BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Leicester Play Off Final

Am I the only one who watched it today on Rovers YouTube channel, #Roversrewind?

Never seen it since being there on the day and not having the stress of watching live made me revisit a few opinions I have held since.

Definitely a penalty, Speedie beat Walsh with a turn and the arm came across him. Cowans was a lot more Tugay-esque than I remember. Atkins was like having two players; he was 23 then and a lot better than Travis at similar age IMO, he got past our forwards more in that game than LT has in his career.

I don’t know why we convinced ourselves they were all over us: Mimms made one very pedestrian save all afternoon while Muggleton kept them in it with 4 crucial ones in the second half. The two goal line clearances were routine, either would’ve been a very scruffy goal had it gone in.

I loved listening to Lennie Lawrence as the co-commentator, really good at explaining why things were happening. A bit surprising to hear Don McKay basically call Sellars a big-game choker in the preamble, not that he starred in the game to be fair to Don. Price was very ineffective on the other wing.

There would’ve been four sendings off by today’s standards, and I for one prefer backpasses to the keeper to the endless sideways passing we have to endure today.

It’s a cracking watch, don’t miss it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Am I the only one who watched it today on Rovers YouTube channel, #Roversrewind?

I loved listening to Lennie Lawrence as the co-commentator, really good at explaining why things were happening. A bit surprising to hear Don McKay basically call Sellars a big-game choker in the preamble, not that he starred in the game to be fair to Don. Price was very ineffective on the other wing.

It’s a cracking watch, don’t miss it.

Don must have missed the semi final against Derby.........

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I think we look back thinking we were under the cosh due to a few trademark Braveheart Big Col moments.

No doubt we were the better side. Would’ve been cigar time if Newell has bagged the second pen.

I never felt under the cosh at any point, we dominated the game, looked comfortable throughout I thought.

Although I must admit when Kevin 'Rooster' Russell scored the late winner at The Darwen End in the league game I thought we'd blown it. 

There are a few huge games when at the time I was thinking we were hanging on but that could have been down to being fraught at being so close. This game was one of them when every second seemed like an hour and every Leicester attack convinced me they would score. But the feeling of winning them games certainly overrides the tension we go through.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

“He never showed up in the second leg against Palace, nor in the Full Members Cup Final” - first time I’ve heard anything that harsh from Don

He certainly wasn't the only one not to show up at Palace (there were ten others that day from what i saw). FMC final was an attritional game not really suited to Scottie's talents. Very, very harsh from the Don I feel. Players like Sellars have a tendency to blow hot and cold to be fair but this insinuates he was a choker, which he never struck me as. 

the only time we ever looked under pressure was 15 minutes from the restart,leicester were bombarbing us with long balls up to the lanky ***** ian ormandroyd(who made peter crouch seem small)moran and hendry were immense for that period,after that we saw the game out well,we were all nervous considering what had happened in the previous play off debacles,tbh i thought we were under more pressure at derby in the semi`s,they threw everything at us and they were a far better side than leicester,we were watching on the big screen at ewood and it was truly painfull,they should have let speedie chin that yob at the end as well?

@Exiled in Toronto thanks for this thread. When the game was played I was working far upcountry miles from a TV. I got the score hours later from HO. I've seen highlights, mainly of the penalty incident, but that was it until now. I've just spent a thoroughly enjoyable time watching the full game and even though I knew the result it was great to see it all.

Leicester had spells when they threatened, Mimms catching was superb apart from one that led to one of those goal line clearances. We had the better chances throughout, Newell gave a great display ably assisted by Speedie. A great all round team effort which I am so pleased to have now seen in full.

I am a subscriber to the Rovers YouTube channel but didn't know about Rewind for some reason. I see lots of other great games are available to so I know how my next couple of lockdown days will be spent. Happy Days :rover:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

@Exiled in Toronto thanks for this thread. When the game was played I was working far upcountry miles from a TV. I got the score hours later from HO. I've seen highlights, mainly of the penalty incident, but that was it until now. I've just spent a thoroughly enjoyable time watching the full game and even though I knew the result it was great to see it all.

Leicester had spells when they threatened, Mimms catching was superb apart from one that led to one of those goal line clearances. We had the better chances throughout, Newell gave a great display ably assisted by Speedie. A great all round team effort which I am so pleased to have now seen in full.

I am a subscriber to the Rovers YouTube channel but didn't know about Rewind for some reason. I see lots of other great games are available to so I know how my next couple of lockdown days will be spent. Happy Days :rover:

I’m now hooked on #Roversrewind - VE Day was also terrific watching in full.

