BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

15 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Yeah, It was my birthday and I was gutted. I loved that team and it was a real shame they didn't go up. I think that season was the first in our hat trick of play-off failures...

It was indeed mate. I was out with a cruciate knee ligament injury the whole season so was able to attend every game bar one - happy days (but not that one - it was a long trip home, especially on your birthday Lennie!)

• Like 1

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

It was indeed mate. I was out with a cruciate knee ligament injury the whole season so was able to attend every game bar one - happy days (but not that one - it was a long trip home, especially on your birthday Lennie!)

No, my body was at Chester Zoo with the family, but I wasn't really "present". My soul was at Plymouth for Ardiles' debut!

• Like 1

I'm sure I went 1yr and we lost 4-0, Tommy Tynan (Plymouths Simon Garner) scoring all 4.

One year Sellers scored from a corner, the wind was howling in the direction of the away end, we all hid behind the wall at the back and missed most the game.

No idea why I decided to go to the furthest away game possible year in year out........

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'm sure I went 1yr and we lost 4-0, Tommy Tynan (Plymouths Simon Garner) scoring all 4.

One year Sellers scored from a corner, the wind was howling in the direction of the away end, we all hid behind the wall at the back and missed most the game.

No idea why I decided to go to the furthest away game possible year in year out........

I think the 4 nil was a night match early season 76 or 77 . 

46 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Good goal from Chris Sulley.

2 things i remember about this one,travelling there with a mate in his shiny recently purchased vauxhall belmont,he was non to happy that id`e just come off a building site,not had time to go home and change and got plaster all over his passenger seat and the barnsley massive threatening us with gbh on the walk to the ground,the massive consisted of a group of 10 year olds and their dog? ,i think the win made sure we were safe from relegation

• Like 1

I remember us playing West Ham around that time and Lenny Johnrose scored, Liam Brady played for the Hammers, still quality.

Think we went 4-0 up which prompted the West Ham fans to have a sit down protest on the Darwen end and the game ended up 4-3 I think.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gav said:

I remember us playing West Ham around that time and Lenny Johnrose scored, Liam Brady played for the Hammers, still quality.

Think we went 4-0 up which prompted the West Ham fans to have a sit down protest on the Darwen end and the game ended up 4-3 I think.

Nov 25 th 1989. Won 5-4. Scorers - Sellars 2, Johnrose, Stapleton, Garner.

Collier

Atkins, Hill, May, Sulley

Irvine, Reid , Sellars

Johnrose, Stapleton, Garner

That must have been some game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Nov 25 th 1989. Won 5-4. Scorers - Sellars 2, Johnrose, Stapleton, Garner.

Collier

Atkins, Hill, May, Sulley

Irvine, Reid , Sellars

Johnrose, Stapleton, Garner

That must have been some game.

Stood on the Bburn end in disbelief!

We almost blew it though, West Ham obviously got slaughtered by the manager at H/T and came out a different side, but we held on, just.

36 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

5-1 up we were in that West Ham game at one point.

Was just over a year after the 5-4 against Crystal Palace, and I don't think we have been involved in a 5-4 since?

I was at that 5-5 with Arsenal in the sixties. We were 3-0 up after 30 minutes, Dougie murdered them on his own. Arse got it back to 3-3 after half time.  Then 4-3, 4-4, 5-4 with about 5 minutes left. Arsenal equalised with the last kick of the game ! Bob Jones in goal parried a shot right to George Eastham on the penalty spot, he didn't miss from there. I can still see that goal in my mind's eye. It felt like losing ! I was behind the goal Arsenal were attacking at the Darwen End for some reason, maybe studying full back play watching Keith Newton.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

9 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

5-1 up we were in that West Ham game at one point.

Was just over a year after the 5-4 against Crystal Palace, and I don't think we have been involved in a 5-4 since?

The 5-4 Palace match was the 1st game I took my son to. What an introduction to life as a Rovers supporter. We sat up in the Nuttall St Stand as he was only 8 years old so he could have a good view of the action. He was on a high for the rest of the weekend and for once couldn’t wait to go to school on the Monday morning. We lived in Egerton at the time, so all his mates supported Notlob. Unfortunately, you don’t win 5-4 every week, but his love for Rovers has never wavered in over 30 years. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

The 5-4 Palace match was the 1st game I took my son to. What an introduction to life as a Rovers supporter. We sat up in the Nuttall St Stand as he was only 8 years old so he could have a good view of the action. He was on a high for the rest of the weekend and for once couldn’t wait to go to school on the Monday morning. We lived in Egerton at the time, so all his mates supported Notlob. Unfortunately, you don’t win 5-4 every week, but his love for Rovers has never wavered in over 30 years. 

It was on the telly box also, not sure what program, but big Ron was commentating. 

Chucking it down, Hendry last minutes I think, the season didn’t end well, worst day of my footballing life at Palace in the play offs.

Think I’ve got the years vrs games right, but I’m getting older, grey matter not what it used to be.

Edited by Gav

After that Palace 5-4 game I was walking home (or should I say floating home!) up Cravens Brow with my mates and we overheard two older men talking in front of us. They were obviously on a big high, like everybody else, and one of them said to the other "Eeeh, I won't even be meithered if th'ewd queen doesn't have me tea ready when I get in!". 

Funny the things you remember isn't it?

• Like 3