Herbie6590

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

Just now, Herbie6590 said:

As memorably worn at Ewood with yellow socks...

And knocked out of the Cup with ease.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

And knocked out of the Cup with ease.

andy crawford with the winner,got a perfect view sat on my dads shoulders!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Fairly recent compared to a lot of the stuff being shared on here, but still a good memory.

We went 3-0 up away and it finished 3-3 and we went through on away goals. Cracking goals from Thompson and Duff. Thompson was a top player, very unfortunate with injuries. I'm not sure who it is that plays the path through for Duff's goal (due to the poor quality of the picture), but I suspect it's Dunn or Tugay. Wonderful pass.

The football was a side show, the trip was brilliant, most Rovers fans stayed in a hotel with a strip club on the top floor, I never saw the Mrs for 3 days.......

2 of our party missed the flight home, got stopped from boarding because the plane was full, took them 2 days to get home.

I could go on.

Great times, they can't take away our memories.:D

19 hours ago, Gav said:

The football was a side show, the trip was brilliant, most Rovers fans stayed in a hotel with a strip club on the top floor, I never saw the Mrs for 3 days.......

2 of our party missed the flight home, got stopped from boarding because the plane was full, took them 2 days to get home.

I could go on.

Great times, they can't take away our memories.:D

What happened in Sofia..

57 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

What happened in Sofia..

Stays in Sofia...:D

Strip club, dancing bears, Ewood blues suitcases full of soap, Secret police, Waggy (once of this parish) - Great trip darrenrover, it really was.

But to be honest all the European away games were fantastic, I missed one or two towards the end and I'm gutted that I did.

Lyon, Bulgaria, Germany a few times, but the best of the lot was probably Feyenoord, Amsterdam in the days leading up to the game was like nights out in Blackburn late 80's early 90's, the place was rocking with Rovers, I'm getting goose bumps just typing this.

I went to all four that season (Salzburg, Krakow, Feyernoord and Leverkusen).

I couldn’t make Larissa in Athens the season after, remember saying to my mate, ‘we’ll go to the next one’... still waiting :(

I missed Larissa and Krakow, went to all the rest, I think.

I'd forgotten Salzburg, what a place that is! Savage free kick, Trapattoni and The Sound of Music :D

We stayed in Salzburg before the England game in Germany when we beat them 5-1 - Another superb trip, this time watching the national side.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Stays in Sofia...:D

Strip club, dancing bears, Ewood blues suitcases full of soap, Secret police, Waggy (once of this parish) - Great trip darrenrover, it really was.

But to be honest all the European away games were fantastic, I missed one or two towards the end and I'm gutted that I did.

Lyon, Bulgaria, Germany a few times, but the best of the lot was probably Feyenoord, Amsterdam in the days leading up to the game was like nights out in Blackburn late 80's early 90's, the place was rocking with Rovers, I'm getting goose bumps just typing this.

I know Gav, I was in Sofia too which was kinda my point, along with many others in Europe like yourself.

Funnily enough the one with the longest lasting memory for different reasons, was Krakow, where we managed to fit in a full day trip to both Auswitz camps. That did leave true goose bumps but for different reasons. 

Great trips all Gav, probably never to be repeated and even if they were to be, would never be the same somehow. (Age being one thing!)

What wouldn't you give for a Speedie and a Sellars today ? A great bit of play from Sellars for the first goal and a lovely little inside ball to set up play for the second. A terrific leap from Speedie to hit the bar with a header at the end. He could give Gallagher and Brererton a 10 inches start and still out jump them !

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What wouldn't you give for a Speedie and a Sellars today ? A great bit of play from Sellars for the first goal and a lovely little inside ball to set up play for the second. A terrific leap from Speedie to hit the bar with a header at the end. He could give Gallagher and Brererton a 10 inches start and still out jump them !

Speedie would grab a game by the scruff of its neck on many an occasion. Scottie was superb on his day but a bit inconsistent. I know which of them I would pick first.

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Speedie would grab a game by the scruff of its neck on many an occasion. Scottie was superb on his day but a bit inconsistent. I know which of them I would pick first.

Me too. Nobody ever questioned Speedie's  commitment to the cause.

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Me too. Nobody ever questioned Speedie's  commitment to the cause.

I wonder what a Speedie /Shearer forward line would have looked like if we didnt let him go.

Sponsor

Michael Mifsud has just announced his retirement from football aged 38. Malta's finest always scored against Rovers as I recall..

^ Crikey, Berner, Rigters and Keith Treacy? No wonder we lost.

Shame as that turned out to be our final cup match under Hughes. The squads we had from 05-08 were definitely good enough to win something - unfortunately we just couldn't get past teams from the 'big four', as they were then, when facing them in semi finals.

Shame there's probably no footage of this one! (couple years earlier)

On 27.11.1926, during a Division 1 fixture, Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United saw ugly scenes of crowd trouble immediately after the final whistle was blown. Rovers player, 'our' Sid Puddefoot was seen by many Rovers fans to be lying on the ground after the final whistle. The Rovers fans believed he had been hit by a United player and began a pitch invasion. This led to a dangerous situation in which the Manchester United players were surrounded by hundreds of angry Rovers fans. The police intervened for the safety of the players and managed to clear a path to the player’s tunnel. However, hundreds of Rovers fans remained on the pitch and many efforts were made to attack the United players. Once inside their changing room, the United players locked the door in fear. Soon after, the police managed to disperse the crowd.

Rovers won the game 2-1.

On 09/10/2020 at 15:14, simongarnerisgod said:

iv`e heard of him,he was a headcase extraordinaire apparently!!iv`e never seen much trouble following rovers tbh,got a bit out of hand at grimsby once when the natives were`nt to pleased to see us,ive mad more scary moments following chorley,there are some proper mentalists in that town🙂

Proper twat after a few.  

On 09/10/2020 at 16:49, Gav said:

My dad tells me an Anglo Scottish cup game against burnley in early 70’s was the reason that the fences went up, carnage apparently, Rovers fans had an awful reputation back then. 

I’m not trying to glorify football violence, I’m told that our lot routinely hammered the burnley fans throughout the 70’s, terrible to think of that now, but part of football back in the day. 

Burnley being 10/15yrs behind Blackburn in every respect ended up with a hooligan firm in 80’. Blackburn was the centre of Acid House at the time, as was the rest of UK, we’d move on. 

Burnley SS were tearing up towns across the 4th division unposed and looting Boots during the 80’s, terrifying eh.

Centre of a music revolution or looting boots and fighting Halifax? 

You be the judge.

That would be the case Gav,.mates of mine told me dtories if Rovers fans terrorising just about everyone in the early dark days even away.

On 10/10/2020 at 06:55, arbitro said:

Remember it well. Hundreds of Rovers fans climbed over the wall where the bus depot was, slid down the shale  hill and got in free. Another time a fellow Darrener climbed over the exit gate, opened it up and we poured in. At that time both sets of fans could share the same terrace and a police cordon was the only thing keeping them apart. At that Halifax game the cordon was broken several times as the fans attacked each other. And outside after the game it was like a war zone.

I remember that gate incident.

17 hours ago, philipl said:

Michael Mifsud has just announced his retirement from football aged 38. Malta's finest always scored against Rovers as I recall..

And by always, you mean just in that one game 😂

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

And by always, you mean just in that one game 😂

My mistake, I thought he'd played and scored against us in another game.