Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

I don't understand how this is going to work. 

Are they going to do away with the weekly or twice weekly testing or are they going to roll it out across all four divisions? How are they going to pay for it all?

How are clubs going to pay their players and fulfil fixtures especially in the bottom two leagues without income? Are Sky or the League bailing them out?

It seems every issue from 3 months ago is still there yet they are now able to restart. 

Don't get me wrong I'm glad about it but just baffled by the lack of answers.

What about if someone in the same seating area tests positive are season ticket holders in that area going to be contacted to self isolate for 2 weeks I for one wont put myself in that position as if I dont work I dont get paid simple as

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What that says to me @philipl is that fans matter. 12th man and all that. Influencing referees is our job, our duty, I’m pretty sure I’ve personally got players booked in games. Usually by drawing attention to opposing players’ misconduct and making a referee deal with a situation. In BCD those situations don’t occur.

It’s why teams like Liverpool and United have always had favourable decisions in home games.

Is it a bad thing - or is it the essence of the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see there where 1000 spectators allowed at a friendly cricket match in London today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football fans will be allowed inside a stadium in the UK for the first time since lockdown when Ballymena United meet Glentoran in the Irish Cup final at Windsor Park in Belfast on Friday.

500 per team

I hope to watch the game via DodgyTv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the last few days it's difficult to predict what is going to happen next week let alone October. It's pure speculation at best. With Championship clubs having paid £210k for CV-19 testing to enable them to train and play then presumably clubs in League's One and Two will have a similar amount to find or at least pro rata based on staff numbers. That only covered the six week period to get the games played and with October being over 12 weeks away I just don't think many can survive when you factor in wages and other expenses. The only answer is to get a vaccine that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, arbitro said:

After the last few days it's difficult to predict what is going to happen next week let alone October. It's pure speculation at best. With Championship clubs having paid £210k for CV-19 testing to enable them to train and play then presumably clubs in League's One and Two will have a similar amount to find or at least pro rata based on staff numbers. That only covered the six week period to get the games played and with October being over 12 weeks away I just don't think many can survive when you factor in wages and other expenses. The only answer is to get a vaccine that works.

That's not going to come along any time soon though is it ? It's hard to see a way forward other than suspending the leagues until such time as a vaccine is found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's not going to come along any time soon though is it ? It's hard to see a way forward other than suspending the leagues until such time as a vaccine is found.

I can envisage a situation where all the fixtures are released (as yet there is no date for this) and the leagues are thrown in disarray as clubs go bust. And from a Rovers perspective the wage deferral was only until the end of June. The wage bill will be proportionately higher for the next couple of months until the deferrals have been settled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's not going to come along any time soon though is it ? It's hard to see a way forward other than suspending the leagues until such time as a vaccine is found.

The clubs would still have to pay the contracted players. Clubs would therefore still go bust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

The clubs would still have to pay the contracted players. Clubs would therefore still go bust. 

The players would be put in a position of either accepting a significant cut in wages or not getting paid at all when the club goes bust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The players would be put in a position of either accepting a significant cut in wages or not getting paid at all when the club goes bust.

Exactly, but the end result is the same. No club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Exactly, but the end result is the same. No club.

Not in every case. Some clubs could bat on with a reduced wage bill. It'd be less expensive that playing on behind closed doors. I can't see the season starting again this year so something will have to change. Obviously quite a few clubs were sailing close to the wind before the virus, it's not looking good for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Exactly, but the end result is the same. No club.

Or clubs with players that are willing to play for less money. The standard of football may drop, but commitment will increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, rigger said:

Or clubs with players that are willing to play for less money. The standard of football may drop, but commitment will increase.

