BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

15 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Howling humanity - love it!!!!!!!

As a 7 year old, my dad ran behind the charabanc as it made it’s way into the town centre. He was lucky enough to have witnessed us winning the F.A.Cup, Premiership title and League Cup In his lifetime. I doubt that I will match that feat in mine.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

As a 7 year old, my dad ran behind the charabanc as it made it’s way into the town centre. He was lucky enough to have witnessed us winning the F.A.Cup, Premiership title and League Cup In his lifetime. I doubt that I will match that feat in mine.

Presumably we only have to win the FA Cup for you to equal your dads record. Hope springs eternal and I think you can never say never in football.

10 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Blackpool v Rovers in 1960 & a handsome win under the lights appropriately enough...

On the roof of the stand there is an advertisement for The Green 'Un which was their equivalent if our Sports Pink. That was still there in the early and mid nineties when I regularly went there although they stopped printing the paper many years before.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arbitro said:

On the roof of the stand there is an advertisement for The Green 'Un which was their equivalent if our Sports Pink. That was still there in the early and mid nineties when I regularly went there although they stopped printing the paper many years before.

I used to be amazed that by the time we get from the ground to the paper shop near The Aqueduct, The Pink had the results printed! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I only remember the " Last Sports " and that was white. The " Manchester Evening News " did a sports edition, that was pink.

Used to be so excited to nip down to Rawtenstall town centre with my Dad to pick up the Last Sports with late scores and scorers printed in a side column.

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Seeing that Darwen report made me remember how good a paper this was. Full coverage of non league games, updates from all the local clubs and in depth.

Thanks Jack.

I used to jog down into town to the Boulevard to get my bus home at about five minutes past five. I'd grab a copy of " The Last Sports " just before the bus left at quarter past five. On the way over it took just more than an hour. I'd read the print off the paper before the bus arrived in Rochdale. I knew every player from every team in our area, I still do to be honest.

• Like 3

When I was at College in the USA in 1980/81 as a birthday present my parents paid for a subscription for the Last Sports to be mailed to my PO Box every week. I used to receive it religiously on the Monday the next week but one. (almost 10 days in arrears) It was obviously pre internet, mobile phones etc and international landline calls then were an absolute fortune, so it was usually my first opportunity to catch up on how we'd done 10 days prior, imagine that now?! It was also my best way back then of keeping in touch with The Rovers, all the other local league teams and everything else locally from a sporting perspective, through to schoolboy and grassroots level football. Alf Thornton and Peter White were my heros! Great memories.

• Like 7

As a 12-13 year old I used to deliver the Evening Telewag , and the Last Sports on a Saturday. I got ten bob a week, Only trouble was we lived 'up Audley', so I used to have to leave Ewood just after half-time to get back to the paper shop to do my Saturday round. It was agony.....

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

When I was at College in the USA in 1980/81 as a birthday present my parents paid for a subscription for the Last Sports to be mailed to my PO Box every week. I used to receive it religiously on the Monday the next week but one. (almost 10 days in arrears) It was obviously pre internet, mobile phones etc and international landline calls then were an absolute fortune, so it was usually my first opportunity to catch up on how we'd done 10 days prior, imagine that now?! It was also my best way back then of keeping in touch with The Rovers, all the other local league teams and everything else locally from a sporting perspective, through to schoolboy and grassroots level football. Alf Thornton and Peter White were my heros! Great memories.

Couldn’t you have received a telegram, Grandpa? :D 

9 minutes ago, renrag said:

So very true Tony! Also, when you think that before local radio, if you missed the 5 o clock sports report, it was the only way of finding out the scores and tables before Sunday morning. And the papers were on all the area’s newsagents counters by just turned six every Saturday.

I've opened my morning paper at work to find we'd actually played and won the night before in a midweek game, it used to really make my day. If you didn't live in Blackburn it was really hard to find anything out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, renrag said:

So very true Tony! Also, when you think that before local radio, if you missed the 5 o clock sports report, it was the only way of finding out the scores and tables before Sunday morning. And the papers were on all the area’s newsagents counters by just turned six every Saturday.

Similarly Jack the only way of getting midweek results was on News at Ten, invariably towards the end of the programme. And it was as basic as that, no additional information was available until the mornings newspapers were out. On occasion I didn't know the scorers or anything like that until reading the excellent Alf Thorntons report in the Telegraph the day after. 

Contrast that to now.

• Like 1