BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Couldn’t you have received a telegram, Grandpa? :D 

Ha, probably. My parents would always be at the games home or away back then Stuart. I must confess I recall  having received one or two bollockings or so for 'calling collect' on a Sunday! Cheers for the congrats pal, it's a pleasant surprise in an otherwise sea of dross.

• Like 1

I remember at that time I was getting over an injury and I was going to Rovers more regularly that I had been when I was playing. Every time I read the Bury report in the Last Sports they were raving about a young kid called Colin Bell. I kept thinking " If he's that good why aren't we in for him " ?

I believe we tried to sign him in our relegation season of 1965-66. Unfortunately City had spotted him as well. They were flying to promotion and we were sliding to relegation so the lad chose City and the rest was history. What might have been ? A great replacement for Dougie who was coming to the end. A year or two later he ran us ragged in that FA Cuo tie at Ewood.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember at that time I was getting over an injury and I was going to Rovers more regularly that I had been when I was playing. Every time I read the Bury report they were raving about a young kid called Colin Bell. I kept thinking " If he's that good why aren't we in for him " ?

I believe we tried to sign him in our relegation season of 1965-66. Unfortunately City had spotted him as well. They were flying to promotion and we were sliding to relegation so the lad chose City and the rest was history. What might have been ? A great replacement for Dougie who was coming to the end. A year or two later he ran us ragged in that FA Cuo tie at Ewood.

Wasn’t Jimmy Kerr billed as the next Colin Bell? Not that we got much time to judge in his 8 or 9 games after consuming our entire transfer budget.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember at that time I was getting over an injury and I was going to Rovers more regularly that I had been when I was playing. Every time I read the Bury report they were raving about a young kid called Colin Bell. I kept thinking " If he's that good why aren't we in for him " ?

I was only a kid then Tyrone but I remember so much about that cup tie with City. It was sold out (52,000) but twice postponed due to the weather and so the actual gate on the night was only 42,000. Fryatt's goal was the only one City conceded on their cup run to win the cup. My biggest recollection afterwards though was how could 10,000 more people have possibly fit on the ground? My dad and grandad then said, that's nothing, we've both been on the Darwen End when Ewood's had more than 60,000 on! Nah, I thought impossible!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I was only a kid then Tyrone but I remember so much about that cup tie with City. It was sold out (52,000) but twice postponed due to the weather and so the actual gate on the night was only 42,000. Fryatt's goal was the only one City conceded on their cup run to win the cup. My biggest recollection afterwards though was how could 10,000 more people have possibly fit on the ground? My dad and grandad then said, that's nothing, we've both been on the Darwen End when Ewood's had more than 60,000 on! Nah, I thought impossible!

City cup tie ticket pics, I’m sure you’ve seen them darren, but they’re fantastic.

F24F6AE5-C0AD-41FC-9AC4-470025B2C13F.jpeg

C89FDDA5-030E-4FE6-A182-95B201D1BC8B.jpeg

C49B8673-8745-4FF4-B79D-761F100AE1F0.jpeg

36EE0AEB-4730-4187-A53D-C30B382A0E0A.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

City cup tie ticket pics, I’m sure you’ve seen them darren, but they’re fantastic.

F24F6AE5-C0AD-41FC-9AC4-470025B2C13F.jpeg

C89FDDA5-030E-4FE6-A182-95B201D1BC8B.jpeg

C49B8673-8745-4FF4-B79D-761F100AE1F0.jpeg

36EE0AEB-4730-4187-A53D-C30B382A0E0A.jpeg

Brilliant Gav, I have seen them before but not in a long time. Is that Birdy the nutter (not current Birdy) in the sheepskin in the middle photo? I have some old newspapers in the attic and I'm sure I have one of the day after we won the FA Cup in 1928. I'll have a root tomorrow and see if I can find any.

13 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

As a 12-13 year old I used to deliver the Evening Telewag , and the Last Sports on a Saturday. I got ten bob a week, Only trouble was we lived 'up Audley', so I used to have to leave Ewood just after half-time to get back to the paper shop to do my Saturday round. It was agony.....

Well done Elvis. True dedication to both the Rovers and your paper round. 