Back to Wembley, I thought in the first half Mimms looked like Banks when compared to Walton. Second half he looked like Walton! ?

Lennie Lawrence called it though, they never turned our back 4 once. On top of that, the gulf in class between Newell/Speedie vs Rooster/Ornondroyd was huge and ultimately decided the game. 

I dont think any player has made an impact in 1 season at a club like Speedie did at Rovers that season.Its a shame we had to let him go to Southampton to get Shearer,i wonder what a Shearer/Speedie forward partnership would have been like if they could have had time together.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

I dont think any player has made an impact in 1 season at a club like Speedie did at Rovers that season.Its a shame we had to let him go to Southampton to get Shearer,i wonder what a Shearer/Speedie forward partnership would have been like if they could have had time together.

McNamee I’d put as equally transformative. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

I always think of Bellamy too when thinking of Speedie and his one season.

Speedie was fantastic in that year, and was probably my first ever footballing "hero", but hell, Bellamy was incredible, and was probably the main reason we went from a bottom six top flight side to a top six side top flight side within a year..

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Speedie was fantastic in that year, and was probably my first ever footballing "hero", but hell, Bellamy was incredible, and was probably the main reason we went from a bottom six top flight side to a top six side top flight side within a year..

Archibald would be another for me, though I do recognise that he was playing at a level below his talents when he signed for us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Speedie was absolutely fantastic, we're comparing 2 of the best players in recent Rovers history here, but Bellamy brought the Shearer years back for me. You walked down to Ewood wondering how many he'd score or how many he'd put on a plate for Kuqi to miss, but he was on another level.

Tremendous players, we've been blessed, they can't take away our memories chaps :tu:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Speedie was absolutely fantastic, we're comparing 2 of the best players in recent Rovers history here, but Bellamy brought the Shearer years back for me. You walked down to Ewood wondering how many he'd score or how many he'd put on a plate for Kuqi to miss, but he was on another level.

Tremendous players, we've been blessed, they can't take away our memories chaps :tu:

how very dare you diss kuqi?he was magnificent(sometimes),what would you give to have him up front now

16 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

how very dare you diss kuqi?he was magnificent(sometimes),what would you give to have him up front now

The worst thing about Kuqi, who I liked by the way, was he played with Craig Bellamy who was simply a brilliant footballer, it made him look worse than he was. 

I used to watch them play together and hope that Bellamy wouldn't get to pissed off at the lack of class alongside him and for the most part I think he put up with it. 

Pity we couldn't have kept hold of him for longer, bit like Speedie in many ways, 2 legends in my book, but I bet neither player really knows just how much they're loved and admired at Ewood. 

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

Pity we couldn't have kept hold of him for longer, bit like Speedie in many ways, 2 legends in my book, but I bet neither player really knows just how much they're loved and admired at Ewood. 

Speedie certainly does mate - I once spoke to him at a function at Hampden Park about it and he loved his time with us as well (not surprisingly really). He said he still gets a lot of Rovers fans saying nice things about his time at Ewood, 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Gav said:

.. but Bellamy brought the Shearer years back for me. You walked down to Ewood wondering how many he'd score

Whilst he was very, very good - he only scored 7 at Ewood in the league that season.

I'd never put him on a level with Shearer in regards to how many I'd expect him to score in a game.

Just watched the game v Liverpool in full and in colour for the first time. Back in 95 my TV had expired on matchday and I watched on a scrounged 14" B&W. Thanks to local TV with English commentary, plus local. LoL.

A lot of incidents got cleared up. We should have won the game, AS could have had a hat trick and Sutton would have scored with just a little more purchase on the ball. We deserved to win, Liverpool controlled the first 30 mins of the 2nd half but we defended well plus had the better chances throughout. Ellery was a Gent.

A great watch and weirdly I was still nervous watching it and hearing to updates from Upton Park. The after match celebrations were superb as was how many Liverpudlians stayed to applaud.

Now on the the game at Preston.

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Just watched the game v Liverpool in full and in colour for the first time. Back in 95 my TV had expired on matchday and I watched on a scrounged 14" B&W. Thanks to local TV with English commentary, plus local. LoL.

A lot of incidents got cleared up. We should have won the game, AS could have had a hat trick and Sutton would have scored with just a little more purchase on the ball. We deserved to win, Liverpool controlled the first 30 mins of the 2nd half but we defended well plus had the better chances throughout. Ellery was a Gent.

A great watch and weirdly I was still nervous watching it and hearing to updates from Upton Park. The after match celebrations were superb as was how many Liverpudlians stayed to applaud.

Now on the the game at Preston.

Is the last statement a career update?

• Like 3