BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

16 hours ago, Gav said:

I wish we had more footage of the promotion celebrations under Kendall at the start of the piece.

Must be available somewhere, Granada Tv footage with Elton Welsby.

Didn’t Rovers post some footage on their site when they did the Tony Parkes tribute last season ? ?

4 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Here we go....it was TP’s birthday...the kid in the bottom right hand corner taking photos at 25 seconds in is me...& here is one of the photos...?

67161730-3583-4DDF-A37D-4CB5F929F095.jpeg

I remember that game well, we lost 2-1 to Bury. Two things stick in my mind, their centre forward Steve Johnson ? got two really good goals. Also the pitch was really dusty and it was a very swirlingly windy day. As a consequence the referee had to keep stopping the game to get his hankie out to remove grit from the players eyes.

The game at Bury a day or two earlier was the real celebration.

The promotion celebration match under Gordon Lee was a 0-0 draw with Wrexham, not the greatest game I ever went to !

31 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Didn’t Rovers post some footage on their site when they did the Tony Parkes tribute last season ? ?

Fantastic Herbie, I was on the Riverside that day.

As Tyrone says the Bury game away was the clincher, 10,000 Rovers fans, never seen any footage of that sadly.

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember that game well, we lost 2-1 to Bury. Two things stick in my mind, their centre forward Steve Johnson ? got two really good goals. Also the pitch was really dusty and it was a very swirlingly windy day. As a consequence the referee had to keep stopping the game to get his hankie out to remove grit from the players eyes.

The promotion celebration match under Gordon Lee was a 0-0 draw with Wrexham, not the greatest game I ever went to !

You and I must’ve gone to the same barber!

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sorry about the font, my lap top fancied a change. Yesterday it came out with a new one, when I was editing a post it just started deleting the letter in front of the one I was correcting ! Try writing when that happens !

Isn’t that a Two Ronnies sketch....? ?

2 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

That's exactly how I feel. Watching the mighty Rovers drop into Div 3 for the first time in their history in 1971 was gut-wrenching - but at least it was for purely football reasons: we were skint (so were the vast majority of other clubs), we'd made some rotten managerial choices, couldn't hang on to our better players. It was a bitter pill to swallow but fair dos - we couldn't blame anybody but ourselves. So we had to dig deep and remember that 'We've won the cup three times on the run, been champions of division one" as we used to sing when we  visited those 3rd tier shitholes for the first time.

At least then we were all in it together - club, fans, board, the whole town. That's the worst thing that these people have done - disconnected me from my club, our club. I don't think it can ever have been like this in the 135 years before they took over.

God damn their eyes.

Now in three it doesn't bother me,

cus we are the Blackburn Rovers

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gav said:

That looks like Birdy 2 at the front of the queue in the 2nd picture. Next to the guy who is anticipating Covid 30 years ahead of everyone else. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Fantastic Herbie, I was on the Riverside that day.

As Tyrone says the Bury game away was the clincher, 10,000 Rovers fans, never seen any footage of that sadly.

my dad said it was a fantastic night,i was to young to go to  night matches,especally away ones,promotion,rovers fans everywhere making a right racket,jumping up and down and making one stand nearly collapse!!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

That looks like Birdy 2 at the front of the queue in the 2nd picture. Next to the guy who is anticipating Covid 30 years ahead of everyone else. 

:lol:

I hadn’t clicked into them to be honest, but it’s surprising, it probably isn’t really, just how many people in that queue look familiar!

Ive just been told it’s not birdie 2, but the chap on the left near the fence with a hoodie and flat cap on used to sell papers on the boulevard :D

Is that Bushy Ales chap near the front? Probably wrong age.

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Thanks for sharing these Gav. I look at them and each one raises memories and lots of questions ??.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riversider28 said:

I think it is Birdy (Alan Birkbeck) based on the fact him and his friends were at the front of the queue for City tickets. It's strange what the memory holds but I can tell you that they were singing 'we meet the Champions, we shall not be moved' as we passed them to join the queue.

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Thanks for sharing these Gav. I look at them and each one raises memories and lots of questions ??.

Those 2 ladies are very well turned out, dressed to the nines to queue for tickets.

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Didn't matter though, did it , Tyrone? Seeing Rovers actually win something was dreamland for a young lad who'd only seen two relegations before that.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I think it is Birdy (Alan Birkbeck) based on the fact him and his friends were at the front of the queue for City tickets. It's strange what the memory holds but I can tell you that they were singing 'we meet the Champions, we shall not be moved' as we passed them to join the queue.

Looks like the mad Birdy (Baird) to me

• Like 1