BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

disgracefully treated by hughes and the welsh lot,did`nt like hughes as a player and when he treated TP the way he did he lost the small amount of liking i had for him as a manager,though begrudgingly i`ll admit he did a good job for us,was a nasty way to treat a club legend and all round decent fellow though

Apart from when he was man-of-the-match in the Worthington Cup Final? ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

I asked the question because I genuinely couldn’t remember but TP was the inspiration. Another example of his understated coaching prowess. 

TP also moved Scott Sellars from the middle to the left side of midfield. The Riverside should be renamed after TP as soon as the ground is fully open. 

• Like 2

On 02/12/2020 at 21:25, Claytons Left Boot said:

Can’t remember it Elvis but I’ve just googled it and yes, a newsagents at Sudell Cross. 

20 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Next to Seed and Garbutts booksellers? As a schoolboy saw Mike Harrison getting into his brand new VW Beetle there circa 1967. I thought he was coming out of the bookshop but he was probably going to see Keith.

No, I think Seed and Gabbuts was across the road on the bottom of Preston New Road. There was a toffee shop next to it though, which used to get terrorised by us QEGS kids on our way home.

13 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

No, I think Seed and Gabbuts was across the road on the bottom of Preston New Road. There was a toffee shop next to it though, which used to get terrorised by us QEGS kids on our way home.

Us kids from billinge were in the Grapes

• Like 4

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

disgracefully treated by hughes and the welsh lot,did`nt like hughes as a player and when he treated TP the way he did he lost the small amount of liking i had for him as a manager,though begrudgingly i`ll admit he did a good job for us,was a nasty way to treat a club legend and all round decent fellow though

It was time for Tony to move on, he'd done a tremendous job for the club over the years, but Hughes wanted to bring new impetus and he did just that. 

Good players, good football and a desire to win, I loved the Hughes years.

Can we get him back?

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

It was time for Tony to move on, he'd done a tremendous job for the club over the years, but Hughes wanted to bring new impetus and he did just that. 

That's right Gav, I've certainly moved a few on over the years when I've wanted to freshen things up a bit. Its the way of the world.

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

that fair enough,just tell him face to face,instead of him finding out in the newspaper,was a shabby way to treat him imo

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

The lads inside Ewood, November 1959. Some great players on show. Ronnie must have been in his shop.

7807124B-A0EA-412C-9960-21CB434DE002.jpeg

Someone should have shoved that pipe Dougan was smoking up where the sun doesn’t shine, the way he behaved and treated the club prior to the 1960 FA Cup Final. Selfish git. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That's right Gav, I've certainly moved a few on over the years when I've wanted to freshen things up a bit. Its the way of the world.

But presumably you told them rather than letting them find out reading the paper over their cornflakes, which was how TP found out his services were no longer required.

4 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Didn't they have two shops?

Seed and Gabbuts! What a great shop that was. The other one was in Darwen St, not that far from the railway bridge. Used to go there often.

Still have a fountain pen my Dad bought me from there one Saturday after Rovers game finished.

I've come over all nostalgic!  ?

Edited by 47er
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

But presumably you told them rather than letting them find out reading the paper over their cornflakes, which was how TP found out his services were no longer required.

Yes I did and I’ll be honest I didn’t know they’d done that to Tony. Poor.

11 hours ago, 47er said:

Seed and Gabbuts! What a great shop that was. The other one was in Darwen St, not that far from the railway bridge. Used to go there often.

Still have a fountain pen my Dad bought me from there one Saturday after Rovers game finished.

I've come over all nostalgic!  ?

You'll be coming on all misty-eyed thinking about El Greco then, not to mention that lovely coffee shop nearly opposite Seed and Gabbutts where many an after school afternoon was spent nursing a frothy coffee and toasted teacake whilst chatting up (well, leering at actually) various Westholme and Convent girls (usually friends of my sisters) who didn't seem to notice I was even there... 'The Warren' I think it was called...?

Edited by WIR Second Coming
Fat sad football fan with only the glory days of yore to keep him going... Unless...!!
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

You'll be coming on all misty-eyed thinking about El Greco then, not to mention that lovely coffee shop nearly opposite Seed and Gabbutts where many an after school afternoon was spent nursing a frothy coffee and toasted teacake whilst chatting up (well, leering at actually) various Westholme and Convent girls (usually friends of my sisters) who didn't seem to notice I was even there... 'The Warren' I think it was called...?

No missed all that. Didn't live in Blackburn. Going to Seed and Gabbuts was a special treat!

I recently downloaded The Bert Trautman Story and watched it, for the first time, this afternoon.

It had match action of Rovers v City at Ewood on 15th November 1950. We won 4-1 and Trautman saved 2 penalties.

Great shots of a packed Ewood, a Division 2 game with a crowd of 37,594

I also found this game on YouTube ..... note the commentators description of our shirt..... just sayin LoL

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Black Forest gateau in El Greco!

The taste was in my mouth the moment I read El Greco...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Oh happy days