BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

italians officials have confirmed that the iconic san siro can be demolished to make way for a new stadium

another corporate bowl no doubt and another iconic venue bulldozed,after the mess they made of the maracana,hampden park and the overblown cost of building a new wembley,sadly we will soon be left with only memories,only the upcoming economic slump can save us from the corporate behamoth

• Like 3

Went on a San Siro stadium tour on a school trip back in the day. Well worth a visit.

It's probably quite ageing by now, a lot of Italian stadiums are like that (San Paolo in Naples is said to be in a shocking state), but yeah I'd rather that with all its history - provided it's not unsafe - than a soulless bowl any day of the week.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Don't quite understand this. Replacing a stadium that seats approx 80000 with a 60000 seater ?

At this moment in time why invest in a new stadium at all? I would have thought the council could think of a better use of the money 

Edited by rigger

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Neither side usually get close to filling it, apart from the Milan Derby and Juventus games. The upper tiers are closed a lot of the time.

Fair enough. I assumed that they would fill out given the size of both clubs.

To watch my othe footballing love Inter I try to visit a couple of time a season, it is a wonderful stadium with so many fabulous memories.  However, it is starting to shows it's age and the facilities are quite poor for fans and it is very rarely full. they looked at redeveloping the existing stadium but it would have been an expensive and lengthy process with a limited scope as to what they could so I can understand the decision to demolish and rebuild.

5 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

To watch my othe footballing love Inter I try to visit a couple of time a season, it is a wonderful stadium with so many fabulous memories.  However, it is starting to shows it's age and the facilities are quite poor for fans and it is very rarely full. they looked at redeveloping the existing stadium but it would have been an expensive and lengthy process with a limited scope as to what they could so I can understand the decision to demolish and rebuild.

To be fair, it doesn't surprise me it's looking tired. The bottom tier is 100 years old!

Edited by windymiller7

They can build a modern stadium with some unique elements. Rangers have kept their main stand facade and the corner stairwells may look old but were only built 30 years ago.

The new San Siro (they will probably need a sponsor largely thanks to FUP if it isn't crushed by then) could rebuild those concrete towers within a modern design.

Edited by Vinjay

I went a few years ago. It’s bordering on a bit of a dump internally, but its definitely worth a visit as an iconic ground. Weirdly despite Milan having so much football history, didn’t see a shirt until 50 yards from the ground. All in all decent long weekend Milan fairly generic city but short train ride to the lakes and almost guaranteed there’s a game at the san Siro.