BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

Anyone else at Burnley when a Rovers fan threw a bottle at the Burnley goal? It hit the crossbar and shattered all over Adam Blacklaw, who, of course , joined us a year or two later.

It was an early season night game, warm and sunny. No idea what the score was.

The lad who threw it was just behind me and I was terrified the police would randomly grab me!

Worst I remember was a Rovers fan climbing over the wall at the Blackburn End and attacking the QPR goalkeeper, Phil Parkes I think it was. Circa 1967. We had some real idiots supporters then.

Another memory is standing on Blackburn station around the same time as a returning football special to Burnley was passing through. Their finest wer leaning out of the windows throwing missiles at anyone who happened to be standing on the platform, little old ladies and children alike. It was frightening and a miracle no one was hurt

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

And, if the toss meant that that was our defensive end, the fans would cross over right away as the game kicked off! Then back again at halftime!

We were playing Arsenal once and we set off moving from the Darwen End when we realised that Rovers were playing  towards the Blackburn End. I'd only got as far as being in line with our penalty area walking along the Riverside when Arsenal scored !  It must have been in the first minute or two. Happily we won that one 4-1 with a Big Fred hat trick. That was when the big clubs started paying attention to Fred !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We were playing Arsenal once and we set off moving from the Darwen End when we realised that Rovers were playing  towards the Blackburn End. I'd only got as far as being in line with our penalty area walking along the Riverside when Arsenal scored !  It must have been in the first minute or two. Happily we won that one 4-1 with a Big Fred hat trick. That was when the big clubs started paying attention to Fred !

Ha! Remember that like yesterday. Duggie was injured and the papers were saying we didn't stand a chance without him. They were magnificent times for a Rovers supporter!

• Like 1

By the way, I believe there is a book coming out for Christmas which is a history of Rover-Burnley rivalry.

You might want to put some pennies away! Its called "No,Nay,Never"!

I'm not the author by the way!)

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stonesrick said:

I was at that game with my Dad. It was in October 1968, I was 13 years old. We used to go to all the Blackpool away games which always seemed to be night matches and had our tea at my two Aunties who lived on Westmorland Ave, near to Bloomfield Road. There was trouble during the game and after. Several people were taken to hospital after the Ammonia incident. I think we may have won 1-0, Malcolm Darling scoring. We were just a player or two short of getting back to Division One. Dick Mulvaney as an emergency centre-forward :)

They had a decent team, Jimmy Armfield,  Alan Suddick, Tommy Hutchinson and Tony Green (a tremendous player who I played against in 5 a side when he had retired with knee injuries; I couldn't get anywhere near him)

1881188703_blackpoolvrovers.thumb.jpg.a338054559e84beb913025bd2da44010.jpg

Green and Suddick were top class players.  Tommy Hutch had a trick when he was running with the ball at speed were he would appear to over run the ball but bring it through with his trailing leg. It worked every time, even watching in the stands I fell for it. Even International class full backs like Keith Newton struggled against him. I've never seen any other player do it.

Both Tony Green and Hutchinson came down from Scotland for very small fees. They had another class act called Pat Quinn a season or two earlier who came down from Scotland but he only stayed a season. He could run the show given half a chance.

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Ha! Remember that like yesterday. Duggie was injured and the papers were saying we didn't stand a chance without him. They were magnificent times for a Rovers supporter!

That's right, Arsenal were top and we were second in the old First Division. Reg Blore came into the side in place of Andy McEvoy who moved over to play in Dougies place. Andy played so well that day we never missed Bryan. He was a very under rated player. Big Fred ran them ragged that day but his first goal was a fluke. He had a shot at goal but he kicked the ground as well. It was a real pea roller, it must have bounced about 5 times. Jim Furnell was in goal for Arsenal and he let it roll right through his legs. He could have stopped it by throwing his cap on the ball ! Joe Baker got Arsenal's first minute goal.

24 minutes ago, 47er said:

By the way, I believe there is a book coming out for Christmas which is a history of Rover-Burnley rivalry.

I hope Parson has proof read it first :P

Remember going away to Everton in the FA cup (third round?) About 1973/4 and was in the away end and some Scousers siddling up behind us saying they were gonna stab us outside, the days of the silk scarf that you could hide up your (in my case school) jumper, a very nice Lyle & Scott number ?

Got chased all the way back to the station but never got caught fortunately. Could have been the League Liner or football special train? 

We lost as well.

Edited by DeeCee

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Derek Statham was a class act at left back, bags of pace, liked a tackle and he was decent going forward. I liked him a lot.

I always regarded him as a better left back than Kenny Sansom who seemed to be ever present for England at the time. I'm sure Derek got the chance to play for England. I can't be bothered to look tbh.... But I hope he did. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Remember going away to Everton in the FA cup (third round?) About 1973/4 and was in the away end and some Scousers siddling up behind us saying they were gonna stab us outside, the days of the silk scarf that you could hide up your (in my case school) jumper, a very nice Lyle & Scott number ?

Got chased all the way back to the station but never got caught fortunately. Could have been the League Liner or football special train? 

We lost as well.

Went to that game. We had a goal ruled out for offside as i recall. 3--1?

