BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I was sitting in the Nuttall Stand that night ....... it was literally shaking!

Never forget the swaying of the crowd on the Riverside.... how those barriers held up I'll never know.

42,000 on Ewood!

Edited by Boz
incorrect thread

43 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Look out for a goal line scramble or two as Rovers go to St James Park

i remember this one with fondness,went on the train with 4 mates,we spent the majority of the game  taking the **** out of a newcastle fan and his monstrously large girlfriend who were stood on the other side of the segregation fence,she looked like giant haystacks(the wrestler) in a white mini dress,they both took some fearful stick, from everyone around us,not just from us,even the police were grinning ,bearing in mind she was about 20 stone,in a mini dress in the middle of a north east winter

Edited by simongarnerisgod
spelling mistakes
  • Like 2

On 16/11/2020 at 18:48, Elvis Biro said:

First time I ever encountered skinheads was when Leicester played at Ewood about 1968. I also have a vague recollection of standing on the BE around that time when we played Sheff Wed. This was in the days of 'mingling' on the terraces. Their 'lads' were all fashionably attired in Crombies and carrying neatly furled black umbrellas. We all thought they were a bit of a laugh until, at some given signal presumably, they started lamping everyone in sight with their brollies and it all kicked off.

I remember it like yesterday. Jimmy Kerr's finest hour in a Rovers shirt!

Nevertheless, a struggling team were 2 down to promotion-chasing Leicester.

As soon as Rovers got the equaliser, the Darwen End just emptied. Wthin a few minutes, they were all around us in the Blackburn End. They had blue and white scarves, but we could distinguish them from our own skinheads and crombies because they were so out of breath! From memory, most of them had exited the ground and re-entered at our end. Pretty scary...but not as bad as Chelsea a few years later....

22 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I was sitting in the Nuttall Stand that night ....... it was literally shaking!

Never forget the swaying of the crowd on the Riverside.... how those barriers held up I'll never know.

42,000 on Ewood!

I was on the Riverside with my girlfriend. Freezing and very dangerous. Crowd surging and swaying with every event on the pitch,

Yet we had 52000 on in the recent past.

She married me anyway!

• Like 3

On 17/11/2020 at 10:59, jim mk2 said:

That place is now a Co-op.....how can a great pub like that go under/

This is not unusual Jim. Shaking my head myself! Our great pub culture is disappearing fast.

Its like the end of the steam engine.

14 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Look out for a goal line scramble or two as Rovers go to St James Park

hI was at this game, sat way up in the Jackie Milburn stand amongst a bunch of knuckle dragging Geordie neanderthals.. Couldn't show my colours, but was nearly found out right at the end with that breakaway attack on the counter where (was it Scott Sellars) the ball was belted at their keeper. As the attack developed I got to my feet, caught up in the excitement and completely forgetting where I was momentarily. When the shot came in I was already celebrating the winner in my head (as you do) and jumped up in anticipation, realising as I landed that all eyes were upon me, at which point I regained my composure and said something lame in my best Geordie accent like, 'Did yee see that. Wankers!" I think I'd been rumbled though, so I sidled off for an early exit before the full time whistle. I probably wasn't in any real danger, and given what I know about Newcastle fans I could probably have had some banter during the game instead of cowering quietly as they bombarded our goal. Suffice it to say I don't count this as one of the finest spectacles in football that I've had to endure over the years. But I survived, and Rovers went on to glory, whilst the barcodes just became the bitter parody of football fanaticism that they remain today - not even quite nearly men!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

hI was at this game, sat way up in the Jackie Milburn stand amongst a bunch of knuckle dragging Geordie neanderthals.. Couldn't show my colours, but was nearly found out right at the end with that breakaway attack on the counter where (was it Scott Sellars) the ball was belted at their keeper. As the attack developed I got to my feet, caught up in the excitement and completely forgetting where I was momentarily. When the shot came in I was already celebrating the winner in my head (as you do) and jumped up in anticipation, realising as I landed that all eyes were upon me, at which point I regained my composure and said something lame in my best Geordie accent like, 'Did yee see that. Wankers!" I think I'd been rumbled though, so I sidled off for an early exit before the full time whistle. I probably wasn't in any real danger, and given what I know about Newcastle fans I could probably have had some banter during the game instead of cowering quietly as they bombarded our goal. Suffice it to say I don't count this as one of the finest spectacles in football that I've had to endure over the years. But I survived, and Rovers went on to glory, whilst the barcodes just became the bitter parody of football fanaticism that they remain today - not even quite nearly men!

I remember sitting in the Riverside in 1996 with my dad when the bloke in front jumped up to celebrate when Batty put them 1-0 up. It was the first point we realised he was a Newcastle fan. A couple of Fenton goals later and the bloke was in tears ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Stuart Ripley plants a seed in Kenny’s head...SuperAtko inspires a front cover of 4000 Holes...

What a great player Ripley was. I'm not sure we'll see many players like him ever again as the game moves away from the old fashioned wingers. 

Also great to see Sellars in a Rovers shirt as this was just a little bit before I started watching football. I always remembered him being at Newcastle as a kid, but he looked a lovely footballer on this video.

• Like 2

I remember that game really well. We looked a class act that day against a good 'Boro team. That was the moment I started to think " we're going up this season " !

Stuart Ripley and Alan Wright had a ding dong battle out on our left wing until Ripley decided to try his luck against Richard Brown on the other wing.

I said to my pal as we were coming off the ground - " I like the look of that blonde winger, he's real handful. "

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember that game really well. We looked a class act that day against a good 'Boro team. That was the moment I started to think " we're going up this season " !

You didn't really start to think that the day Dalglish showed up?

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

Simon Garner’s last Rovers goal...

Remember it well, great following by the Rovers fans on The Cuckoo Road End.

I went the season before and we had around 100 there.

Just watching the Barnsley game at home where Newell sat the Barnsley defence on its arse and slotted the ball home. I think for me that was the game where I thought we’re going up here, no problem.

Then we had the struggles, but came out of the lull at Tranmere away? Wegerle pen?

The rest is history. 

Edited by Gav

travelled to oxford by  mini bus on a trip from the local pub,as we arrived early at midday we ended up in a dinghy pub just outside the city centre,landlord was delighted to see 15 lads land on his dilapidated and empty hostelry,we spent a few hours boosting his takings,no wonder he was so jolly, i think we were his only customers of the week,the manor ground was a complete dump,on a par with bloomfield road and a we witnessed garners last goal for rovers,a typical measured finish

• Like 2

• J*B unfeatured this topic