BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

It's good to see the buses registered in Blackburn with the 'CB' and 'BV' registrations. With such a registration on their cars Rovers fans and their cars were often targeted at away games.

Whenever I went to t'Turf, I always made damn sure the car I was in had a CW or HG reg.!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gav said:

Great contrast Colt.

I pulled the photo from 'Blackburn now and then' - taken from Mill Hill flats, Easter fair 1972.

I couldn't possible ask Riversider28 for royalties, or could I 😀

I would gladly pay you royalties Gav. If only we were not in lockdown eh... 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

Dutton's Brewery then rigger, I suspect.

The sign says Whitbread, you can make out EAD in the sign, so maybe early to mid seventies .Used to get the coach to away games from Foundry Hill, so the sign rings a bell.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

I have been looking at the Blackburn Now and Then, site. It has  just reminded me of what a great time I had in Blackburn as a youngster. I feel slightly sorry for the people who live there now. Perhaps I am remembering through tinted glasses.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rigger said:

The sign says Whitbread, you can make out EAD in the sign, so maybe early to mid seventies .Used to get the coach to away games from Foundry Hill, so the sign rings a bell.

I used to catch The Ribble Bus back home to Darwen after school from the shelters at the top of the Boulie: Preston to Bolton bus (244 I think), next to the Rossendale bus where all The Convent girls seemed to congregate.

Anyone else used to ask the toffee shop owner on the railway station for a quarter of whatever from inside his stall, then when he went inside, helped themselves to all the chocolate bars of choice from the rack outside, next to where you were queuing?

I can't still get done from plod for that after 48 years, can I?

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I used to catch The Ribble Bus back home to Darwen after school from the shelters at the top of the Boulie: Preston to Bolton bus (244 I think), next to the Rossendale bus where all The Convent girls seemed to congregate.

Anyone else used to ask the toffee shop owner on the railway station for a quarter of whatever from inside his stall, then when he went inside, helped themselves to all the chocolate bars of choice from the rack outside, next to where you were queuing?

I can't still get done from plod for that after 48 years, can I?

Only if there is an extradition treaty

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, rigger said:

Only if there is an extradition treaty

Chance to leave UK in past 12 months would be a fine thing rigger! Should have been in US in March and September: no fecking chance! I bet it's another 6 months at least too!

Best keep mi 'ed down, just in case, now I've offered mi sen up!

On 07/01/2021 at 23:02, Colt Seavers said:

Shamelessly 'borrowed' from Blackburn Now and Then. I vaguely remember seeing this around. 

94908320_2639919439624069_2486695539358302208_n.jpg

Wasn't there a bus in the 70s that had the slogan, "Bring a Friend and Double the Attendance!" on it?

On a completely unrelated note, but prompted by the Rovers Lottery ad above, my older brother won £1000 on the Rovers Lotto (a massive sum back then!) and was presented with his prize by Gordon Lee at Ewood. (probably one of the worst things that could have happened to an 18 year old, mind... - winning the money, not meeting Gordon Lee!!)

• Like 2

On 08/01/2021 at 09:46, Colt Seavers said:

Doing some more digging I found the below picture which is definitely on the boulevard and seems to be the same place if you look at the building behind and the wall to the right. Mystery solved?

89484653_4277687102248808_7851208553619521536_o.jpg

108 was numerically the first of the 12 Leyland PD1As delivered in 1948 and was withdrawn from service in 1970.

Hiding behind the X66 bus stop is the roof of a Ribble Marshall bodied Leopard which means the picture cannot be any earlier than 1963. The road signage also dates it in the '60s.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, philipl said:

108 was numerically the first of the 12 Leyland PD1As delivered in 1948 and was withdrawn from service in 1970.

Hiding behind the X66 bus stop is the roof of a Ribble Marshall bodied Leopard which means the picture cannot be any earlier than 1963. The road signage also dates it in the '60s.

Good knowledge!

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That bus stop on the right nearest the camera could be the one I stood in many times on the way back to Rochdale on the Ribble bus. I think it was the No158.

My recollection is it was the 244 to Rochdale- started at Preston and ran along the Old Road through Houghton to Blackburn then over the Grain, Haslingden, Rawtenstall, Turn, Rochdale. 30 minute frequency.

Just looked it up- you are right it was the 158.

It later got renumbered when it was extended from Blackburn to Preston. Ribble in those days were linking ordinary service routes together.

The end shelter nearest the station was the X66 to Manchester which Ribble White Ladies ran jointly with the original Lancashire United then the next one in was the Rochdale stop.  

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, philipl said:

My recollection is it was the 244 to Rochdale- started at Preston and ran along the Old Road through Houghton to Blackburn then over the Grain, Haslingden, Rawtenstall, Turn, Rochdale. 30 minute frequency.

The end shelter nearest the station was the X66 to Manchester which Ribble White Ladies ran jointly with the original Lancashire United then the next one in was the Rochdale stop.  

That's not how remember it Phillip. You're right about which bus stop it was. The route home is as you described but I'm sure the buses were every hour. 244 doesn't ring a bell but it's 50 years ago now !

On 08/01/2021 at 04:32, arbitro said:

It's good to see the buses registered in Blackburn with the 'CB' and 'BV' registrations. With such a registration on their cars Rovers fans and their cars were often targeted at away games.

Personally, I always preferred the livery of the Darwen buses. We lucky people in Tockholes were served by both, albeit highly infrequently.

F1C6A272-EB96-42CF-97D8-9D9F8E1AD2AD.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We have trams now on the route from Rochdale to Manchester. I love them, they're great. They're not as fast as the train but they're every 10 minutes and they take you straight into central Manchester. I never bother getting the train anymore unless I'm in a hurry.

How long does it take?

31 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

How long does it take?

About 45 minutes. The train takes around 20 minutes but that's if a train actually arrives on time and you can get on it.  The trams are always there waiting to leave. Plus it takes me 10 minutes to walk from the tram stop in town to the railway station and another 10 minutes from Manchester Victoria to the centre of Manchester. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

About 45 minutes. The train takes around 20 minutes but that's if a train actually arrives on time and you can get on it.  The trams are always there waiting to leave. Plus it takes me 10 minutes to walk from the tram stop in town to the railway station and another 10 minutes from Manchester Victoria to the centre of Manchester. 

Cheers. Going to be moving Manchester soon to work  so wondering if any of the smaller towns in GM are commutable and nice places to live?

10 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Cheers. Going to be moving Manchester soon to work  so wondering if any of the smaller towns in GM are commutable and nice places to live?

Most places in the GM area have some nice places to live amongst the rougher areas  Bury is on the Tram line and probably nearer to Manchester centre. Rochdale isn't great at the moment but it's really trying to improve. Of course it's cheaper than other areas because of that. Lots of South Manchester is nice but pricey.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 14:33, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That bus stop on the right nearest the camera could be the one I stood in many times on the way back to Rochdale on the Ribble bus. I think it was the No158.

On 10/01/2021 at 17:17, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's not how remember it Phillip. You're right about which bus stop it was. The route home is as you described but I'm sure the buses were every hour. 244 doesn't ring a bell but it's 50 years ago now !

Mr Shoelaces you remember correctly. The bus was the 158 and it ran from Blackpool to Rochdale through Preston, along the old road to Blackburn and beyond to Rochdale.

I used to travel regularly from Preston to Blackpool. There were 2 or 3 buses that did that trip. The 158 went via Weeton village whereas the 154 went via Wrea Green.

Philip, congrats on your deep knowledge of the buses.

• Like 1