Edit----3-0 on reflection!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

According to Mike Jackman's book the earliest we played Burnley in any season that Adam Blacklaw  would have been playing was October the 1st. I went to two Burnley v Rovers night matches in that era. In one we were never at the races and lost 3-0 with Mike England getting an early bath after losing his rag with Andy Lochead and in the other we lost 1-0 to a Gordon Harris penalty. Fred Else gave a Brad Freidel style performance in goal, the best I ever saw him play. It could have easily been 4-0 or so. He even got a hand to the pen but couldn't keep it out. I don't remember the bottle incident but that's not to say it didn't happen.

It happened! Game was held up while they cleared the glass from the goal-line.

6 hours ago, Aqualung said:

That was a brilliant WBA side and that nights game was dubbed the "game of the century". 

Alongside Len Cantello was a young Bryan Robson. Tony Bomber Brown up front with Regis (RIP). Derek Statham at Left back and Brendon Batson at right back IIRC. 

I'll have to admit, before I was introduced to seeing Rovers by my new neighbours in 81/82 I was only ever interested in West Broms results. Mainly because it was the first football strip I ever received for Christmas at aged 5. Why my parents bought it me ill never know! 

That day BTW when Albion won 5-3 at old Trafford I was on the turf watching Burnley play either Cardiff or Newcastle I think. Funny how things work out. 

Don't forget Junky Johnson on the wing.

That WBA side I think was everybody's second favourite team.

I was living in Leeds at the time and always went to Eland Road when they were the visitors.

6 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

I was at that game with my Dad. It was in October 1968, I was 13 years old. We used to go to all the Blackpool away games which always seemed to be night matches and had our tea at my two Aunties who lived on Westmorland Ave, near to Bloomfield Road. There was trouble during the game and after. Several people were taken to hospital after the Ammonia incident. I think we may have won 1-0, Malcolm Darling scoring. We were just a player or two short of getting back to Division One. Dick Mulvaney as an emergency centre-forward :)

They had a decent team, Jimmy Armfield,  Alan Suddick, Tommy Hutchinson and Tony Green (a tremendous player who I played against in 5 a side when he had retired with knee injuries; I couldn't get anywhere near him)

Tony Green- what a talent he was!

Blackpool was notorious. A combination including more than the normal proportion of maiacs  in a relatively small home following and the away fans being enlarged by people travelling for the Pleasure Beach before and after the game turned Bloomfield Road into a battle ground .

Edited by philipl

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember that game from TV, West Brom were awesome. Cunningham and Regis put Utd to the sword. I think a Manchester lad I remember playing against as a kid, Len Cantello, played for West Brom that day in central midfield..

Cantello was indeed playing and an unsung player amongst the Three Degrees who attracted most of the publicity. Atkinson just let them go out and play - the game seemed much more simple then.

10 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

Around this time every programme included an insert magazine called Football League Review. The one inside this prograame featured a centre fold of Plymouth Argyle. Connections to the Rovers are Bobby Saxton, ex-manager and Frank Lord, who was a journeyman centre-forward we signed who proved to be a flopp, overweight and immobile. However he went on to become a  coach in South Africa. Also Billy Bingham was probably the most successful manager of Northern Ireland and took them to 2 World Cups in 1982 and 1986. 1186843335_plymouthargyle.thumb.jpg.83ef2e95e35593f68812fac05334e937.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aqualung said:

I always regarded him as a better left back than Kenny Sansom who seemed to be ever present for England at the time. I'm sure Derek got the chance to play for England. I can't be bothered to look tbh.... But I hope he did. 

I liked Statham a lot but Kenny Sansom was a better player mate. The three best left backs playing for England in my time Ray Wilson, Kenny Sansom, Ashley Cole. Statham would get a game these days without a doubt.

10 hours ago, 47er said:

I've already got a book on that subject which is about 12 years old. Maybe this one is bringing it up to date.

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've already got a book on that subject which is about 12 years old. Maybe this one is bringing it up to date.

My book would be straight to the point and not very long:

A history of the total domination

Blackburn Rovers are still and will always be, the biggest and best football club in Lancashire.

The End.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, den said:

The Darwen end was the home fans end when I started going renrag - around 61/62. Pretty sure about that.

That’s right. After our Saturday morning kick about by the side of the Fernhurst, one of my friends and myself would grab a quick lunch and then go to his grandma’s house on Nuttall St next to the Darwen End and collect money, 6d a time, for parking cars between the gable ends. We always said we would be there all the time, but just before kick off we would go onto the Darwen End to watch the game. With a few minutes to go we would make our way to the top of the steps and as soon as the ref blew for full time, we dashed back to continue “looking after“ the cars. Worked every time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, A Northern Horde... said:

May be wrong Gav but unfortunately I think they have the upper hand in number of Derby games won....The two hats from Pune and our recent demise aided their ascendancy of course.

?

Get the cups and medals on the table, its not even close. 

Unless as one burnley fan once tried to argue, "we've won division 4, you haven't " :lol:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Cantello was indeed playing and an unsung player amongst the Three Degrees who attracted most of the publicity. Atkinson just let them go out and play - the game seemed much more simple then.

The plan was " make the pitch as big as you can ". Two strikers up the middle, two wingers hugging the touch line.  More room for the skilful players to make the play in midfield. A better spectacle all round.