BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

On 26/12/2020 at 19:09, J*B said:

I’m looking for any images of the old seating in the Riverside - not the benches in the wings (see attached) but the central seating. If you’ve got any, let me know!

DFB247FF-171A-47EE-9C1F-BC3F32E8909C.jpeg

That looks more like the Nuttall street than the riverside

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

I was at my cousin’s wedding...kept sneaking out to listen to the radio...guests thought I had IBS I think...

A great day that, if not a tiring one, driving the round trip in the day. Went with my Dad and eldest son and were in Plymouth for 7.30am that morning! Went to a garden centre just outside the city to pass some time and bought a small Camellia Bush. It’s beautiful every Spring having flourished in our back garden; large pink flowers and I always refer to it as ‘our Speedie’!

we also did the same trip a few years earlier when we got trounced and Nicky Marker ‘did’ Ardiles.

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Having been an avid follower and occasional contributor to this thread, thoroughly enjoying it and being able to both share and relate to much of its' content, I decided to delve into my own personal treasure trove of Rovers related family heirlooms and share some of the history with you. I've decided than rather than rush it and potentially bore everyone to death, I'll do it in several component parts over a period of time. It is a part of my family heritage (part of the family really) and something of which I am exceedingly proud. I'll also include as attachments at the end of each piece, photos of the items amongst my collection, that illustrate and support the history. Here goes:-

By actual word of mouth, I can definitely state that my Grandad's first game was against Burnley at Ewood in 1919 when he was  9 years old. We lost 3-1. I'm assuming that his father Henry darrenrover (my Great Grandfather) had taken him, because in amongst the heirlooms betrothed to me was a photograph (copy below). Handwritten on the back (endorsed Henry 'darrenrover'), is written 2 inscriptions:

1. "Blackburn Rovers 1905/06, Left to right:- Chadwick, Whittaker, Crompton, McClure, Bowman, McIvor, Davies, Pentland, Wolstenholme, Bradshaw, Cowell"

2. "Roll along Blackburn Rovers, roll along!" First Division Champions of England 1913-1914. I was there!!"

I've no real idea as to the connection between the differences between the dates of the inscriptions and the picture, or even if the team photograph was from 1906 or 1914. Perhaps someone could possibly confirm which? Having served with the East Lancs Regiment, 9th Service Battalion, during the Boer War (1899-1902), Henry re-signed up to the East Lancs in September 1914 because he was still a reservist. 

During WW1, from October 1914 until September 1915 he served in France, making up to the position of Regimental Sergeant Major; my wife says that's where I must have bloody well 'got it from'! cheeky Mare!😉 In September 1915 they entrained, destined for Marseille. From here they sailed to Salonika (Macedonia) and at the tale end of 1915 was involved in the battle of Thessalonika and the fallback and retreat from Serbia. In 1916 their campaigns were The Battle of Horse Shoe Hill, West of Dorjan and Machukovo. In 1917 Henry featured at the Battle of Stretenovo -Jumeaux Ravine and ended with a final battle of Nov Dojran, Pip Ridge on 18th September 1918. Shortly afterwards he was admitted to Military Hospital suffering from Gastralgia and demobbed in December 1918 just in time for Christmas. (image of Henrys' medals from both Boer War and WW1).

What's the relevance from all of this to Rovers you may ask? Well I've referred to Mick Jackman and the game my Grandad attended against The Dingles, was on 13th September 1919, our second home game of the 1919-20 season in Division 1, the first season back following WW1. I'd like to assume that it was the first opportunity my Great Grandfather had to take his son to a match, having left for 4 years active service when he was only 5 years old and probably considered too young to be taken.

Next up will be My knowledge of The 1928 Cup Final and my Grandad's brief desertion to 'the other side' when he followed his home town club to Highbury to witness what is still Arsenal's record score as they hammered Darwen 11-1.....

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

Henry darrenrover.pages 437.54 kB · 2 downloads

He did well to come through all that !

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bazza said:

Looks like the chap on the end (our right) is wearing his shirt inside-out.

I’d never noticed that Previously Bazza but you’re right. Must have got changed in a hurry to ensure he could stand on the end of the row! Probably just got off the tram, nipped into The Aqueduct for a quick couple of pints, a fag and game of darts, before jogging down to Ewood.

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, rigger said:

where is the keeper?

Great point rigger, I hadn't noticed that either. Just had a quick look at Jackman and Crabtree was in goal that day and he doesn't appear in the list of players written on the back of the photo. Presumably he was still in the pub!