BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

To start the ball rolling, here is an excerpt from "Kick Off" broadcast on Friday 28th April 1989. There is a fulsome Hillsborough tribute at the beginning & I may post that as a standalone item if there is sufficient interest. Of course as any Rovers fan over a certain age recalls, before that dreadful news had fully seeped out, at Ewood Park that afternoon, Rovers gave one of their best displays of the 1980's & a certain Simon Garner scored a fabulous hat trick. 

This clip illustrates just what passed for incisive sports coverage at the time and Friday tea-times were never the same when it left our screens. Look out for the "Fuzzy Photo" competition  (*spoiler alert* Paul Power I reckon...), the "Star Prize"...for younger readers....that's some prime vinyl right there...the presence of John Bond, always a hero to Rovers fans and a fabulous viewers letter - the sort of thing that Twitter has removed from our conscience.

But most of all - enjoy Don Mackay's glorious team on tip-top form, destroying a promotion favourite at an Ewood Park that was just starting to be reconstructed.

Back in 1991 could anyone have imagined that the manager in the opposition dugout might be back a few months later in the home dugout ? Well perhaps only 1 person could have imagined it...

A Rovers side containing luminaries such as Duxbury, Miller, Stapleton & Moran went toe to toe with the mighty Reds at Ewood & bloodied their nose....for 89 minutes....with apologies to SuperAtko...it’s THAT FA Cup tie...

Edited by Herbie6590
Author’s failing memory

8 months later, no?

Still hard to get your head round, as we entered 1991 in a bad place. The team that were perennial promotion challengers had begun to be broken up, some were over the hill or constantly injured and we did well not to end up in the third division... fast forward to that October and what a ride!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

8 months later, no?

Still hard to get your head round, as we entered 1991 in a bad place. The team that were perennial promotion challengers had begun to be broken up, some were over the hill or constantly injured and we did well not to end up in the third division... fast forward to that October and what a ride!

Of course... *edits furiously* ?‍♂️

February 1984, a misty, cold February evening & MOTD live comes from Ewood Park as Rovers entertain Southampton in the FA Cup. Rovers wear some horrible numbers on the home shirts as a one-off, presumably to aid identification...not it sure it does to be honest. Bobby Charlton in the studio, Jimmy Hill hosting....here we go...

The Full Members Cup win in 87 was probably the best day I've ever had supporting the club, I still get goose bumps watching the footage, superb.

Found this picture earlier today, thanks to Blackburn now and then, what a great pic:

70539996_10220344429548651_6601422320873504768_n.jpg.9b270d908a1acafca233a7cc113c20c2.jpg

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Gav said:

The Full Members Cup win in 87 was probably the best day I've ever had supporting the club, I still get goose bumps watching the footage, superb.

Found this picture earlier today, thanks to Blackburn now and then, what a great pic:

70539996_10220344429548651_6601422320873504768_n.jpg.9b270d908a1acafca233a7cc113c20c2.jpg

“No change given”? Bloody Waggott - grasping bastard!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Great picture Gav. Three special trains from Blackburn and costing three and tuppence return.

It finished 1-1 ,Crowd was 56518 so i'm guessing a few Rovers fans made the trip across,we lost the replay at  Ewood  2-1 in front of 54.400 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I remember this like it was yesterday. Other than Travis for Reid and Adarbioyo for Mail I wouldn't put any of the current crop into that team.

different times i suppose,it was a time when defenders took ball and man and you had to look after yourself,the thought of some of todays squad being invovolved in a battle like that makes me chuckle!!!

• Like 2