BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

26 minutes ago, rigger said:

Brings back great memories 

Its a superb picture, taken at the top of Livesey Court 1972 by a chap called Peter Booth.

The Albion pub shining brightly, the kiosk between the Riverside and Darwen end.

Wasn't it around the time the fences went up at Ewood? After an Anglo-Scottish cup game against burnley which was like the War of the Roses by all accounts.

what a great photo,surprising how big the old riverside terrace was,i only saw it full once,against villa in the fa cup when kendall was in charge,i think it was the last 30000 crowd before elf and safety decimated the capacity,i loved our ramshackle ground and this photo brings back great memories,cigar smoke,stale beer and bovril

25 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

what a great photo,surprising how big the old riverside terrace was,i only saw it full once,against villa in the fa cup when kendall was in charge,i think it was the last 30000 crowd before elf and safety decimated the capacity,i loved our ramshackle ground and this photo brings back great memories,cigar smoke,stale beer and bovril

And teddies being thrown around the Riverside at half time! Freezing my nuts off on a Tuesday evening watching Rovers vs Hereford... Parched peas!

The fair was never the same after it moved from Ewood.. I remember as a scrawny 12 year old getting a 'job' helping set up for a morning, but then being well hacked off when I asked for my 'wages' only to be told to f-off, and getting chased off the site :) I think it was the next year it went down to Witton, and it was never as beguiling and exciting as it had been on the carpark at Ewood.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gav said:

Tremendous player frosty, he wasn’t here long, but he was well worth the admission price on his own.

Shearer would always be my No 1 striker but in the very long list of players I've seen and admired Craig Bellamy would be my choice to play along side him. I go back, just about to Roy Vernon and Peter Dobing, I remember Andy Mac and Fred Pickering really well, and coming up to date you have David Speedie, Chris Sutton. Kevin Gallagher, Matt Jansen, Andy Cole, Santa Cruz, Benny McCarthy, Yakubu even. There's some  truly great players in that list but I'd take Bellamy above them all.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Amo said:

Wonder who the "executive" was that Nelsen refers to?

I can't remember who was around then apart from those we can't name.

Maybe the tramp who had nothing to do with the team but kipped down at Brockhall. Maybe the programme seller.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I can't remember who was around then apart from those we can't name.

Maybe the tramp who had nothing to do with the team but kipped down at Brockhall. Maybe the programme seller.

I can't help feeling disappointed that he is only saying it now, 9 years later, with all the dust settled, safely(!) in the past with all of the baddies departed....

Underwhelmed!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I can't help feeling disappointed that he is only saying it now, 9 years later, with all the dust settled, safely(!) in the past with all of the baddies departed....

Underwhelmed!

Yep - we needed the likes of him to speak up at the time.

16 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yep - we needed the likes of him to speak up at the time.

I suspect he had to sign a NDA before he left and maybe even delayed final salary bonus etc. to ensure silence. I expect they all were.

He wouldn't name them even now. There's a reason for that and it's not nice imo

Remember the scum running the show at that time were basically shitheads protected by shysters

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I suspect he had to sign a NDA before he left and maybe even delayed final salary bonus etc. to ensure silence. I expect they all were.

He wouldn't name them even now. There's a reason for that and it's not nice imo

Remember the scum running the show at that time were basically shitheads protected by shysters

Every single player of Nelsen's era would have been a very rich man without any pay-offs they might have been entitled to when they left - it would have been nice for a couple of them to refuse to sign a NDA and side with the fans. They all piss in the same pot as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Every single player of Nelsen's era would have been a very rich man without any pay-offs they might have been entitled to when they left - it would have been nice for a couple of them to refuse to sign a NDA and side with the fans. They all piss in the same pot as far as I'm concerned.

Nailed it!

Great photo.

Dad took the Family to Blackburn on holiday quite a few times at Easter when I was a youngster. I remember going to the Fair at Ewood and going to pay for a ride and my pockets were empty. For sure I would only have had a bob or two but had bought nothing beforehand. Also vaguely recall going to a Fair somewhere else in town and the streets were cobbled but all around looked almost derelict. I did go to a fair of sorts at Witton Park but that was much later I think and was the first time I had ever had black peas. 

• Like 1

"Black Peas" ! Now you're talking. There used to be a bloke in Rochdale that had converted one of those ice cream tricycle's you used to see at the seaside to hold hot black peas. He used to go all around town with them. He'd stop at the end of our street and ring a bell. People would come from every house with a bowl or a pan. Monday night at around 6-45 where I lived. With some salt and vinegar they were fantastic..

• Like 1