BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

5 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

Went to this game at Bath City's ground which I'm sure had the dimensions of a Primary School pitch - it was tiny. Horrible journey down and back up the M5. Also went to Port Vale and Barnsley away around that time and lost both those. We were in freefall but Kenny managed to turn things round. Still can't believe we lost these 3 away games with the quality of players we had.

I went to that as well. Horrible dump of a ground and equally horrible cocky Bristolian gits/supporters.

23 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Rovers hand Rovers a pasting...

I was there at Bath. Horrible performance and I was convinced Sherwood wasn't remotely a professional footballer. First time I have seen video coverage of the match.

That shot which hit the bar at the end bounced down a good yard across the line and spun back out. I was sat in the main stand right in line with the goal line. I was there with my brother and sister-in-law from Australia and blagged the Bristol Rovers ticket office to let me have the three tickets in an otherwise full ground. We sat with the groundsman and his staff!

Danny Baker on 606 really rubbed it in the whole of the journey home back to South Oxfordshire encouraging fans of clubs which had been beaten by Rovers to ring in and gloat- of course they did but even Baker had the good sense not to take any calls from a dingle.

40 minutes ago, philipl said:

I was there at Bath. Horrible performance and I was convinced Sherwood wasn't remotely a professional footballer. First time I have seen video coverage of the match.

That shot which hit the bar at the end bounced down a good yard across the line and spun back out. I was sat in the main stand right in line with the goal line. I was there with my brother and sister-in-law from Australia and blagged the Bristol Rovers ticket office to let me have the three tickets in an otherwise full ground. We sat with the groundsman and his staff!

Danny Baker on 606 really rubbed it in the whole of the journey home back to South Oxfordshire encouraging fans of clubs which had been beaten by Rovers to ring in and gloat- of course they did but even Baker had the good sense not to take any calls from a dingle.

i first saw sherwood at the barnsley match a few weeks later and i  was convinced kenny had signed  someone off the street,he was so bad it was painful to watch,think he was hooked after 50 minutes,thankfully after that he was`nt seen for a few months and when when he did emerge there was a footballer after all🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

Went to this game at Bath City's ground which I'm sure had the dimensions of a Primary School pitch - it was tiny. Horrible journey down and back up the M5. Also went to Port Vale and Barnsley away around that time and lost both those. We were in freefall but Kenny managed to turn things round. Still can't believe we lost these 3 away games with the quality of players we had.

Weren't we devoid of strikers? Newall  injured and Speedie suspended? Or have I remembered it wrong (again)?

6 hours ago, Tabula Rasa said:

Plenty more photos and facts where this came from.

To think what some of these fellas must have witnessed only a few years before. 

Puts our present day problems to shame. 

Brilliant website.

https://www.footballandthefirstworldwar.org/

Blackburn Rovers 1920/21

Its not often a Rovers photograph comes along these days that I've not seen before, but this is one of them, thanks for sharing.

I want to say its taken at the back of Nuttall Street stand?

Edited by Gav

59 minutes ago, renrag said:

The last Rovers player leaving the tunnel had the blue on the opposite side to all the other players

And the Spurs players looked like they had different coloured shorts, or knickers as they were called in those days.

Edited by bazza
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bazza said:

And the Spurs players looked like they had different coloured shorts, or knickers as they were called in those days.

One thing that photo should do is stop all the arguments about which side of the shirt should be blue and which side should be white. 

14 hours ago, Gav said:

Its not often a Rovers photograph comes along these days that I've not seen before, but this is one of them, thanks for sharing.

I want to say its taken at the back of Nuttall Street stand?

Another one, Gav?

Rovers vs Bradford City FA Cup semi-final 1911. 

C/o @FootballWW1

• Like 3

7 hours ago, renrag said:

It was at Bramall Lane Tony.

Edit! Strange they held a semi final there as it was only a three sided ground right into the 1960’s

Doubled up as a cricket ground I believe renrag?

Thanks for the photo Rasa 👍

5 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The first time the Rovers fans could be heard shouting “SHEARER...!” but...to no avail...right in the middle of a major crisis...

When your luck's out it really is out. Having said that we have them pinned in by the corner flag with a throw in and they get out and go the length of the field to score !

i was`nt a happy bunny after this,5 of us travelled up to barnsley and the wonderfully decrepit oakwell,our expensive side was simply outplayed,remember seeing the team coach on the way back,kenny must have ripped into them and got them on the bus within half an hour,they all looked miserable and wegerle was sat on his own in the spare drivers seat looking sad,he must have taken most of kenny`s rage!!

8 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The first time the Rovers fans could be heard shouting “SHEARER...!” but...to no avail...right in the middle of a major crisis...

Big following from Rovers. We filled the terracing behind the goal and we had the paddock in front of the main stand aswell. 

Kicked off in the tunnel at the end of the game iirc. Ray Harford v a Barnsley player. Maybe ex Burnley player but can't recall his namem

• Like 1