That is the way forward for clubs from the Championship down. In the main the financial issues are created by one thing - players are paid too much. When Reading pay 176% of their turnover in wages it's not difficult to see what is causing the problem. Signing players on new deals from now should really be the turning point in addressing the extortionate wages but I don't think there is a snowball in hells chance of this happening. Panic buys will ensue towards the end of the window which will add to the agents leverage with clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, arbitro said:

That is the way forward for clubs from the Championship down. In the main the financial issues are created by one thing - players are paid too much. When Reading pay 176% of their turnover in wages it's not difficult to see what is causing the problem. Signing players on new deals from now should really be the turning point in addressing the extortionate wages but I don't think there is a snowball in hells chance of this happening. Panic buys will ensue towards the end of the window which will add to the agents leverage with clubs.

It's certainly going to be an interesting few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely all players will have to take a dramatic reduction in wages. Otherwise if most EFL clubs go out of business there will be no-one to employ them. It needs the EFL to bring in a maximum wage immediately.

EFL?......🙄😫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/08/2020 at 12:02, arbitro said:

That is the way forward for clubs from the Championship down. In the main the financial issues are created by one thing - players are paid too much. When Reading pay 176% of their turnover in wages it's not difficult to see what is causing the problem. Signing players on new deals from now should really be the turning point in addressing the extortionate wages but I don't think there is a snowball in hells chance of this happening. Panic buys will ensue towards the end of the window which will add to the agents leverage with clubs.

And if this sort of thing's going to happen at our level, what's going to go on further down 'the pyramid'?

I know, for example, that Rochdale FC - and Rochdale Hornets RLFC, afaik - have negotiated a loan from the Borough Council to keep them going. But there's been nothing in the local media - again, afaik - about when, and on what terms, that loan - to keep the Borough's sporting heritage going - has to be repaid, and on what terms.

I have a pal in London who's as keen a Dag & Red - National League - fan. Goodness only knows how teams at that level are going to survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all in favour of a 60% reduction in stadium capacity for 20/21.

Rovers will have a level playing field....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, philipl said:

I am all in favour of a 60% reduction in stadium capacity for 20/21.

Rovers will have a level playing field....

Not whilst Mowbray is at the helm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/08/2020 at 08:56, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

 

Just looking at this rationally what will actually have changed by October? Unless the population is significantly vaccinated by then (highly doubtful) nothing, and with the colder months coming and people spending more time indoors there will almost certainly be an increase of infections. October is likely to be more risky than now which makes this statement bizarre. 

I think it's all wishful thinking. For fans to be able to get back into the stadiums we either need

1) An effective vaccine or treatment that removes/minimises the risks

2) Accept the risks of increased transmission and deaths that come with it (which to me seems incredibly unlikely to happen)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Just looking at this rationally what will actually have changed by October? Unless the population is significantly vaccinated by then (highly doubtful) nothing, and with the colder months coming and people spending more time indoors there will almost certainly be an increase of infections. October is likely to be more risky than now which makes this statement bizarre. 

I think it's all wishful thinking. For fans to be able to get back into the stadiums we either need

1) An effective vaccine or treatment that removes/minimises the risks

2) Accept the risks of increased transmission and deaths that come with it (which to me seems incredibly unlikely to happen)

Why would people spending more time indoors increase infections?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Just looking at this rationally what will actually have changed by October? Unless the population is significantly vaccinated by then (highly doubtful) nothing, and with the colder months coming and people spending more time indoors there will almost certainly be an increase of infections. October is likely to be more risky than now which makes this statement bizarre. 

I think it's all wishful thinking. For fans to be able to get back into the stadiums we either need

1) An effective vaccine or treatment that removes/minimises the risks

2) Accept the risks of increased transmission and deaths that come with it (which to me seems incredibly unlikely to happen)

I agree. There is absolutely no certainty. Things could be a lot worse by October and probably will be. A vaccine before Christmas looks unlikely, and there's no guarantee there'll ever be an effective vaccine, there hasn't been yet for a coronavirus . The Govt have already decided on No.2. I don't suppose they have a choice because if they leave it any longer there will be no football clubs to support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.