BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS ? 25 years today

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Vinjay said:

Did you disagree with him?

If the mods remove this can you at least have the courtesy to explain why? Are you not allowed to ask questions now?

You can ask away, it just seemed a bit unnecessary. Were they wrong to say that?

We’ve not won the top league since and probably won’t again most likely....

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

The club was on the verge of cementing itself as a major player for the next decade, the fanbase was expanding rapidly across Lancashire and beyond.

However, we totally messed up recruitment that summer and we never made up the ground lost again.

The frustrating thing was we could see it happening and do nothing about it.

I've just watched the Liverpool game in full on Sky, how many chances did we have in the last 15 mins to wrap things up?

Sutton open goal fluffed his shot, Shearer 7yrds out blazed over the bar and a deflection that wrong footed James and went inches wide? 

I still found myself wanting to jump off the settee. brilliant, just brilliant.

The height of my ambition as a Rovers fan growing up in the 70/80's was to possibly make an FA Cup semi final, I never thought for one minute we'd win the league, win the league cup and travel the length and breadth of Europe following Blackburn Rovers :brfc:

Tremendous, can't thank you enough Jack Walker :tu:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I've just watched the Liverpool game in full on Sky, how many chances did we have in the last 15 mins to wrap things up?

Sutton open goal fluffed his shot, Shearer 7yrds out blazed over the bar and a deflection that wrong footed James and went inches wide? 

I still found myself wanting to jump off the settee. brilliant, just brilliant.

The height of my ambition as a Rovers fan growing up in the 70/80's was to possibly make an FA Cup semi final, I never thought for one minute we'd win the league, win the league cup and travel the length and breadth of Europe following Blackburn Rovers :brfc:

Tremendous, can't thank you enough Jack Walker :tu:

My mum could have put away the chance that Sutton missed and she's 89.

17 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My mum could have put away the chance that Sutton missed and she's 89.

The one Shearer missed he would have scored about 95 times out of 100 as well (albeit a more difficult chance than Sutty's)

On 16/05/2020 at 11:12, Vinjay said:

Did you disagree with him?

If the mods remove this can you at least have the courtesy to explain why? Are you not allowed to ask questions now?

On 16/05/2020 at 11:48, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We could have proved Roger's old man wrong if we'd have replaced a couple of our weakest players. Standing still on the recruitment front meant we were inevitably going backwards. None of the top sides are happy to carry on with the same 11. When you've just won the title and you are in Europe is the perfect time to bring in top players.

I think the point he was trying to make to 8 year old me was, take this in!

Similarly, I'm sure most realistic Rovers fans knew that the time at the top wouldn't last and to savour the moment.

We won the footballing lottery. Perhaps we didn't invest as well as we could, but for one brief moment, we were the best team in the country!

I understand what his point was. I just don't think the timing was necessary or merited. I'm sure you were "taking it in" just fine without a typical Blackburnian comment.

At the time there's no doubt who was the best striker in country. Dalglish you could have argued was the top manager in country at that point. Presumably your Dad didn't know he had quit. The money that Jack spent between 95-99 was definitely enough to win the Championship again. It just wasn't used correctly. I know Harford's remembered more for his good points but really he did an awful job as manager. He split up the Sutton/Shearer partnership for one thing. Newcastle almost won league in 95-96 and you could argue that Rovers were better than them and that Leeds 1992 side. Hendry, Berg and Le Saux were better than any defenders Newcastle had. I can't believe they finished 2nd with Darren Peacock as a regular. I know people say teams finish where they deserve in the league but there are clear anomalies. 

Edited by Vinjay

16 minutes ago, Vinjay said:

I understand what his point was. I just don't think the timing was necessary or merited. I'm sure you were "taking it in" just fine without a typical Blackburnian comment.

