BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

14 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

they were an absolute nightmare to play against,it was literally a fast ,ariel bombardment for the whole 90 minutes

Didn't they have that plank John Rudge as manager? He was an absolute disciple of the the route 1 'style' of play, coupled with as much shithousery as they could get away with. Awful manager, awful team. God knows how they ended up in the play-offs with us.

27 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

John Beck

He did very well at Cambridge. He had his methods. Everything long. Ball boys with towels. Watering the corners so the ball stuck when it landed. He also had a lot of good players at his disposal. Dublin and Claridge to name two who played years in the Prem.

He was at PNE for a while too. The football there was dire. The astroturf wasn't conducive to his tactics.

4 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

He did very well at Cambridge. He had his methods. Everything long. Ball boys with towels. Watering the corners so the ball stuck when it landed. He also had a lot of good players at his disposal. Dublin and Claridge to name two who played years in the Prem.

He was at PNE for a while too. The football there was dire. The astroturf wasn't conducive to his tactics.

Based on percentages, I think. I am sure early Graham Taylor and Basset at Wimbledon had a similar approach ...I think it came from a statistical approach by Charles Hughes, whoever he was

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Based on percentages, I think. I am sure early Graham Taylor and Basset at Wimbledon had a similar approach ...I think it came from a statistical approach by Charles Hughes, whoever he was

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Reep

originator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Hughes_(football_manager)

disciple

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He was famous for putting sand in the 4 corners to hold the ball up.

Also the radiators on full blast in the away changing room and salt in the tea. He also had luminous signs in the four corners at Cambridge so his defenders could aim for them. I was refereeing Preston Reserves when he was there and at every kick from the opposition keepers hands the Preston centre half would shout either jacks, queens, kings or aces. On one occasion Chris Sully didn't go with the command and played them onside which nearly resulted in a goal. Gary Peters (Becks number 2) went apoplectic at Sully who, in his defence said he was confused between kings and queens. It transpired that each shout was a code to do something in unison. 

On another occasion I was refereeing at Lincoln when he was there and at 2.55 the police entered the home dressing room and arrested him in front of the team. He was charged with some tax evasion thing, from memory based on the cigarette and booze run from France.

Quite a character.

• Like 9

Just now, arbitro said:

Also the radiators on full blast in the away changing room and salt in the tea. He also had luminous signs in the four corners at Cambridge so his defenders could aim for them. I was refereeing Preston Reserves when he was there and at every kick from the opposition keepers hands the Preston centre half would shout either jacks, queens, kings or aces. On one occasion Chris Sully didn't go with the command and played them onside which nearly resulted in a goal. Gary Peters (Becks number 2) went apoplectic at Sully who, in his defence said he was confused between kings and queens. It transpired that each shout was a code to do something in unison. 

On another occasion I was refereeing at Lincoln when he was there and at 2.55 the police entered the home dressing room and arrested him in front of the team. He was charged with some tax evasion thing, from memory based on the cigarette and booze run from France.

Quite a character.

Haha, brilliant, does indeed sound like a 'character. It was hoofball on steroids really, total percentages. He did amazing with that Cambridge team so it was certainly effective. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Haha, brilliant, does indeed sound like a 'character. It was hoofball on steroids really, total percentages. He did amazing with that Cambridge team so it was certainly effective. 

It was something different and original that opposition managers took time to come to terms with. A bit like Sheffield United with their overlapping centre halves.