BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

28 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

“Concentrate on the league...”

Remember that game well, the original match was postponed due to snow/ice, we sold out for the Saturday and still took thousands on the Tuesday.

The dingles were going to derby on the Saturday and the police were worried, think they staggered the rearranged games midweek, it’s was to cold to scrap anyway.

Notts County had a decent side, was Warnock the manager? First division side at the time?

The Speedie incident was never a sending off :lol:

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Remember that game well, the original match was postponed due to snow/ice, we sold out for the Saturday and still took thousands on the Tuesday.

The dingles were going to derby on the Saturday and the police were worried, think they staggered the rearranged games midweek, it’s was to cold to scrap anyway.

Notts County had a decent side, was Warnock the manager? First division side at the time?

The Speedie incident was never a sending off :lol:

Neither was his attempted reverse nut a couple of seconds before ?

• Like 1

I liked  Alan Wright a lot but that ball should have gone out for a throw in not a blind over the shoulder kick to nowhere in particular. The throw in for the second goal wasn't too smart either. He made up for it a little bit with a typical run that led to our goal.  

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Found this on a Facebook site the other day. Ronnie in his paper shop on the main road in Darwen, corner of Cavendish Street. Not dated but would have been very late 60s. Can’t see any current Premier League, ex England captain, players running a newsagents. Probably not any League 1 or 2 players either.

A19C7341-2804-444D-9262-2CAA5BC3CA60.jpeg

My brother did a paper round for the shop and I did too albeit briefly. Neither of us ever saw him in the shop though Mark. The shop fascia used to have what was almost a shield in blue and white quarters and his name adorning it.

• Like 3

Just now, arbitro said:

My brother did a paper round for the shop and I did too albeit briefly. Neither of us ever saw him in the shop though Mark. The shop fascia used to have what was almost a shield in blue and white quarters and his name adorning it.

Was a very smart-looking shop exterior for the time as I remember from passing it on the Tockholes stagecoach, though it looks a bit of a jumble sale inside from that picture.

• Like 2

One of the best things about old photos like that are the things you’ve forgotten about. A brand of fags advertised there that have been long gone. Regarding the fact that Ronnie was rarely seen in the shop, my cousin was a textile designer and had a lot of contact with Ronnie who was a rep for a tie company at the time.

26 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

A strange day for high scoring. I thought ours was the only one at the time

BF2931BC-617C-492A-AB05-25907E74A93D.jpeg

The gang of lads I knocked about with decided we'd go over to  Burnley that day. The Dingles battered the Red Rats. I remember Andy Blockhead having a field day in the air against Billy Foulkes and Paddy Crerand getting shirty when they were about 4 down and looking for the smallest guy in the Burnley team ( Ian Towers ) to punch and getting first go at the bath water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Found this on a Facebook site the other day. Ronnie in his paper shop on the main road in Darwen, corner of Cavendish Street. Not dated but would have been very late 60s. Can’t see any current Premier League, ex England captain, players running a newsagents. Probably not any League 1 or 2 players either.

A19C7341-2804-444D-9262-2CAA5BC3CA60.jpeg

We still called that shop Ronnie Claytons for many years after he had sold it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

We still called that shop Ronnie Claytons for many years after he had sold it. 

That photo reminds me of an incident when I was playing youth football.

About 5 of us had met up in town before getting the bus up to the local playing fields. One of the gang decided he needed some shin pads so we all trooped off to our local sports shop. In those days all the kit etc were in little drawers like those in that photo behind Ronnie. Behind the counter the wall was just a full wall of big and small drawers.  The counter was empty apart from a fully inflated football and the till. When the guy turned around to go up the little steps to reach one of the high up drawers one of the lads whipped open his draw string duffle bag and shoved the ball in !   We were all mouthing daggers at him and whispering " Put it back ! " I thought " Bloody hell we're all going to get arrested here and miss the game ".

When the guy turned back around he never said a word, just handed over the shin pads and took the money for them ! I was out of the shop like a flash and never went back in there for years.

I later discovered the team mate was a real 100 % kleptomaniac who'd steal anything not nailed down !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

grimsby is a **** of a place to get to and despite the 3 goal lead we got outplayed the whole second half,remember stealing a football from a back garden and having a good old kickabout on the beach during which one of the mates tripped and fell in a load of dog muck?,a good day out with great away support,it felt at the time we were going to go unbeaten for the rest of the season,little did we know the nightmare was about to begin?

Only ever ventured to Cleethorpes the one time. My memory escapes me right now (as it does most of the time) but I think we got battered 5-2. 

Someone scored a pearler for Rovers and I'm sure it was David Mail. 

Stand to be corrected of course as its happened on a few occasions already. 

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

I enjoyed listening to those two Grimsby commentators almost as much as the action. And there aren’t many players with names like Jim Dobbin these days.

Heywood had a Labour MP called Jim Dobbin not long ago. Poor guy wasn't a drinker at all and he got plied with really strong alcohol on a trip to Eastern Europe. It killed him.