BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

6 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

missed the game due to my dad insisting i go to work with him,spent the day chipping paint off a metal gate🙄,paled into insignificence compared to events in sheffield.Always nice to see john bond,hero to rovers fans everywhere,what a top bloke!!!!!

Remind me why John Bond is a hero? (My memory is going...) I just remember slagging him off on Blackburn Station after that match when John Bailey took the piss out of Peter Osgood so much that Osgood chinned him and got sent off. The glorious days of the newly christened 'AFC Bournemouth', I think.

21 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

Remind me why John Bond is a hero? (My memory is going...) I just remember slagging him off on Blackburn Station after that match when John Bailey took the piss out of Peter Osgood so much that Osgood chinned him and got sent off. The glorious days of the newly christened 'AFC Bournemouth', I think.

he dismantled burnley`s promising young squad,brian laws,lee dixon and the excellent trevor steven were sold for peanuts accelerating their descend into oblivion in the 80`s,i can remember their relegation game against orient,was on my paper round with the radio stuck to my ear,still think they bribed the londoners to lose🙄

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, renrag said:

That was Southampton on one bonfire day. Laurie MacNemeny was their manager. John Bond is a hero for his magnificent achievements at the dingles. A bit like Kean is their hero

Were Southampton not down to 9 men in the end? Steve Williams the other sent off?

I remember supporters in the Nuttall St Enclosure climbing over the wall at the final whistle!

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

Not for the faint hearted...Wemberlee here we come...

One of my best Rovers memories that night at the Baseball ground. Brilliant atmosphere and a packed away end. 

Didn't Speedie get assaulted by a Rams fan on the way off the pitch? 

What a night that was. 

20 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

One of my best Rovers memories that night at the Baseball ground. Brilliant atmosphere and a packed away end. 

Didn't Speedie get assaulted by a Rams fan on the way off the pitch? 

What a night that was. 

yep,a chav tried to get at speedie at the final whistle,think he was grabbed by a policeman before speedie reacted🙂,moran and hendry were superb that night,moran is deffo my favourite ever rovers centre back,just in front of keeley and faz,a genuinely hard man who was disapointed if he came off the pitch without a bandage

• Like 2

10 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

watched it on the big screen at ewood standing on the hallowed turf,did`nt see much of the last twenty minutes,i spend it looking looking up at the heavens praying derby would`nt score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The screen was in the corner between the BBE and the Riverside.I was situated near to the front and folk were stood as far back as the Darwen end terrace.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Were Southampton not down to 9 men in the end? Steve Williams the other sent off?

I remember supporters in the Nuttall St Enclosure climbing over the wall at the final whistle!

The story goes Nick that in the game at the Dell John Bailey had allegedly called several of the Southampton players 'has-beens' which pricked the egos of the likes of Osgood and Ball. Their retribution was to kick lumps out of him at the return game some weeks later.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

yep,a chav tried to get at speedie at the final whistle,think he was grabbed by a policeman before speedie reacted🙂,moran and hendry were superb that night,moran is deffo my favourite ever rovers centre back,just in front of keeley and faz,a genuinely hard man who was disapointed if he came off the pitch without a bandage

How many of the current team do you think would have gone in like that to win that header ? Lenihan, maybe. Then that's it.

I posted in the Huddersfield thread just after the match that we had become a team of 'soft pussies' and need some tougher players in the team.

I think around the 1999 to 2001 season, supporters were given the opportunity to select their dream team to be published in the 'Rovertime' programme. Here was mine which you can see was a 'hard man' side. Could do with a couple of these in the team now!'Killer Keeley' a bit unfortunate to make the team but in todays game he would have been suspended for over half the season ;)

dream team.jpeg 2.jpeg

Edited by Stonesrick
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

I posted in the Huddersfield thread just after the match that we had become a team of 'soft pussies' and need some tougher players in the team.

I think around the 1999 to 2001 season, supporters were given the opportunity to select their dream team to be published in the 'Rovertime' programme. Here was mine which you can see was a 'hard man' side. Could do with a couple of these in the team now!'Killer Keeley' a bit unfortunate to make the team but in todays game he would have been suspended for over half the season ;)

dream team.jpeg 2.jpeg

John Bray might have been before your time but he was a rough handful at fullback. Matt Woods wasn't a nasty player but he was a tough as teak centre half. When I look at how many games our current centre halves manage without limping off with some knock or other I just shake my head. Coming slightly more up to date, Ken Knighton and Alan Hunter were two players who could look after themselves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, renrag said:

Whoever thought of bringing out the blue and white shirts at Wembley, got it spot on and put the finishing touch to a superb day 

Yes a nice touch that. The days when people within the club had a brain and cared, that’s the difference to now. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, renrag said:

Whoever thought of bringing out the blue and white shirts at Wembley, got it spot on and put the finishing touch to a superb day 

I think they got the idea from Barcalona who had won the European cup at Wembley for the first time 5 days before we played there,thay had their away kit on for the final and swapped into their usual shirts for the celebrations.

• Like 2

On 31/12/2020 at 07:52, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The screen was in the corner between the BBE and the Riverside.I was situated near to the front and folk were stood as far back as the Darwen end terrace.

I was there on the pitch which looked more mud than grass and stank to high heaven.

On 31/12/2020 at 08:01, arbitro said:

The story goes Nick that in the game at the Dell John Bailey had allegedly called several of the Southampton players 'has-beens' which pricked the egos of the likes of Osgood and Ball. Their retribution was to kick lumps out of him at the return game some weeks later.

I thought that the first player to be sent off was a young lad who was being given the runaround by Bailey. I was in the Riverside and watched Osgood run from near us on the Saints' left wing diagonally towards the corner flag between Nuttall Street and Blackburn End. He caught up with Bailey just as Bailey got into the Saints' penalty area, scythed him down mercilessly and then stamped on him thereby giving us a penalty and getting sent off.

The TV pundits felt sorry for Southampton. I felt sorry for Bailey. At least Alan Ball admitted at the end of the season, after they had been promoted, that Rovers had given them a difficult time.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2020 at 15:12, Mattyblue said:

I was sitting in the Riverside for the Derby first leg. 

I can still remember the two lads down my row leaving at 2-0 down, ‘f*cking play-offs again’

I remember I did similar against Everton once at Ewood Matty. I forget the year but we were 2 down at Half Time, we left and went to EWC for a couple of pints. Predictably I guess, we pulled it back to 2-2 in the second half.

The only other time, in 54 years, was away at Swansea, when the band of supporters I was with and I, left en masse, at half time too. That night, we were out on the town in Cardiff, as we were staying over and spotted Joe Calzaghe having a pint with a mate outside a bar. Some of our intrepid band (you know who you are!) couldn't resist asking for photos with the great man. They asked Joe's mate if he'd take the photos of them all and he duly obliged. As they returned to the rest of the group, proud as punch, one of us told them, "it was bloody good of Nathan Cleverly to take your photos lads, do you not think he'll be a little pissed off and offended that you didn't ask him for a picture too?" They had no idea!