BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

29 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

river,city centre,we travelled in a mini bus,by the time we arrived in oxford,id`e drunk so much carlsberg,i would`nt have noticed if we`de been in the middle of the arctic circle?

some fell on stoney ground ,I think 47 was commenting on your use of the word dinghy.

Edited by rigger

Thanks Herbie for your uploads - always look forward to watching these.

Do we play with the same energy and intensity today as this team did?

I know that those players were better quality overall but we seem to have players today coasting.

Yesterday only the keeper, Rothwell, Brereton 2nd half and a couple of others seemed to be really up for it. 6 or 7 appear to be just going through the motions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

I know that those players were better quality overall but we seem to have players today coasting.

Yesterday only the keeper, Rothwell, Brereton 2nd half and a couple of others seemed to be really up for it. 6 or 7 appear to be just going through the motions.

Lack of manager motivation IMHO.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

FWIW - looking back to that season brings into sharp focus the higher quality of players in that squad. Mimms, Hendry, Cowans, Speedie & Newell had joined from 1st division clubs; Wright was an u21 international; Moran a full international...that side oozed quality.

Plus the manager was pretty good looking back at his record. ?

• Like 1

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

FWIW - looking back to that season brings into sharp focus the higher quality of players in that squad. Mimms, Hendry, Cowans, Speedie & Newell had joined from 1st division clubs; Wright was an u21 international; Moran a full international...that side oozed quality.

...and none of this false 9 bollocks either, just real men in tight shorts with real bollocks. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

We'd everything then we don't have today. A shape, a way of playing, players selected for their ability to fulfil the game plan. A method of getting the ball from our end to their end quickly. How many of the current team would get in that team ? Is Armstrong better than Speedie or Garner, Brererton better than Newall, Lenihan better than Moran or Hendry ?  Atko wasn't the most skilful but he'd put our current midfield to shame for sheer effort and the ability to get up with and beyond the front men. What a great signing Alan Wright was.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

This present side ain’t fit to clean the boots of their 1992 or 2001 predecessors. That’s why I had to laugh with some of the ridiculous claims of ‘ToP 2’ after we’d just had 3 put past us at Watford.

I agree with the overall point and the proof of the pudding was in the promotions in both of those seasons, but the 91/92 team in particular endured some shocking results and bad runs of form. Had we not scraped into that third promotion spot I think that lot would have been remembered as chokers. Its a thin line sometimes. That said, the spine of that team was miles better than anything we have just now and did it week-in and week-out. Hendry,  Moran, Atkins, Cowans, Newell and Speedie. This allowed the Sellars and Wilcox's of this world to perform.

I would argue that the 2001 team was the best we've had at 2nd tier level in my lifetime though.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I agree with the overall point and the proof of the pudding was in the promotions in both of those seasons, but the 91/92 team in particular endured some shocking results and bad runs of form. Had we not scraped into that third promotion spot I think that lot would have been remembered as chokers. Its a thin line sometimes. That said, the spine of that team was miles better than anything we have just now and did it week-in and week-out. Hendry,  Moran, Atkins, Cowans, Newell and Speedie. This allowed the Sellars and Wilcox's of this world to perform.

I would argue that the 2001 team was the best we've had at 2nd tier level in my lifetime though.

Just before my time but the late fifties promotion team must have been pretty handy with Eckersley, Clayton, Woods, McGrath with Douglas, Dobing and Roy Vernon. Most of that team played with no problem at all in the First Division once promotion had been achieved.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It would be fun to do a player v player comparison for those two sides. I think it would be close. e.g Newell/Speedie v Bent/Jansen? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Let's put it this way...they would have played this current lot of soft lads wearing our shirt off the Park.

More interested in making embarrassing tv shows with their Chav Wags now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It would be fun to do a player v player comparison for those two sides. I think it would be close. e.g Newell/Speedie v Bent/Jansen? 

Picking what I reckon would have been our strongest 2001 side versus what I think is our strongest side of 91/92: 

Friedel v Mimms - much as I thought Mimms was very decent, Brad wins this one for me easily.

Curtis v Brown - not a lot in this one, Curtis was very steady for us but Brown did well in that  1992 team. If I had to rely on one of them though it would be Curtis, so he gets the nod from me

Short v Moran - Craig was a colossus in that side, and made himself an all-time hero on Easter Sunday 2001. However, Moran was a warrior and a fabulous footballer too. His goal at Derby in the play off semi was the epitome of him.

Berg v Hendry - Difficult to choose between these two, at their peak, but here I'm judging Berg at the end of his career and Colin approaching the peak of his, so he edges it.

Bjornebye v Wright - Little Wrighty was a good full back for us, ideal for that Kenny promotion team, but the Norwegian was a class act and quietly went about his business and was a helluva crosser of the ball.

Gillespie v Wilcox - Wilcox chipped in with a few goals in that promotion season and played on the right quite a lot if I remember correctly?  Gillespie had some sensational games though, and him on one wing and Duff on the other was an extraordinary combination of two very different types of winger.

Flitcroft v Atkins - very little to choose between these two to be honest, but I'll give it to Atkins because he was super.

Dunn v Cowans - Dunn was a very talented player when fit, but Sid was world class.

Duff v Sellars - sorry Scottie, Duffer is the best left winger I've ever seen play for Rovers.

Hughes v Newell - it may seem harsh on Sparky, but we really missed Newell when he got injured, and he came back just in time to rescue us.

Jansen v Speedie - Speaking of harsh, Speedie was a pocket dynamo and of course scored plenty of vital goals as well as being viciously hacked onto the Wembley turf on that glorious sunny May day in 1992. However, Matt Jansen was a very special talent and the sort of player you would pay good money to watch.

So the final score is 6-5 to the 2001 team :)

Obviously this is all my opinion and very subjective. You may not even think that these were the best eleven of each era. Looking at the squads, the 2001 side had good cover in all areas, we all know what happened in 1992 when we got a couple of injuries......

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 3