BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

On 30/12/2020 at 16:24, simongarnerisgod said:

watched it on the big screen at ewood standing on the hallowed turf,did`nt see much of the last twenty minutes,i spend it looking looking up at the heavens praying derby would`nt score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too. 

On 31/12/2020 at 02:52, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The screen was in the corner between the BBE and the Riverside.I was situated near to the front and folk were stood as far back as the Darwen end terrace.

My mind has it at the other end of the ground. Riverside-Darwen end corner. You sound like you remember better than I though. 

23 hours ago, bazza said:

I was there on the pitch which looked more mud than grass and stank to high heaven.

That surprised me too. There was hardly a blade of grass in sight. It was really bumpy too. 

Screen was definitely Blackburn End/ Riverside.

Although I do remember sitting in the Darwen End new stand to watch another game on a big screen which was in the Darwen End penalty area. What game was that?

Edited by bazza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

The Charlton and Southampton away games in the relegation run-in in 1999 were both shown at Ewood.

I’m sure there’s another too, but I can’t think of it.

from somewhat vague memory i think it was a cup match away at charlton in circa 92/93,they were demolishing the nuttall street stand at the time,we were sat in the spanking new darwen end

15 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Could have done with that last Wednesday night Mark!

Too right Nick! Loving your family history by the way. I haven’t been on this thread for a while, so I’ve only caught up over the last few days. The photo of your great grandad, just like looking at your dad! 

My auntie lived on Bolton Road, opposite St Bartholomew’s, Rovers mad and also went to the 1928 Cup Final. Passed away a good few years ago but was still going on during the early Premier League years. Wish I’d asked her more about the final.

You have my sympathy re the sciatica. I’m a fellow sufferer but have been free of it for three years. I know how to manage it, thankfully. I remember staying back in the Blackburn End after one game (with Arbitro actually), protesting at Kean/Venky’s and I was really struggling.

Anyway, I look forward to the next instalment!!

• Like 1

I've just unearthed this photo amongst the archives:

Blackburn Rovers, 1938/39 season, Division 2 Champions with 55 points (2 points/win) from 42 matches.

After referring to Mike Jackman, the squad consisted of basically 15 players, with a total of 4 others chipping in with the odd game. The little petals don't know they are born in this day and age!

Blackburn Rovers 1938:9.JPG

Blackburn Rovers 1938:39.JPG

• Like 8

On 02/01/2021 at 06:29, darrenrover said:

I remember I did similar against Everton once at Ewood Matty. I forget the year but we were 2 down at Half Time, we left and went to EWC for a couple of pints. Predictably I guess, we pulled it back to 2-2 in the second half.

Last time we drew 2-2 with Everton at Ewood Park was on Christmas Day 1925. No wonder you've forgotten the year!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Last time we drew 2-2 with Everton at Ewood Park was on Christmas Day 1925. No wonder you've forgotten the year!!

My bad Leftpegger, you're correct, please forgive me for my inaccuracies! 😀

It irks me to admit that We didn't claw that back at all.

It was 2005/6, were 2-0 down at halftime, James McFadden and Mikel Arteta scoring for The Toffees on 28 and 45 minutes respectively and Andy Todd sent off in the 31st Minute.

You attend that many matches over 54 years, you do tend to forget the odd specific without reference.

Whatever, I still left at Half Time and had a couple of pints in Ewood Working Mens Club. Please don't tell me I had 4 pints and one was Guiness because you could well be right! 😉😀

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

My bad Leftpegger, you're correct, please forgive me for my inaccuracies! 😀

It irks me to admit that We didn't claw that back at all.

It was 2005/6, were 2-0 down at halftime, James McFadden and Mikel Arteta scoring for The Toffees on 28 and 45 minutes respectively and Andy Todd sent off in the 31st Minute.

You attend that many matches over 54 years, you do tend to forget the odd specific without reference.

Whatever, I still left at Half Time and had a couple of pints in Ewood Working Mens Club. Please don't tell me I had 4 pints and one was Guiness because you could well be right! 😉😀

I only looked it up as I thought it was the game where N'Zonzi scored a belter from 30 yards - but we actually lost that one 3-2.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I've just unearthed this photo amongst the archives:

Blackburn Rovers, 1938/39 season, Division 2 Champions with 55 points (2 points/win) from 42 matches.

After referring to Mike Jackman, the squad consisted of basically 15 players, with a total of 4 others chipping in with the odd game. The little petals don't know they are born in this day and age!

Blackburn Rovers 1938:9.JPG

Blackburn Rovers 1938:39.JPG

Interesting to see that the information has us founded in 1874. 

On 26/12/2020 at 19:09, J*B said:

I’m looking for any images of the old seating in the Riverside - not the benches in the wings (see attached) but the central seating. If you’ve got any, let me know!

DFB247FF-171A-47EE-9C1F-BC3F32E8909C.jpeg

I have a book called save the riverside stand by Peter White with some excellent old Photographs of Ewood and players.  Since you posted this, I have been looking all over the place for it with a view to sending it to you.  Unfortunately, I can’t find it anywhere including spending some time in the loft, freezing my bollocks off, resulting in Mrs 4000 holes giving said bollocks a good kicking for making the whole house cold.

When the weather improves or gets warmer, I will have another look.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

I have a book called save the riverside stand by Peter White with some excellent old Photographs of Ewood and players.  Since you posted this, I have been looking all over the place for it with a view to sending it to you.  Unfortunately, I can’t find it anywhere including spending some time in the loft, freezing my bollocks off, resulting in Mrs 4000 holes giving said bollocks a good kicking for making the whole house cold.

When the weather improves or gets warmer, I will have another look.

Thanks! Reason I ask is because I have two seats which I am told are originals, taken out of the riverside stand. If they are, I’m going to give them away to BRFCS members. I’ve attached the images and what I believe to be an image showing them in situ originally. 

AEBA32DA-8960-41B5-9D56-C68DB4D259BD.jpeg

641AA0E1-EECB-44EE-8277-72BF98D19F67.jpeg

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

Thanks! Reason I ask is because I have two seats which I am told are originals, taken out of the riverside stand. If they are, I’m going to give them away to BRFCS members. I’ve attached the images and what I believe to be an image showing them in situ originally. 

I used to work at Thwaites putting Stein into kegs

1 hour ago, J*B said:

I would say they were Riverside central section; the outer sections were benches and I seem to recall the backs of the Nuttall St stand seats were curved, it being for posh folk (and pensioners by the Darwen End).

18 hours ago, rigger said:

I used to work at Thwaites putting Stein into kegs

3 hours ago, rigger said:

We also used to keg Harp Larger, That was the same.

Both were around when I was a kid yet were gone by the time I was old enough to drink so never had any of it. I also remember those massive cans of Foster's. I assume that they are long gone too. 

Harp has a following over here. "Irish" bars countrywide sell it.

23 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Saw a great piece of graffiti on a bog wall once..

" Knowledge is knowing Frankenstein is not the monster.

Wisdom is knowing that he is.."

Albert Einstein was certainly a genius but his brother Frank was a totally different kettle of fish.

• Like 4

On 05/01/2021 at 08:39, Exiled in Toronto said:

I would say they were Riverside central section; the outer sections were benches and I seem to recall the backs of the Nuttall St stand seats were curved, it being for posh folk (and pensioners by the Darwen End).

My Dad and I had a season ticket for years in the Nuttall St Stand. From the early 50's on the seats were benches.

At some point later in the later 50's they replaced them with individtual seats. But they were never painted, just plain wood.