BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

3 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Alan Fettis in goal for Hull, and making some useful saves that no doubt contributed to his recruitment to Rovers. 

It was a full 6 years later when we signed him. But you're right, he was awful.

I might be way off with this, but I'm sure his first appearance in Rovers colours was at a reserve game at Deepdale that I went to with my dad. Seemed to remember James Beattie scoring all 4 in a 4-0 win, playing upfront with Per Pedersen. This is all from memory though.

Edited by LeftWinger

10 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Things can only get better....

I took my youngest son to that one for his second ever game. He's still a fan even after that dire performance. Notable for the very expensive Stuart Munro's only appearance in a Rovers shirt. I think this was the final straw for Jack Walker and Don was on his way out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, renrag said:

We were in a pub just outside the ground, fully expecting to have made a wasted journey. One of the ground staff came in with about 45 minutes to kick off, and shouted that the gates were being opened. What a night we had in London, and we didn’t even care that the Ribblesdale coaches heating broke down on a bitterly cold journey home.

Remember anything about the game renrag?

I do love the tales of the older posters . Slightly envious I never got to see not just pre premiership football but the evolution of the game. I do wonder if I will look back on current times with the same passion, love I. E the Doncaster game or even if we got promoted this year with the same love and passion say Tyrone shoelaces talks about a more honest working class less sanitised and monotised game , when local pride and local players mingled. Maybe I will. I guess it’s one for the older posters to answer. A bad example because of the ticket scandal but the best I can think of is do you look back more fondly of the overall game and experience from a pride , love, passion point of view of the loss in the cup final to wolves in 61 (I think) including the run to the final as much as or with the same passion as the Hughes team that lost to Chelsea at old Trafford including the run up to the semi final . If that makes sense ?

1 hour ago, renrag said:

Yah! Quite a few. Roy Vernon had just gone to Everton, and the big discussion on the way down was if Douglas would be as effective at inside left as he had been on the right wing. Why did we worry? He ran them ragged, as was his norm with Spurs and Danny Blanchflower. Also, whilst in the pub Desmond Hackett a journalist for the Daily Express came chatting to us, asking what we thought our chances were. Contrary to the commentary, we were super confident. Hackett told he had known the Dobing family, including Peter, for years and one of the lads said “Oh you mean swivel hips”. Hackett used the phrase in his Monday report and received a tongue in cheek letter claiming he had infringed copyright. Hackett sent a lovely reply. Incidentally He also said when he was Manchester based he loved going to Ewood because of the boardroom spread and particularly the home made apple pie, which was the best he had ever tasted.

As for the game itself, Douglas and Dobing were magnificent, making light of a pitch more suited to treacle wrestling. Spurs just didn’t have any answers. Another abiding memory, is the first goal. It was a free kick on the centre spot. Matt Woods took it and it must have landed on the only dry spot on the pitch and was the only ball to bounce all afternoon. The Spurs goalie did everything right, getting to the pitch of the ball and looking flabbergasted when it went over him and into the net.

After the game the coach took us into London and was leaving at midnight. Some of our group went into Soho and about 4 or 5 of us decided on dancing at the Strand Lyceum. After throwing out time (about 10.30 in those days), we decided to go to Fleet Street to get the early Sunday editions. I think we managed to get all of them, mostly for free, but one of the warehouses had quite a few Spurs fans working there and they managed to entice us into a caged area, which they then locked. It was a scary few minutes but they soon let us out and we were the most popular blokes on the coach as everybody enjoyed a good read on the way back.

I bet Danny Blanchflower hated playing against Bryan Douglas, he got run ragged every time. I'll say this about Danny, he never resorted to under hand tactics with Bryan in spite of getting the run around. Maybe he just couldn't get close enough ! I've seen Dougie come off with his shirt being ripped on several occasions. That old vee neck was ideal for players trying to pull him back after he'd gone past them. Brian O'Neil  at the dingle dome and Frank McKlintock at Ewood spring to mind. Two good players but they weren't averse to a bit of manhandling.

1 hour ago, renrag said:

Yah! Quite a few. Roy Vernon had just gone to Everton, and the big discussion on the way down was if Douglas would be as effective at inside left as he had been on the right wing. Why did we worry? He ran them ragged, as was his norm with Spurs and Danny Blanchflower. Also, whilst in the pub Desmond Hackett a journalist for the Daily Express came chatting to us, asking what we thought our chances were. Contrary to the commentary, we were super confident. Hackett told he had known the Dobing family, including Peter, for years and one of the lads said “Oh you mean swivel hips”. Hackett used the phrase in his Monday report and received a tongue in cheek letter claiming he had infringed copyright. Hackett sent a lovely reply. Incidentally He also said when he was Manchester based he loved going to Ewood because of the boardroom spread and particularly the home made apple pie, which was the best he had ever tasted.

