. 

it was worth buying Andy Cole  just to thank him for all his misses at West Ham. 

My memory of the day was being in Liverpool and not being able to see out of one eye as I had an issue.  I knew I needed to go to the hospital but put it off until after the game.  I went straight from Anfield to Liverpool eye hospital and got back to Blackburn on Saturday after missing everyone coming back.

so I saw half the game ?

• Like 1

I was 12 and went to Anfield with my dad. They could only get 2 tickets and unbeknownst to me at the time my grandpa said he’d rather I went than him. Glad he made that sacrifice. My main memory afterwards were how emotional all the “grown ups” were. As a young lad probably didn’t really appreciate the miracle it was. Even at that age probably been to Wembley 4 times including that ridiculous 45 minute job. 

When we got back to Blackburn went to my grandparents house and she’d decked the house in flags and bunting. Gran was giving me champagne and my mum was saying as his mum I’m saying he can’t drink alcohol and my gran saying as your mum I say he can. Can’t remember who won. Perhaps gran did after all. ? ?

Think my old man then went to the woodlands where I’m sure he said some of the players came afterwards. Might be wrong. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 2

On 14/05/2020 at 11:21, rog of the rovers said:

But I remember the day after more clearly, going to Sacred Heart Primary School in my Rovers shirt and then down to Ewood at night for the big celebration, my lasting memory being stood on my seat (which I still sit in) and my dad said to me..... ''Take this in Roger, this will never happen again....''

Did you disagree with him?

If the mods remove this can you at least have the courtesy to explain why? Are you not allowed to ask questions now?

Edited by Vinjay

We could have proved Roger's old man wrong if we'd have replaced a couple of our weakest players. Standing still on the recruitment front meant we were inevitably going backwards. None of the top sides are happy to carry on with the same 11. When you've just won the title and you are in Europe is the perfect time to bring in top players.

• Like 1

The club was on the verge of cementing itself as a major player for the next decade, the fanbase was expanding rapidly across Lancashire and beyond.

However, we totally messed up recruitment that summer and we never made up the ground lost again.

• Like 4

Relived the full Liverpool game shown last night on sky and my heart sank as Liverpool scored winner. But it was seconds later that we experience what every fan wants. We did it and can say to most "Champions of England, you'll never see that". :brfcsmilie: 

Edited by Cherry Blue
  • Like 1