BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

On 10/01/2021 at 20:02, Exiled in Toronto said:

Personally, I always preferred the livery of the Darwen buses. We lucky people in Tockholes were served by both, albeit highly infrequently.

F1C6A272-EB96-42CF-97D8-9D9F8E1AD2AD.jpeg

Always absolutely gleaming at all times too!

Great fun jumping off at 30mph too. Imagine Elf and Safety of today contemplating that in a risk assessment?!

On 10/01/2021 at 20:02, Exiled in Toronto said:

Personally, I always preferred the livery of the Darwen buses. We lucky people in Tockholes were served by both, albeit highly infrequently.

F1C6A272-EB96-42CF-97D8-9D9F8E1AD2AD.jpeg

Where is that photo taken?

Is that The Brownhill pub in the background?

4 hours ago, Gav said:

Where is that photo taken?

Is that The Brownhill pub in the background?

I would hazard a guess that the bus was hired out for the day by a local church, youth club or school for their annual event. The background doesn’t lend itself to the usual route of the Darwen bus, but I have no idea where it is.

The Mission I attended growing up used to hire out two Blackburn buses for the annual Summer outing to Lytham which we looked forward to. There were lots of games for the young kids, football, rounders and races for the older ones. The ladies were tasked with providing the buffet. It’s unlikely that sort of simple entertainment would occur today, but it’s what held communities together and for some was the nearest they got to a holiday.

14 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Always absolutely gleaming at all times too!

Great fun jumping off at 30mph too. Imagine Elf and Safety of today contemplating that in a risk assessment?!

You must be posh Nick and referring to th'express 😁😁😁. The regular buses rarely got over 15 mph due to lots of stops.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gav said:

Millwall away 88/89?

Great photo that Gav. A mate of mine went to Millwall (not sure if it was that game) and they found a boozer near the ground. The bravest one of the four said he’d go in and order a half and, if it looked a rough hole, he’d down the half in one and be back out before they knew it. A few minutes later and no sign of him, they were just walking in through the front door when he was just about to come out the same way, so they had to go in. Anyway, they lived to tell the tale. One of the few grounds I never went to.

The old Millwall Den was genuinely frightening. Went there a few times, situated in the middle of a railway triangle in deepest sarf London. Ramshackle is being kind to it - it's one of the few grounds I visited where the terraces were literally crumbling away with lumps of concrete lying around. The crowd were "hostile" to say the least - mostly old dockers, who hated the ref, presumably because he represented a figure of authority, even more than they they hated the opposition, and young skinheads. It was one of the few places I went where I never wore a Rovers scarf. 

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The old Millwall Den was genuinely frightening. Went there a few times, situated in the middle of a railway triangle in deepest sarf London. Ramshackle is being kind to it - it's one of the few grounds I visited where the terraces were literally crumbling away with lumps of concrete lying around. The crowd were "hostile" to say the least - mostly old dockers, who hated the ref, presumably because he represented a figure of authority, even more than they they hated the opposition, and young skinheads. It was one of the few places I went where I never wore a Rovers scarf. 

I went to a game there 1976/77. As a loan 18 year old, walking the streets of Bermondsey after the game was terrifying. Some may say character building, but I was shitting myself. Ah! Venkys can't take the memories away

14 hours ago, Gav said:

Millwall away 88/89?

87/88 maybe Gav? Millwall were in the top flight in 88/89. Was this the last game of the season that got us into the play-offs when we dicked them 4-1 to spoil their championship celebrations?

Edit - just seen the above post by SGs194

Edited by oldjamfan1

20 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Those ‘friendly congrats’ included a barrage of coins, which you could hear pinging off that floodlight pylon. We were taken to London Bridge station in police personnel carriers afterwards for our own safety. 
Fucking scum are Millwall fans. 

I worked down there for a few days, that was enough for me.

• Like 1