As for the game itself, Douglas and Dobing were magnificent, making light of a pitch more suited to treacle wrestling. Spurs just didn’t have any answers. Another abiding memory, is the first goal. It was a free kick on the centre spot. Matt Woods took it and it must have landed on the only dry spot on the pitch and was the only ball to bounce all afternoon. The Spurs goalie did everything right, getting to the pitch of the ball and looking flabbergasted when it went over him and into the net.

After the game the coach took us into London and was leaving at midnight. Some of our group went into Soho and about 4 or 5 of us decided on dancing at the Strand Lyceum. After throwing out time (about 10.30 in those days), we decided to go to Fleet Street to get the early Sunday editions. I think we managed to get all of them, mostly for free, but one of the warehouses had quite a few Spurs fans working there and they managed to entice us into a caged area, which they then locked. It was a scary few minutes but they soon let us out and we were the most popular blokes on the coach as everybody enjoyed a good read on the way back.

Great story Jack. You must have many more to tell us ?.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It was sad to see Don go but his time was up. Nothing is forever.

I bumped into Don a few years ago in a supermarket in South Lanarkshire. He was delighted to be able to chat about his time at the Rovers. I got the impression he had a real fondness for the club and didn’t bear any ill will (I seem to think he said something like “that’s football and who is Don Mackay compared to Kenny Dalglish” or such like). I have very good memories of his time as manager, particularly the first 3 years.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I bumped into Don a few years ago in a supermarket in South Lanarkshire. He was delighted to be able to chat about his time at the Rovers. I got the impression he had a real fondness for the club and didn’t bear any ill will (I seem to think he said something like “that’s football and who is Don Mackay compared to Kenny Dalglish” or such like. I have very good memories of his time as manager, particularly the first 3 years.

aye,don tried to sign mike newell but he did`nt want to know,as soon as kenny was manager newell was here within a  week

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

aye,don tried to sign mike newell but he did`nt want to know,as soon as kenny was manager newell was here within a  week

Don tried to buy every possible striker who scored more than 1 goal!

Lineker, Sheringham, Paul Stewart, Mike Newell, Andy Payton :huh: 

The list goes on.

Did a great job for us, will be remembered fondly, but his time was up, Jack did the right thing, the rest is history. 

They can't take away our memories, League Champions, League cup, European cup appearance, UEFA cup several times, a small town club punching well above its weight, tremendous.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Maybe some of the older fans should be invited onto the podcast to talk about the great Rovers teams from way back.

I’ve made a number of requests over the years & the few that replied have been featured in past episodes. 

The invitation is always open to anyone who thinks they have something of interest...just DM me on here & we can work something out ??

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I bet Danny Blanchflower hated playing against Bryan Douglas, he got run ragged every time. I'll say this about Danny, he never resorted to under hand tactics with Bryan in spite of getting the run around. Maybe he just couldn't get close enough ! I've seen Dougie come off with his shirt being ripped on several occasions. That old vee neck was ideal for players trying to pull him back after he'd gone past them. Brian O'Neil  at the dingle dome and Frank McKlintock at Ewood spring to mind. Two good players but they weren't averse to a bit of manhandling.

The torture of Danny Blanchflower by Bryan Douglas continued after 1960 Tyrone. Druggies ran him absolutely ragged again in rovers 7-2 home game hammering in 1963.

Lets not forget, Blanchflower was seen as a Spurs great and that Spurs team of 1960 was also seen as a great team. In 1960/61 they won the double. 

14 minutes ago, den said:

The torture of Danny Blanchflower by Bryan Douglas continued after 1960 Tyrone. Druggies ran him absolutely ragged again in rovers 7-2 home game hammering in 1963.

Lets not forget, Blanchflower was seen as a Spurs great and that Spurs team of 1960 was also seen as a great team. In 1960/61 they won the double. 

I was there Den. My abiding memory is of Blanchflower looking back over his shoulder to see where Bryan had gone once he'd beaten him for the umpteenth time. I think that was the game when Bill Nicholson decided Danny had finally run his race and it was time to find a successor, which they did in Alan Mullery.

We'd beaten them easily the preceding May at Ewood 3-0 when before the game they paraded the " European Cup Winners Cup " that they'd just won around the ground. That was Matt Woods final game for the club before he emigrated to Australia. Being the final home game there was the usual invasion of small boys at the end of the match and I got to slap Matt and a few others on the back as they went off.

There's a photo somewhere of Matt being presented with a leaving gift from the directors after the game - a canteen of cutlery !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was there Den. My abiding memory is of Blanchflower looking over his shoulder to where Bryan had gone once he'd beaten him for the umpteenth time. I think that was the game when Bill Nicholson decided Danny had finally run his race and it was time to find a successor, which they did in Alan Mullery.

We'd beaten them easily the preceding May at Ewood 3-0 when before the game they paraded the " European Cup Winners Cup " that they'd just won around the ground. That was Matt Woods final game for the club before he emigrated to Australia. Being the final home game there was the usual invasion of small boys at the end of the match and I got to slap Matt and a few others on the back as they went off.

There's a photo somewhere of Matt being presented with a leaving gift from the directors after the game - a canteen of cutlery !

Yeah, saw both games as well Tyrone. Fabulous.