At the time there's no doubt who was the best striker in country. Dalglish you could have argued was the top manager in country at that point. Presumably your Dad didn't know he had quit. The money that Jack spent between 95-99 was definitely enough to win the Championship again. It just wasn't used correctly. I know Harford's remembered more for his good points but really he did an awful job as manager. He split up the Sutton/Shearer partnership for one thing. Newcastle almost won league in 95-96 and you could argue that Rovers were better than them. Hendry, Berg and Le Saux were better than any defenders Newcastle had. I know people say teams finish where they deserve in the league but there are clear anomalies. 

What does the bit in bold even mean?

Also, your big hero Jack split up the SAS, not Ray Harford.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Vinjay said:

Rubbish. Sutton criticised Harford in his autobiography. 

It isn't rubbish.

If you are going to credit Jack with buying players then he carries the can for selling them too. He sold Shearer, ergo he split the SAS up!

Edited by oldjamfan1

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It isn't rubbish.If you are going to credit Jack with buying players then he carries the can for selling them too. He sold Shearer, ergo he split the SAS up!

It was an obvious reference to Harford preferring Shearer/Newell and the 95-96 league performance. 

Edited by Vinjay

3 hours ago, Vinjay said:

It was an obvious reference to Harford preferring Shearer/Newell and the 95-96 league performance. 

How many league goals did Sutton score in 13 games that season? I'll give you a clue, it was the same amount Paul McKinnon  scored for the club. Had that been Ashley Ward/Kevin Davies/Chris Brown/insert your own choice of dud striker here* the fans would have been all over them (and not in a good way!)

Dropping an out of form/unfit player (which is what Sutty was at that point) is a manager's lot. Newell and Shearer was actually a decent partnership for us. And yeah, I'm not surprised Sutton wasn't happy about it - I wouldn't expect him to be.

Selling a player is what 'actually' split up the SAS, the player in question being Shearer.

Edited by oldjamfan1

On 16/05/2020 at 18:48, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We could have proved Roger's old man wrong if we'd have replaced a couple of our weakest players. Standing still on the recruitment front meant we were inevitably going backwards. None of the top sides are happy to carry on with the same 11. When you've just won the title and you are in Europe is the perfect time to bring in top players.

Absolutely. Linked to the likes of Zidane and Dugarry and we brought in Dailly and Holmes.

No team stands still and looks to improve. Those two were squad fillers rather than being standout improvements. We could have attracted the best players in the world and for a bit of investment, could have continued to be one of the top dogs competing for the title and cups for years to come. Instead we fell away. 

• Like 1

A phenomenal chapter in the club's storied history that will never be forgotten but it's a shame we never built on it. Getting the likes of Zidane, Dugarry and Eriksson would've really put us on the map. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Amo said:

A phenomenal chapter in the club's storied history that will never be forgotten but it's a shame we never built on it. Getting the likes of Zidane, Dugarry and Eriksson would've really put us on the map. 

No way Jack, or any right minded businessman, would keep pouring money into the club in such an unviable way. I will say that the investment in players shouldn’t have been turned off like a tap as it was. 

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It wasn’t unviable, we were PL champions and those were players/managers lined up to come and would be sold on for profit.

We wasted far more money on shite in the late 90s

Mate the club was making significant losses year on year even during those glory years, that is an unviable business 

It was never going to last for ever, we weren’t a big enough club to compete with Oil money. But there was nothing stopping us being at the top for the rest of the 90s.

It was 1995, not 2005. The likes of Zidane, Dugarry et al were available for prices (or less) than what we were spending on shite like Dailly, Davies and Ward 3/4 years later.

So of course it was viable in the 90s, especially as pretty much every big signing we made between 1992 and 1994 was sold on for a profit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have you all seen the picture of Hendry pulling a full mooner after winning the PL? Pants around the ankles and all(if he is even wearing pants, its impossible to confirm from the pic). I saw it for the first time yesterday. It's incredible really. Such different times. If a player did it now it would be front page news and there would be serious questions raised about his mental health. 

Can't remember how it all started with Hendry but it was in the days fans and players had humour and interacted without fear of being banned or fined in their case.  Used to do it at the beginning of most games when the chant went up but i think the club put the dampners on it when the crowds and profile started to rocket.

Still did it on the special occasions though !