BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

3 hours ago, Ianrally said:

I must be losing it because I had it in mind that Speedie climbed up the fence at the Darwen end after his hat trick goal against Newcastle, but not in the clip. What a player Speedie was.

That was at Plymouth after his hat trick down there wasn't it, to get us into the playoffs?

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

By the mid to late 80s he was a quality footballer.

Always wondered how he would have fared in the top flight...

The 1986-90 version of Garner would have held his own in the old first division. This might sound odd given he's our record goalscorer but I always felt as though his finishing wasn't quite top notch. It always amazed me that he rarely took penalties as well. He was okay when he didn't have time to think about it though and in his later years he was good at bringing others into play and a good crosser of the ball. I assume the main reason he didn't play at the top level was because of his reputation for off the field enjoyment, e.g. booze and fags. He scored often enough in cup games against first division teams to not be afraid of their defences anyway.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

basil,what were you doing?my main memory of the match was us taking the game to utd and paul mcgraph holding them together at times,he was a magnificent player to be fair,as good a centre back/midfielder as iv`e ever seen

He was a better player with one leg than most are with two.

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

He was a better player with one leg than most are with two.

I refereed him whilst he was at Sheffield United Andy and struck up a relationship with him after I told him my dad was from Offaly. I could smell the alcohol on him but he was like a Rolls Royce amongst Renaults. Another time I was in the players bar at Villa after a game and Nigel Kennedy was there. As Paul McGrath walked in Kennedy was shouting across the room to him and all heads turned towards McGrath. He left immediately just not wanting any attention whatsoever.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I refereed him whilst he was at Sheffield United Andy and struck up a relationship with him after I told him my dad was from Offaly. I could smell the alcohol on him but he was like a Rolls Royce amongst Renaults. Another time I was in the players bar at Villa after a game and Nigel Kennedy was there. As Paul McGrath walked in Kennedy was shouting across the room to him and all heads turned towards McGrath. He left immediately just not wanting any attention whatsoever.

Aye I knew he had an issue with the booze, he wasn't the only one from that United team that did either.......didn't realise (or remember) that he'd played for the Blades either. Great story Tony, when's the book coming out?

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Aye I knew he had an issue with the booze, he wasn't the only one from that United team that did either.......didn't realise (or remember) that he'd played for the Blades either. Great story Tony, when's the book coming out?

That ship sailed some time ago Andy ??.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

So, as a child, you were sent to the shop for "messages", which you put away in the "press"?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

So, as a child, you were sent to the shop for "messages", which you put away in the "press"?

In my first job in Glasgow we had a tenant called 'Mrs Cubbard'. My Maintenance Manager always called her 'Mrs Press' and after about three weeks of this I had to ask him wtf he was talking about!?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

In my first job in Glasgow we had a tenant called 'Mrs Cubbard'. My Maintenance Manager always called her 'Mrs Press' and after about three weeks of this I had to ask him wtf he was talking about!?

Now that is very funny...

One of my wife's elderly aunties referred to Philip Schofield, as "coming out of the press!"

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Podcast episode ???? ??

That sounds very technical for a simple Darrener like me Herbie ?

If you seriously want the inane ramblings of a retired referee then I would like to help.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Podcast episode ???? ??

Good idea...I would like to hear Arbitro's analysis of that infamous decision by a certain Spennymoor headmaster at Selhurst....

Also -under the heading of "Possible Atonement"- his comments on the high number of penalties awarded to Rovers in the 3(?) Rovers games he refereed after 1989!

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Good idea...I would like to hear Arbitro's analysis of that infamous decision by a certain Spennymoor headmaster at Selhurst....

Also -under the heading of "Possible Atonement"- his comments on the high number of penalties awarded to Rovers in the 3(?) Rovers games he refereed after 1989!

In hand... ;)

On 20/06/2020 at 12:12, Colt Seavers said:

I remember this like it was yesterday. Other than Travis for Reid and Adarbioyo for Mail I wouldn't put any of the current crop into that team.

Still one of my favourite games that. The other thing to note is the quality in that division that season.

Off the top of my head I can name, McAllister, Newell, Pallister, Earl Barrett, Stuart McCall, David Platt, Alan McInally, Teddy Sheringham, Tony Cascarino, John Sheridan, Denis Irwin all who were playing in that league that season.

The quality level is incomparable to now yet we've been conditioned into thinking we're punching above our weight. It certainly didn't stop us back then when we didn't have a pot to piss in.

• Like 1