BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Pompey got lucky with that last goal but if you  get on the front foot the ball will run for you. We should get Richard Brown back in to show a few of our defenders how to cross a ball. That was perfect for the Speedie header !

Watching Alan Wright and Richard Brown shows just how awful Nyambe and Bell are at crossing.

• Like 1

Its a great shirt, a great come back against a decent Swindon side and a Blackburn End going mental.

Love seeing the chap walking round pushing his trolley selling tea/coffee and Bovril.

They can't take away our memories.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Great celebrations on the terraces after Speedies goal,nothing better than the surge forward after a goal even though it was a bit dangerous if you weren't expecting it and was stood in the wrong place ?

oh yes,i loved a good mental celebration,late equalisers or a winner especially,imagine being at hampden park when it held 150,000 or on sheffield wednesday`s massive kop,must have been epic

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Its a great shirt, a great come back against a decent Swindon side and a Blackburn End going mental.

Love seeing the chap walking round pushing his trolley selling tea/coffee and Bovril.

They can't take away our memories.

And the "your shit aaahhhhhh" when the keeper takes a goal kick ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

And the "your shit aaahhhhhh" when the keeper takes a goal kick ?

Does anyone remember the Watford home game where ‘Whisper chocolate bars’ had a promotion on, handed out in the Blackburn End and launched at a young David James for 45mins :D

• Like 1

Just now, Gav said:

Does anyone remember the Watford home game where ‘Whisper chocolate bars’ had a promotion on, handed out in the Blackburn End and launched at a young David James for 45mins :D

Can't remember that but can remember a black goalkeeper Man City had.... Alex Williams. Shamelessly pelted with bananas during a visit to Ewood. Bloody disgusting was that. 

4 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Can't remember that but can remember a black goalkeeper Man City had.... Alex Williams. Shamelessly pelted with bananas during a visit to Ewood. Bloody disgusting was that. 

That was early 80’s when racism was rife across the UK and football was a breading ground for the brain dead.

It Certainly wasn’t the case in early 90’s, but thanks for bringing it up.

Edited by Gav

6 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

When i first started going back in 1988 there was sometimes the trigger trigger trigger chant from some braindead numpties when an opposition black player did something but thankfully that died out as the 90s came along.

13 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Looked up Richard Brown and came across this article from 2017 on where the play-off winning squad members ended up:-

Where Are They Now? Blackburn Rovers 1991-92 Division Two play-off winners (theleaguepaper.com)

1. Paul Shepstone: Winger who has worked in retail industry and owns Blissful Lingerie in Leamington Spa. ?

Speedie always celebrated his goals like every single one really meant something to him. There is something powerful and deeply endearing about that kind of passion, which seems somehow to have drained away somewhat from the modern game. Maybe the players do read these message boards and maybe that colours their reaction on the pitch when things go right for them (e.g. SG muted celebrations for his recent goals - almost as if he's saying, "there, that will shut the feckers up.." or something).

Well, players, if you are reading this... ;) Take a leaf out of the David Speedie handbook on how to celebrate your success, and just let go sometimes, because scoring for the Mighty Rovers IS ALWAYS IMPORTANT!! (PS you could also have a peak at the Alan Shearer files, Craig Bellamy insights, Simon Garner style guide, Gamst Pedersen practical pics etc etc).

giphy.gif

Edited by WIR Second Coming
I'm blue and white, therefore I'm Rovers till I die ;)
  • Like 2

Obviously a terrible day but a great pic, both my mum and grandad went to that and my mum still has a dislike for Palace even now. My grandad always said it was a toss up between this and the 1960 cup final for his worst.

My first trip down there was for the opening game of the 92-93 season, I think there was still a bit of tension there that day due to the events of 3 years earlier!

I wonder if the Rovers fans stood behind the floodlight pylon had reduced tickets because of the restricted view :P

Echo what everyone has already said, without doubt the worst day I've ever had following football, the journey home was mostly stunned silence. 

18 hours ago, Gav said:

lol,we were eating half then throwing the rest at him,remember he got a bit ratty about it,only other thing i remember about the match is alan devonshire,despite age and knackered knees completely running the game,he was some player