• Like 1

My mate and myself were so concerned about not getting a ticket we got the last bus over from Rochdale on the Saturday night. The first bus on a Sunday wasn't while about 1145 so we were worried about the tickets selling out before we could get to the ground. So we went for a curry in the centre of Blackburn, if you're out there Alec I owe you for the curry. After that we made our way to the ground for about 11-30. There was about 3 or 4 people already there and we hunkered down for what was to be a very long and cold night. I think the tickets went on sale at about 11-00, we got our tickets and set off home and back to bed. Another Rochdale Rovers fan we knew got the first bus over, by time he'd got to the ground the queue had gone and he walked straight up to the ticket office got his tickets and went home ! We won't be on the photos, we'd already set off home.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Wasn’t Jimmy Kerr billed as the next Colin Bell? Not that we got much time to judge in his 8 or 9 games after consuming our entire transfer budget.

I was going over to Bury quite a lot then. I knew a local lad who was on the fringes of the first team and played now and again. Jimmy Kerr was the real deal. I'm not sure he was Colin Bell level but he might have been. He was one hell of a young player, a bit like Dunny in style. The player we really wanted and we so very nearly signed was the left sided centre back, Alec Lindsay. I thought he was going to be the next Bobby Moore, he had it all. He could tackle, head the ball, he had good vision and a fantastic left foot pass, long and short, along with a very calm and un flustered temperament. A lot like Bobby Moore. I believe we actually announced he was signing but Liverpool came in right at the last second and stole him away. He had a great career at Liverpool but mainly as left back. He never really got to play in his best position again. So then we signed Jimmy Kerr instead.

Bury had a Scots right winger called Greg Farrell at the time. When he was on his game he was a real match winner, he was fast and tricky, a left backs bad dream. Imagine a fast Bradley Dack ! Unfortunately he was also blessed with film star good looks and I think he liked the night life. He could blow hot and cold like most wingers. When he was hot he was unstoppable.

On 31/10/2020 at 20:42, Elvis Biro said:

As a 12-13 year old I used to deliver the Evening Telewag , and the Last Sports on a Saturday. I got ten bob a week, Only trouble was we lived 'up Audley', so I used to have to leave Ewood just after half-time to get back to the paper shop to do my Saturday round. It was agony.....

OMG..agony indeed!

My own was between staying to the end or catching the early bus.

The later bus meant missing a connection and being late back to the institution and the risk of being listed to be missing from my desk at study time. That meant the cane plus...well the equivalent of the strap on steroids...

One reason why my head was f*****, when you first met me....

That was my dilemma. How long to hang on at the ground. I always had to leave night matches about 10 minutes early to catch the last bus back to Rochdale. I was really fit then and I'd leave the ground and run all the way up through the rows of terraced houses to a bus stop up by Queens Park Hospital. The bus left the Boulevard at 9-15 pm and I reckon it got up to Queens Park roughly between 5 and 8 minutes later. For a 7-30 KO I'd leave at 9-00 sharp and set off running. Many is the time I've just got to that bus stop and the bus has been coming up the hill ! I never had to make the twenty mile walk back to Rochdale in the dark over the tops but I came very close !

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was my dilemma. How long to hang on at the ground. I always had to leave night matches about 10 minutes early to catch the last bus back to Rochdale. I was really fit then and I'd leave the ground and run all the way up through the rows of terraced houses to a bus stop up by Queens Park Hospital. The bus left the Boulevard at 9-15 pm and I reckon it got up to Queens Park roughly between 5 and 8 minutes later. For a 7-30 KO I'd leave at 9-00 sharp and set off running. Many is the time I've just got to that bus stop and the bus has been coming up the hill ! I never had to make the twenty mile walk back to Rochdale in the dark over the tops but I came very close !

There were 3 passionate Rovers fans, working in Rochdale Social Services in the early 80's.

It was great to see a picture of the famous blue and whites in pride of place on the office wall!

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

There were 3 passionate Rovers fans, working in Rochdale Social Services in the early 80's.

It was great to see a picture of the famous blue and whites in pride of place on the office wall!

I don't think I knew any of them. My Rovers mate then was a lad called Alec, he was a spring maker who emigrated to New Zealand 3 times. I think he's stayed there the last time. I haven't seen him for 20 years